Rental car question.

mom2juliarose

In July we'll be flying to NY for a family reunion. We'll only be in town for 4 days, and will be renting a car during that time period. My younger brother and niece are taking the train into town for the reunion weekend as well, and he asked if we could split the cost of the rental car and share with them.

DD will be in a Graco Turbo Booster (high back), my niece will be in a Cosco Scenera. There will also be DH, my brother, and I. My brother doesn't drive, so it'll be either DH or I driving... meaning my little brother or I (and I'll be 22 weeks pregnant at the time) will be sitting in the back with the kids in their seats (DH is too tall/long-legged for most back seats).

What size car would you rent? Does anyone know if a FF Scenera and TB puzzle nicely together?

I'm trying to get all the details of our trip hammered out by this weekend, so please share any input you might have!

ADS

Melanie

No answers to your questions. Talk to your insurance agent about how your coverage will work in a rental. Specifically ask if they will cover your brother as a driver.

With mine they'll only cover the drivers listed on the rental agreement and that are named insureds (policy actually in their name, not just the driver on a policy). So if I rent a car and let my brother (if I had one) drive it there would be no coverage under my auto policy. My fictional brother's auto policy wouldn't cover because he's not named on the rental agreement.

Now if your brother doesn't plan on driving at all it wouldn't be a problem. I'd get that made very clear up front. You should be able to work something with the rental company so everyone is covered by buying their insurance. Just make sure you list all the drivers on the rental agreement.

mom2juliarose

Now if your brother doesn't plan on driving at all it wouldn't be a problem. I'd get that made very clear up front. You should be able to work something with the rental company so everyone is covered by buying their insurance. Just make sure you list all the drivers on the rental agreement.

My brother doesn't have a license, which is why he and my niece will be taking the train into town and wanting to hitch rides with us (he doesn't want to ride with my parents, as they drive an old, falling-apart car and he doesn't feel safe in it). So he won't be driving at all. As for DH and I, our current car insurance policy covers rental cars, so we're all set in terms of that.

Melanie

My brother doesn't have a license, which is why he and my niece will be taking the train into town and wanting to hitch rides with us (he doesn't want to ride with my parents, as they drive an old, falling-apart car and he doesn't feel safe in it). So he won't be driving at all. As for DH and I, our current car insurance policy covers rental cars, so we're all set in terms of that.

Ahhh, that makes things much more simple. Never mind anything I said then.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I think any of the mid/large size sedans will work fine.

The Turbo will fit next to a Scenara, but it can be tricky to buckle any booster next to a CR because it's close quarters and you can't readily see the buckle between the seats. If you can install the Scenera outboard and leave seating positions that buckle beside each other for the adult and booster, it might save some frustration (and skin :rolleyes:).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC