Blizzard of '08

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Blizzard of '07

Who else got hit? We didn't get that much snow, but the wind is pretty bad--gusts up to 60 mph. Our internet was down all afternoon & evening yesterday, but at least we didn't lose power, like we did with the storm that hit Sunday. My sister was supposed to come home this afternoon for spring break, but the roads are closed, so she's trapped at school. Both of my parents got the day off, due to weather. My husband is in the National Guard, so he's working extremely long hours this week as they work to help the towns that have lost power and do search and rescue for people too stupid to get off the roads when they became impassible.

Yes, I obviously meant '07. Can't change the title, though. (NM, apparently, I can!)

Last edited:
ADS

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I was thinking the same thing, Hmmm isn't it still 2007 ? LOL Hope you are able to get back to normal soon, too bad about your sister being stuck at school. I would HATE that! Jen

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
hey, it's like it blew you all the way until next year!

It was kind of breezy here last night, our neighbor's basketball hoop blew over and *almost* hit their car, missed by an inch....

LuvBug

hey, it's like it blew you all the way until next year!

LOL!

No snow here, never is. We got snow for valentines day but it stuck to NOTHING. It was our first 'flurries' in about 4-5 years. We havent had snow that stuck in about 6 years. The only time we had more than a fraction of an inch was the blizzard of 93. That was 14 years ago this month!!!
Im jealous of people with snow. Instead we got rain, flooding, hail, and tornatos(it took out a school, its been on the news :( ).

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yup, it sucks! The official snowfall was 9" I think yesterday, but I don't think it looks like that much, more like 6". ;) The wind is awful. Dh said he's done nothing but get his driver's unstuck all day today and that he's going o be at work for a long time tonight waiting for everyone to get done.

arly1983

We got tornados last night. Its amazing that it all the snow and tornados came from the same storm system.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
Click Edit then Go Advanced to change the title.

We're in eastern Iowa, so not a lot of snow, but plenty of wind. We have more downed power lines (some aren't up yet rom Saturday).

My day care girl's dad is stuck in Omaha. No way to get home with 80 closed. My dh can't work tomorrow because the trucks are stuck in Omaha. Hoping to work Sunday to make up for it.

Stay safe!

Mom2nj

We had Snow, Hail then Rain yesterday, and today we have Snow and high winds. So that means everything from yesterday froze and has snow on top of it today. No let up till late tomorrow. It's fun to live in Michigan, you never know what you are going to get.

Jeanum

Staff member
Yayyy, another Michigan resident. :) I agree, never a dull moment. Yesterday it snowed, sleeted, torrential rained and thunder stormed, sometimes all at the same time. Today started out sunny and ferociously windy, then quickly turned into whiteout snow conditions off and on, especially when I was driving on the freeway this morning, yikes. When I got off the freeway, visibility was down to almost zero and you couldn't see if a traffic light was red or green until you were practically underneath the traffic signal light. Then the sun came out and melted the snow away. This was followed by more whiteout snow squalls off and on during the afternoon with more glimpses of the sun. The barometer at my parent's house was reading 28.5 today, very low pressure.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Oh, I thought I had the year wrong! I just asked DH what year we were in and he gave me a really funny look :D

Yes, we got snow and lots of it! I so can't wait for spring :)

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I've lived here for 8 years and yesterday was the first time the interstate was closed between Lincoln and Omaha due to weather since I moved back to the midwest. It was the first time in a very long time that I-29 was closed from MO to SD (grew up in NW IA. . .)

Pretty cool stuff (certainly beats tornadoes :( - Can you believe the critics that say the school staff in GA should have sent the HS kids home? Yeah, like they all would have GONE home. Can you imagine how crazy it would have been to try and account for all the students if they HAD dismissed the kids? I'm sorry, but geesh. . .150 mph swirling winds hit a building - the result won't be pretty no matter what precautions or safety features [besides an underground shelter] you took. Sorry, I digress.):

We had big crash of thunder and lightening while it snowed last Saturday.

It's warm "enough" that the snow is wet and heavy - gorgeous to look at, but it packs down on the roads quickly and is super slick.

We officially got 6-7 inches Wed. night through Thurs. but, like Jennifer said, it looks like less (probably because it's so heavy).

Today, the winds were blowing hard and flurries were thrown in throughout the day so at times the visability was minimal and others it was perfectly clear.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
snow??? Is that the white stuff they get in the mountains here?? We don't get any. The last time we saw snowfall was early Dec. 2003 when we were in S. Lake Tahoe for an early Christmas..

I miss snow.........

UlrikeDG

We're in eastern Iowa, so not a lot of snow, but plenty of wind. We have more downed power lines (some aren't up yet rom Saturday).

My day care girl's dad is stuck in Omaha. No way to get home with 80 closed. My dh can't work tomorrow because the trucks are stuck in Omaha. Hoping to work Sunday to make up for it.

Angie, my sister is stuck in Waverly. Hubby had to send a platoon of his soldiers to Council Bluffs Wednesday night. I haven't tried to get out of my garage since Thursday afternoon. Should be fun tomorrow, as we don't have a snow blower, and our drive is LONG!

JaRylan

My dad had to start the "big" tractor (the one that pulls the cultivator and combine) in order to push the snow out from in front of the garage today on the farm.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
My dad had to start the "big" tractor (the one that pulls the cultivator and combine) in order to push the snow out from in front of the garage today on the farm.

LOL! Isn't it great living in farming communities! Our neighbor came over and snow blowed our driveway for us :) Then the plow came by and trapped us in again :(

beeman

Hm. Time must fly over in Iowa. It hasn't been too bad up here lately, but we sure got a good hit in January. I got snow stayed in the city for two nights.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Angie, my sister is stuck in Waverly. Hubby had to send a platoon of his soldiers to Council Bluffs Wednesday night. I haven't tried to get out of my garage since Thursday afternoon. Should be fun tomorrow, as we don't have a snow blower, and our drive is LONG!

I don't envy you. It's HEAVY. Definitely one you don't want to let sit on the drive for long.

I luck out as it's my neighbor's job (part of his rental agreement for the duplex we share) to mow and do snow removal. He's got his "carhart" overalls and a blower with a wind screen.

Funny 'trapped' story: I was in elem. school and was either a vacation day or a snow day. We watched our neighbor dig out his well drifted driveway and car (which was parked on the street). It was beautiful: bright and clear, so when he finished he went inside (apparently to change and go to work). In the mean time, the plow came by, :eek: doing about 40 and totally buried his car and driveway again. We waited for him to come out :D. We could see the cuss words from across the street. He threw down his bag or briefcase, turned around and went back inside the house. Had to laugh. Had to feel sorry for the guy.

Suzibeck

We haven't had a blizzard, had that a couple of weeks ago, but we have had some wonderful thunder snow! And hail, and freezing rain, and more snow, and wind. I'm not sure how much snow we have gotten, but it is drifting pretty badly with the wind. Not blizzard strength winds however, so I guess that is something.

Dh was helping a friend move last night but they had to quit because they couldn't drive more than 20 mph thanks to the icy patches and they were getting stuck in drifts. I want to get to the library and Sam's Club today, but we'll see.

I am SO READY for spring!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC