Sleeping in booster

mommyof3tx

I see a lot of checking to make sure kids don't sleep much in the car for booster use...is it only because they might fall forward and out of position when sleeping? My 7yr old sleeps a lot in the car, he's in a booster, but he always tilts his head back and rests it on the head wings, doesn't move out of position. So that's fine right? Wondering because I want to move my 5yr old soon and he sleeps even more...but the same way, rarely ever moves his head forward and if he does I move it back.

ADS

mamabear

My DD falls asleep like that too.

I think falling asleep is only a problem if it causes them to slump. My DD, like yours, tilts her head back and to the side and never slumps.Just make sure you have a booster with good SIP to keep their head in the wings. The new Cybex Xfix (there is a pic half way down that shows the tilting headrest) has a tilting headrest just for sleeping. I also like the deep wings of the Vivo, Monterey and the old style PW's for sleeping.:)Although 5 may be a little young to move to a booster full time, especially since he still sleeps a lot. You should start "booster training" him first, on short trips where he won't sleep, and stress staying still and having impulse control, before he goes into a booster full time.

There are a couple folks on here that have pics of their older kids sleeping "in position" in boosters in their siggys (Yoshi and Wendy Thomas, off the top of my head) hopefully they will post so you can see

mommyof3tx

I def want to get him a new booster...both of them. I've posted twice looking for recommendations but not much help :( But I think I'm going to go with the Parkway SG for them both....just need to find that chart that shows how big they all are make sure they will both fit. I was thinking of the Monterey but I'm worried with as thin as my oldest is it won't fit him...no where to try it out...and it def won't fit my 5yr old. I was thinking the Vivo for him, but not sure how my oldest would do in that one. Maybe a probooster? Need to find out how big they are though.

But my 5yr old I'm sure will sit in it correctly, he's very particular about safety. And if you get him fixated on something that's all he thinks about, so if I make sure he realizes just how important it is to sit how I tell him he will...he already gets onto his brother if he thinks he's doing something wrong lol. My 2yr old yelled at his daddy the other day because he got back in from pumping gas and turned around to talk to him and he started yelling "seatbelt! seatbelt!" and he wasn't even moving yet haha. I think I've talked about it so much they all realize how important it is :)

mommyof3tx

Add one more question in here....

When exactly is the Graco high back outgrown? My 7yr old is coming very close to being even with the shoulder adjuster part...it's at the highest level now. Is it when he's even? When he goes over?

mamabear

Add one more question in here....

When exactly is the Graco high back outgrown? My 7yr old is coming very close to being even with the shoulder adjuster part...it's at the highest level now. Is it when he's even? When he goes over?

If the red belt guide is below his shoulder he needs a taller booster. The belt guide should always be slightly above the shoulder. If he's dead even, it's time to shop for a taller one.

Here is MomtoEliEm's data spreadsheet on booster measurements...it may help you pick what will fit in your car if you can't try them IRL.

http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/

mommyof3tx

Ok thanks, he's just right below the guide right now, I say next growth spurt and he'll go over it or at least be even with it

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC