News New Q&A: Child safety

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Where's the safest place for a child in a car? What kind of seat? How to use it? These and more questions answered.

Q&A: Child passenger safety

Sz4x4UgXycw

More...

ADS

MomToEliEm

I noticed that it had this portion in the Q&A

My vehicle has lap belts but not shoulder belts in the rear seats. Should I use a belt positioning booster seat for my booster-age child?

Yes. Research by the Institute and the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia suggests lower injury risk among children restrained in belt-positioning booster seats with lap belts compared with children restrained in lap belts alone.7 The safest way for children to travel is in a booster seat restrained with a lap belt and a shoulder belt. However, faced with the need to restrain a booster-age child in a lap belt-only seating position, real-world crash data from two large crash surveillance systems suggest that it is safest to place the child in a booster secured with the lap belt rather than using the lap belt alone.

Is this the new recommendations that techs should use when dealing with a lapbelt only situation with a booster user even though it goes against manufacturer instructions? In the past, I thought there was something about increased injury from being raised up but maybe the new studies show that there is still a benefit.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
No, but perhaps this research will eventually result in new guidelines and revisions to owner's manuals.

crunchierthanthou

not bad.

I'm not sure on the lapbelt/booster recommendations. Like MomToEliEm, I've seen info both ways. I'm not sure I can suggest it to parents as long as all the seat manufacturers prohibit it.

Also, check out number 11 (harness heights). the info is correct, but nice aftermarket liner on that infant seat. :rolleyes:

mommyfrog

I always wondered about the booster seats and lap only belts. It seems like at least the lap belt could be down on the hip bones and not up on the belly.

Pixels

I noticed that it had this portion in the Q&A

Is this the new recommendations that techs should use when dealing with a lapbelt only situation with a booster user even though it goes against manufacturer instructions? In the past, I thought there was something about increased injury from being raised up but maybe the new studies show that there is still a benefit.

They showed side-by-side crash test simulations in my CPST class. One was lap-only belt, no booster. The other was the exact same scenario, but with booster. The one with the booster actually hit its head on the bottom of the seat. Head flew forward, and down, and down, between knees, kept on going. Much, much more head movement than the boosterless. Boosterless, the head flew forward and a bit down, but not below the level of the knees. Interestingly, they were CHOP videos, and the Q&A is claiming that CHOP says to use the booster.

I think the Q&A should at least present both sides, and let the parents make the choice, since there really is no clear-cut answer. The current recommendation in the Q&A is to do something illegal.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In my state, for a child under 6 or 60 and covered by the law, it would be illegal to use a booster wtih a lap-only belt, because we're a proper use state. The only legal place to put a kid in a BPB in a car with lap-only belts in the back would be in the front seat (or get a seat with a harness to use in the back.) It's actually one of the exemptions for the rear-seat law.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Interestingly, they were CHOP videos, and the Q&A is claiming that CHOP says to use the booster.

I think the answer to this is simply timing. Those CHOP videos are from the curriculum, written in 2007. The new CHOP study that this Q&A is referencing was posted last summer, I believe. (It's been since I was here, so in the last year.) Christinaka posted it, IIRC.

My train of thought has been much like Mommyfrog's, but you make a good point about increased head excursion, Melissa. Ugh. I'm so glad lap-only belts can be avoided in most situations with HWH, or at worst an 86Y. Not that they always are avoided; I'm even gladder lap-shoulder are now mandated.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC