3rd Row on Sienna

coleslawcat

I recently came across a review saying the Toyota Sienna had poor crash test results for the third row. When we bought ours in 2008, I don't remember seeing that. We are expecting our 3rd child and my daughter will be moving to the third row when the baby comes in November. Is this a concern? I know lots of people on this site drive Siennas so it makes me think it's probably not a big deal, but it makes me nervous so I wanted to know what your opinion is on the 3rd row of a Sienna. Do you feel safe having your kids ride back there?

ADS

Pixels

I don't worry about rear impact crash testing (the kind of results we have available, anyway) at all for kids, for several reasons. The rear impact testing is a measure of geometry (distance from head restraint to dummy's head) and performance with the average adult male dummy. That doesn't mean anything for a child. Also, they take the vehicle seat out of the vehicle and put it on a test bench. They have taken all of the vehicle's dynamics out of the equation - no crumple zone, etc.

So for kids, no, I don't bat an eye at those results. For an adult, I think twice.

IIHS head restraint test results for Toyotas.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Not to mention that we are still aiming to protect against the majority of collisions, and the most severe collisions. Most crashes involving the rear of a vehicle are lower speed and less severe, on top of being less common than frontal collisions. A properly restrained child in the back row of a Sienna is likely still extremely well protected.

I would only have concerns with larger children in the rear row of compact minivans such as the older MPV, and even then statistics are on their side.

-Nicole.

Chameleon

I have a Sienna and have 2 kids lol. My DD rides in the 3rd row and my DS in the 2nd. Saves me tons of fighting that way. I'm in no way concerned about her safety back there.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
For a child in a 5-point harness or a high back booster that provides adequate head restraint, the IIHS rear crash protection rating is completely irrelevant. The child safety seat is what provides whiplash protection, not the vehicle seat that is being evaluated by the IIHS.

For an adult, teen or child in a backless booster, you do need to make sure the head restraint is high enough and close enough to the back of the head to provide protection. The IIHS tests are just a guideline for an average male with a typical vehicle seat and head restraint setting in certain vehicle positions. They cannot possibly test for every size occupant and every seating position and adjustment.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC