Rear Face or Forward Face on Airplane??

G

ggirl9

We didn't buy a separate seat for our flight, but in the off chance we get a seat for my daughter, do we install the Britax Blvd Forward or Rear facing on the plane? (she's 10 mos old and approx 19-20 lbs) i have been reading that if we install rear-facing the seat in front of us will not be able to recline at all... I have also been reading that over 20 lbs you install forward facing (so does age not matter?)

ANY info appreciated. I just want to make sure that if we are 'forced' to install forward facing, that that is OK to do.... is there any rule about this?
Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You would install her on the plane as you would in a car. The seat is rated to 33 pounds RFing, and I would suggest you aim for as close to 33 pounds as possible on the plane. The flight attendants may tell you you're killing your child, or they have to face forward, but ask them to get the manual and show you that, and they'll come back realizing they're wrong. The seat is FAA approved to 33 pounds RFing. The FAA's recommendations, as what little information the flight attendants were taught, are horribly out of date.

Don't worry about the seat in front of you. There are several seats on a plane that don't recline (last row in a section, in front of an exit row, etc.). You don't pay for a comfortable, quiet, reclining seat. You pay to get from point A to point B quickly. Don't worry about the person in front of you. If they're upset they can ask to be reseated.

Wendy

Ali

We flew last summer with DD (18mos at the time). It was quite obvious that she was over 1 (walks, talks, etc), but I had no problems installing her seat RF. I just assuredly walked on the plane installed her seat RF and put her in it. I think acting like I knew what I was doing helped to have no one question.

As for the seat in front of you - we had DH's parents sit there, so there was no issue. But I'd rather not be able to recline, than have a child kick me the entire flight!

mamato2

If they give you a hard time mention that not only is it safer, but she is used to it and will be a LOT happier that way. The thought of an unhappy baby might make them back off :D .
C.

gwenvet

We just got back from a flight yesterday with my 17mo old and our Britax Roundabout which has a shorter shell than the BV. The rows on this 737 (Air Tran) were soooo close together that I had trouble installing RFing and he would have been way too vertical for comfort because the seat infront was too close for it to recline any further. IMO (and I'm not a tech) the RF vs FF debate only comes into play for taxiing on the ground. When in the air you are only protecting them from severe turbulence, because lets face it in a mid-air collision, we're all dying no matter which way we're facing. Anyway, I had to install FFing and deal with him kidking the seat in front non stop. Good luck.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We just got back from a flight yesterday with my 17mo old and our Britax Roundabout which has a shorter shell than the BV. The rows on this 737 (Air Tran) were soooo close together that I had trouble installing RFing and he would have been way too vertical for comfort because the seat infront was too close for it to recline any further. IMO (and I'm not a tech) the RF vs FF debate only comes into play for taxiing on the ground. When in the air you are only protecting them from severe turbulence, because lets face it in a mid-air collision, we're all dying no matter which way we're facing. Anyway, I had to install FFing and deal with him kidking the seat in front non stop. Good luck.

You'll note which ways and with what harness the flight attendants sit. :)

We fit Piper's Wizard RFing on everything. I'm sure several 737s. Up until she was over three years old. We put her Advantage before that on several aircraft. We didn't fly Air Tran all that much, maybe once or never, but generally I haven't had a problem getting her in FFing or RFing in her Wizard. Just getting her OUT FFing. :)

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC