Make Me Fit!

Jonah Baby

In my car.

My seat belt never fits right. My car comes the closest to fitting of any vehicle, but it still isn't correct and probably not safe.

I lowered the shoulder portion as far as it can go. Someone suggested raising it one notch once, but that didn't help at all.
The belt cuts my neck and refuses to lay across my chest.

I've kinda gotten away with sliding my right hip towards the center of the vehicle more. This improves the situation, not a fix, BUT the Chiro has told me that is the reason why my back and hips are always twisted. It also hurts my knees and hips WHILE I drive.

I recall people talking about boosters before. I know that the Harmony booster fits my rear end. I don't know if it fits in my car, however. My steering wheel DOES NOT tilt.
Anyone try in a teeny Hyundai Accent?
I have one of those things that go on both parts of the belt (velcro) and pull them together to make the belt fit better. I was told these aren't good because it can ride the lap belt too high. Can I use it if I can make sure its correctly positioned?

Is there anything I can do?

ADS

leighi123

My grandma is under 5feet tall and she uses a clothes peg to make the shoulder part fit better.

On the seatbelt, there is the hole the belt goes through that leads to the retractor, a little bit above that is the thing that adjusts the seatbelt height. The clothespeg pinches the 2 layers of seatbelt together just below the adjuster thing, which makes the seatbelt start lower than the shortest setting on the adjuster. It makes the shoulder part fit across her shoulder instead of her neck.

The lap belt fits well and thats the most important part, the shoulder part being on your neck is anoying but less of a safety issue as long as its not off your shoulder.

Oh and I cannot get the lap belt to fit me right in the car, its always on my belly in almost every car! Its so uncomfortable.

NannyMom

There was something discussed on here before. It looked like a locking clip that attached to the lap belt, and has a strap that went up and attached to the shoulder belt. Many decided they'd be ok with an adult using it, knowing any possible consiquences. It may have been made by sunshine kids?

Evolily

I would see if you can get one of the shoulder positioning straps they use with boosters and attach it to your vehicle seat (maybe with a couple of stitches if the seats are cloth? Or velcro?) and then use that to position the belt. Maybe see if someone has a GN's positioner that they'd be willing to part with.

It's an off label use, but you're an adult, and to me it would seem like the safest option.

tjham

Last edited:

rachandsoph

I would see if you can get one of the shoulder positioning straps they use with boosters and attach it to your vehicle seat (maybe with a couple of stitches if the seats are cloth? Or velcro?) and then use that to position the belt. Maybe see if someone has a GN's positioner that they'd be willing to part with.
It's an off label use, but you're an adult, and to me it would seem like the safest option.

I have one. Just PM me if you would like me to send it to you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC