Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Make Me Fit!

Make Me Fit!

In my car.

My seat belt never fits right. My car comes the closest to fitting of any vehicle, but it still isn't correct and probably not safe.

I lowered the shoulder portion as far as it can go. Someone suggested raising it one notch once, but that didn't help at all.
    The belt cuts my neck and refuses to lay across my chest.

I've kinda gotten away with sliding my right hip towards the center of the vehicle more. This improves the situation, not a fix, BUT the Chiro has told me that is the reason why my back and hips are always twisted. It also hurts my knees and hips WHILE I drive.

I recall people talking about boosters before. I know that the Harmony booster fits my rear end. I don't know if it fits in my car, however. My steering wheel DOES NOT tilt.
    Anyone try in a teeny Hyundai Accent?
    I have one of those things that go on both parts of the belt (velcro) and pull them together to make the belt fit better. I was told these aren't good because it can ride the lap belt too high. Can I use it if I can make sure its correctly positioned?

Is there anything I can do?
    Jonah 4/11/07 Avery 3/25/10 Noralee 10/14/11
    And my man from dream land, Sam
    RSTV, Coccoro, 2 Titans, Marathon, MyRide, Apt40, R100
    We do it in a Yaris!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Make Me Fit!

My grandma is under 5feet tall and she uses a clothes peg to make the shoulder part fit better.

On the seatbelt, there is the hole the belt goes through that leads to the retractor, a little bit above that is the thing that adjusts the seatbelt height. The clothespeg pinches the 2 layers of seatbelt together just below the adjuster thing, which makes the seatbelt start lower than the shortest setting on the adjuster. It makes the shoulder part fit across her shoulder instead of her neck.

The lap belt fits well and thats the most important part, the shoulder part being on your neck is anoying but less of a safety issue as long as its not off your shoulder.

Oh and I cannot get the lap belt to fit me right in the car, its always on my belly in almost every car! Its so uncomfortable.
    Mama to my awesome environmentalist kid Levi! (google him if you'd like!)
    7-13-07, 55", 62lbs
    Rearfaced to 8yrs, 9months (is now 10) Still boostered!
    CPST as of 6/19/08!

There was something discussed on here before. It looked like a locking clip that attached to the lap belt, and has a strap that went up and attached to the shoulder belt. Many decided they'd be ok with an adult using it, knowing any possible consiquences. It may have been made by sunshine kids?
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

I would see if you can get one of the shoulder positioning straps they use with boosters and attach it to your vehicle seat (maybe with a couple of stitches if the seats are cloth? Or velcro?) and then use that to position the belt. Maybe see if someone has a GN's positioner that they'd be willing to part with.

It's an off label use, but you're an adult, and to me it would seem like the safest option.
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=113703

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG7zkom5-c8"]YouTube- AUTOSAFE Seat Belt Ajuster[/ame]

I have several of these and really like them!

I am short (5'2") and tried one myself and it worked. I don't need it though as my vehicle has adjustable shoulder belts.

They don't seem to be on ebay anymore.

But you could try emailing nappytraders.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AUTOSAFE-SEAT-BEL...item335a7f825d
    Last edited by tjham; 05-16-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticLabyrinth View Post
    I would see if you can get one of the shoulder positioning straps they use with boosters and attach it to your vehicle seat (maybe with a couple of stitches if the seats are cloth? Or velcro?) and then use that to position the belt. Maybe see if someone has a GN's positioner that they'd be willing to part with.
    It's an off label use, but you're an adult, and to me it would seem like the safest option.
    I have one. Just PM me if you would like me to send it to you.