Can antibiotics make a child hyper?

JaRylan

This child of mine was up at 5.30 this morning, did not nap this afternoon (usually does) and I was expecting him to fall asleep earlier than usual (by 7pm instead of 7.30-7.50) and he is still awake (8.30pm). He has been on amoxacillin since Monday afternoon for toncillitis. He is an active little boy, but this is insane.

Okay in the 25 minutes that it has taken me to write this he has finally gone to sleep...sweet dreams my precious little one...please sleep till 6am, hopefully 7.30, lol. He doesn't usually sleep through the night but here's to hoping. On a positive note I have done 103 sets of stairs for excercise. :rolleyes:

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/amox_ad.htm

Yes, it says hyperactivity and insomnia can be side effects. Glad he finally went to sleep! :)

Oh poor you JaRylan! Here's hoping to a good night sleep :)

My DS has a ear infection and is on Cefzil, he went to bed last night at 11:15 (usually for surye by 9) and woke up at 8:00 (usually around 9:15) this morning. No nap today and finally crashed at shortly after 7pm (bedtime is between 8&9), he would have gone to bed at 6 but I was not allowing that to happen. I find antibiotics makes him act a little different (ie. doesn't sleep as much :()

Morganthe

DD hasn't been on antibiotics since she was a newborn, but pretty much every single OTC med out there -- tylenol, children's motrin, Benadryl, different varieties of cold medicine -- interfered with her usual sleep habits. So I wouldn't be surprised if AB's had the same problems too. Most of the time it caused her to sleep lighter and wake up much earlier. Then she'd be cranky. They also made her bowels extremely runny :(

Now she won't touch any syrup type and is happy to take pills if necessary. She's much calmer. I wonder if the syrup sweeteners were causing some of the negative hyper reactions. :confused:

skaterbabs

The syrups (and chewables) are invariably artifically colored and flavored, and that can absolutely cause all sorts of behavioural & sleep issues.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Originally Posted by beeman
Sleep well.
Hey seeming as you were up, what time is it getting light now?
I think between 7:30 and 8:00am (I am central time)

JaRylan

Forgot to mention that it was the gelcap form of amoxacillin and he didn't get any pain/fever medicine today. I don't use liquids/syrups if at all possible since so many of them need to be refrigerated and that makes it harder to remember and he doesn't like them anyways. I avoid the chewables as well since I don't want him to start munching on his regular AED's. He takes pills of any size like a champ. He is finally starting to chew his chewable vitamins but I still have to bite Smarties in half and stick them between his teeth or he'll swallow them, lol.

He had a really low seizure day today so that could be the cause of the extra energy...course sometimes that means that he is due for a grand mal...wait and see what the night brings.

Thanks for the link Jenny, usually I go there first, you guys are just too handy and smart. :D

Morganthe - that is awesome that she as been AB free for so long, what's your secret?

JaRylan

what color are the gelcaps? he may also be reacting to another inactive ingredient.

They are the red and yellow ones, so that could be it. Now that I've started looking I can't find 250 mg gel capsules. Funny, I used to know all the excipients and nurtrional values (most importantly carb content) for every med he was on when he was on the Ketogenic diet. In fact I would always ask to see if they could give him a shot instead of pills if he needed ab's so I wouldn't have to recalculate all his meals.

He had a really low seizure day today so that could be the cause of the extra energy...course sometimes that means that he is due for a grand mal...wait and see what the night brings.

Awake at 4.55am, 25 sec grand mal at 6am.

Beeman - it was dark from 4.55 - 6.30am (yeah he was up for the day pretty much), remembered to look out window at 7.45 and it was light. Looked up the sunrise time and here you go:

Regina, 2 March 2007

SUNRISE 7:40
SUNSET 18:41
TWILIGHT 7:08 19:14
DAYLIGHT HOURS 11hrs 00min

http://host1.farmzone.com/inter/tools/moonsun/index.htm

Morganthe

Forgot to mention that it was the gelcap form of amoxacillin and he didn't get any pain/fever medicine today. I don't use liquids/syrups if at all possible since so many of them need to be refrigerated and that makes it harder to remember and he doesn't like them anyways. I avoid the chewables as well since I don't want him to start munching on his regular AED's.

Morganthe - that is awesome that she as been AB free for so long, what's your secret?

SUNRISE 7:40
SUNSET 18:41
TWILIGHT 7:08 19:14
DAYLIGHT HOURS 11hrs 00min

LOL - no secret, I guess. I didn't even think AB free since 10 days old was any great accomplishment. :p ;) DD's had some really bad colds & fevers since from 6 months old, but Tylenol and Triaminic controlled the worst of them until they lessened. Her thing during the first 24 months was sewer bottom blow-out diaper diarrhea at the drop of a hat that didn't have any solution except time and living on a diet of bread & breast milk to slow output. I hated those weeks :(

Once we moved to TX, we were both really sick every 4-5 weeks until last Oct with colds & fevers. :( I just would wait 24 hours and she would start improving. But I also have the opinion that a low-mid grade fever is helpful to the body to fight off the illness. If it hit over 103.5, I'd likely have her in the dr's lickety split!

Her fevers were almost secretive and just hid themselves in her naturally warm body temp (I went in her room last night. It was about 60F -- her foot was hanging out of the covers and it was HOT!:rolleyes: ) It's only been during the last 2 months that she'll tell me she's not feeling well. But she's never had an ear infection in her life, but then again, DH & I also never had them. He was bottle fed & I was nursed. It's probably just dumb luck since my brother had horrific ear infections. :(

I realize that the chewable tablets also have flavoring & coloring, but the 1 small tablet she sucks on (doesn't chew) is so much less amount to swallow in proportion than the 1 1/2 tbsp of syrup she's supposed to take. And she doesn't fight it! Life is so much easier for it :D

sunrise in central TX today: 07:06
sunset: 18:38
each day gains 2 minutes of daylight.
There's no such thing as Twilight in the south. Sun's down and it's full dark within 15 minutes no matter the time of year. I miss twilight :(

nisi

Senior Community Member
They most definitely can! DD1 had the same reaction a few times. Interesting that Jenny found that link, because back when I tried to find something validating the reaction dd1 had, no one seemed to believe me. :rolleyes:

And btw - Cipro can have the same effect in adults. Ask me how I know this... :rolleyes:

beeman

Thanks, a sure sign springs on the way. It'll be nice once we hit 13 or 14 hours of sunlight. The moons bright now though.
I hope you figure this out, and some of his energy wears off so you can both get some sleep.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC