Buying a secondary seat

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
Being a tech, I love all kinds of car seats and love knowing about all kinds of car seats. This also means I have a hard time picking out my own seats. I had YDS's seat all picked out while pregnant, only to find out that it wouldn't be available in time for his birth. Therefore, I ended up with a MyRide.

I'm the kind of girl who buys one seat, and if I love it, I stick with it. I don't buy and sell and trade seats over and over. I have three kids and five seats, four of them are boosters.

That being said, DH mentioned yesterday that he would like to have a back-up seat for YDS in his car. Usually, if we're going somewhere as a family, it's in my car. If we're heading in different directions, whoever has the baby takes my car.

So, if you were in my position, and in the market for a second seat, what would you get? DS is 11 months old, 23 pounds, 28.5 inches long, with a 12.5 inch torso. He's been hanging out at about the same weight for a couple of months.

I thought about getting a second MyRide, but I think I might like to try something different. I'd also like to keep it under $200. I know there's a plethora of new seats coming out, so I don't know whether to wait and see what the ones will be like (esp. the new Evenflos).

I'm not sure what DS's growth curve may look like. My older two kiddos were slightly shorter, but a good bit heavier, and didn't slow down on the growth until they hit two.

Ideas?

ADS

babyherder

What if you move the myride to your DH's car and get a seat you want for your car. Sounds like you never really got the seat you wanted and now you have time to shop around and find one you really like.

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
Well, I had originally wanted a TFP, but when I started showing signs of early labor, and my TFP still wasn't in stock, I went to BRU to check out the MR. I bought it even though I wasn't crazy about at first. We've used it for the past 11 months, and it has been wonderful. It even fits in a three across arrangement with my other two kids. I don't think the TFP would do that.

I'm just not enamoured with the Radians. Between the funky installs and the strict RFing angle (DH is very tall with very long legs - DS's seat is usually behind the driver in my car), I'm not sure it would be a good match for us. I'm not that crazy over the CA, since it seems like a dressed up Avenue to me. Britaxs are out. I had a MA with DD, which I absolutely loved. However, I didn't pay $270 for hers, and at the time, the MA was my only option for higher weight harnessing. Other brands have come a long way in the mean time.

I've thought about a Symphony or a EFTA, but with Evenflo coming out with new seats...

I really like our MR, but with all of the different seats out there, you'd think I'd want some variety. I just want I seat we'll love. :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC