Going to Cloth Diapers!! Need help deciding..

MommyofBoogieBear

I have finally made the decision! I'm so excited about it too! now...I have to purchase them, and make my decision as to which style i would like to go.

I am leaning towards bumgenius 2.0...one size pocket. I just hope they would fit well for DD...and future baby (someday). however, i borrowed a friend's sampling...and liked what i think is a fitted diaper. i have found Thirsties cotton fitted diapers (and of course the cover as well). I have searched a lot of threads here on cloth diapering...but i am still having a hard time deciding...basically b/c i have never done this before.

any suggestions? (by the way...DD is 14 months...and squirmmy!!!):D

ADS

scatterbunny

I really love our Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers, and the reason I went with pocket dipes is because the fitteds tend to take longer to dry (because they're thicker, the absorbency is built-in, with a pocket diaper you stuff the diaper with the desired absorbency and remove it for washing) and some say they are harder to get deep-clean. I didn't want to deal with pre-folds and covers, so pocket diapers were a perfect fit for our needs. I would also like to try Happy Heinys and Snap-EZ. I also like the pocket diaper concept because you can stuff to your child's needs; during the day stuff with less, so it fits trim, stuff more at night, or with different material, for more absorbency, and because it doesn't really matter how bulky a nighttime diaper is. :)

arly1983

We just started cloth diapering and man is it confusing when you are just starting out. We ordered two starter packages from little-lamb.com, one in med and one in lg with Bummis WW (really all you need to start with inluding prefolds and snappis or pins). Then i ordered 4 bumGeniuses for night. The bumgeniuses really do fit all sizes. We are using charlies soap using the presoak and extra rinse cycle on our washer. I have one of the water proof diaper bags in the bathroom and throw the dirty ones in there and wash them every night. I really love using cloth diapers.

MommyofBoogieBear

i am leaning towards the pocket. the one size is appealing...for the next one..and to keep cost down i suppose (not needing to buy sizes...as she grows). however, it was quite a sight to see today. the ones i had borrowed to try on her...just to see what i think i might like....were impossible to get on her! not due to the diaper...just her squirmming! :) so i like the velcro idea...a whole bunch of snaps might drive us all crazy.

i like the idea of adding absorbsancy. (sp?) do you recommend any particular type of liner?

MommyofBoogieBear

it is confusing! glad i'm not the only one. so do you like the bumgenius?? good to know it really does fit any size. do they leak at night?

scatterbunny

Some people love hemp inserts at night because they hold more wetness, but they take longer to absorb, so if you have a super-soaker who flood-pees all at once, it's better to use microfiber, or microfiber on top of a hemp insert.

Most pocket diapers have a waterproof outer layer and a fleece inner layer, with an opening at the back waistband for stuffing. I quad-fold a dishtowel-type thing, lay the microfiber insert on top of that (the quad-folded towel is about the same thickness as the microfiber insert) and Hayley's got a big bubble butt, but it's fine for nighttime (the only time she uses them). We haven't had a single leak.

I prefer snaps like the FBs have because I worry at night when she's rolling around that the velcro would come loose. But with a wiggly baby I might prefer velcro, like Happy Heinys.

I don't think I'd want to deal with the one-size, I don't know. They seem complicated to me. Cloth diapers generally have good resale value, especially Fuzzi Bunz and Happy Heinys, so you can recoup some of the cost later. One Fuzzi Bunz cost $18, I bought one used in good condition for $10. My friend bought a set of 5 for $50. And generally one size fits for quite awhile. You could go with mediums and she'd still fit them a year from now. My friend got mediums for her 2yo, 29 pound son and he's still got room to grow.

arly1983

hmmmmmmmmmmm i just tried that website (little-lamb.com) and something weird came up. is that right?

So Sorry, little-lions.com

http://www.little-lions.com/

I havn't had a leak at night yet. We double stuff with Cotton Babies. The bumGeniuses looked confusing to me but with two in diapers I wanted a one size. I almost got the fuzie bunz. They really are not that confusing when you get them and look at them you are like oh I see. As far as wiggling, look at this video. Oh, and it took me a second to realize the child has on underware to protect his dignity.

http://www.cottonbabies.com/movies/bumGenius-demo-high-640.WMV

MommyofBoogieBear

wow...that's a neat program. i'm not sure it would work unfortunately! otherwise i think i would do it. i'm in central america...and the time frame wouldn't work (by the way...i'm from texas!). thanks for the link though!

glad to know you like your bumgenius. are prefolds cheaper in the long run?

abacus2

I've been cloth diapering now for about 2 months. bumGenius 2.0 one-size pockets are my absolute very, very favorite! I've had no trouble with leaks (add a doubler at night) and the fit, quality construction, absorbancy, and adjustability are just amazing. They can be worn (at their upper limits) by my 44lb:eek: dd and they fit my 15lb dd beautifully. They have the ease of velcro without grabbing things in the wash or taking much effort to use like the wide velcro diapers (Happy Heinys, Drybees). In general I really like pocket diapers; they're super easy to use, wash, and dry. I also like prefolds, Snappied or trifolded, sometimes with a Cotton Babies stay-dry doubler. My favorite cover over Snappied prefolds is the adjustably sized WonderWrap and my favorite cover for trifolded prefolds is Wiggle Worm Bottoms. Check out the test drive sets at Sunshine Diapers if you want to try a lot of different things.

Splash

I have one of the bG 1.0 and don't like it AT ALL. The 2.0 is different, but not different in the parts that I disliked, so I doubt I would like the 2.0 either!
I don't really like one size diapers. I have some, but they're not *really* one size... they're mediums. Really, most one size diapers I have seen have no more range than a medium diaper does. bumGenius and Haute pockets appear to be an exception, but not by a whole lot.
I ordered two Haute pockets recently, and just returned some of the other diapers that came with the order (didn't fit well) to get more HPs. I'm very please with them, and they come with a super absorbent insert!
For stand alone inserts, I prefer thirsties over cotton babies, for price, absorbency, and fit. Although you can also pick up 25 microfiber towels for $11 at sam's or costco and use those. Two packs would be all you need for full time pocket diapering.

I prefer fitteds or prefolds with covers, but my partner doesn't like them. Plus they ARE harder to get really clean, and take a long time to dry. Given Charlie's immune issues, getting them super super clean is very important, and it's just not worth it.

I also really like Mommy's Touch one size. The old ones had 8(!!) snaps, but the new ones only have 6. I haven't tried the new ones, but the old ones are awesome! Even with the 8 snaps!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC