What seat for a young FFing child?

arly1983

Younger than 18 months but well over 1 year and 20 lbs. There is no way you are going to get this child RFing again. It aint goin happen.

BUT if you are nice you can influence the seat this child goes into.

Parents are good at following the manual, installing caseats, tight haness, top tethering, etc.

Budget is $200 but less is better.

I have found a Signo for $203 and Complete Air for $150 online.

Child is outboard and a car sleeper. Current seat is a EFTA with some serious head slump which is why I was asked about a new seat.

Opinions on what I should recommend?

ADS

abigaylebelle

I would think the signo would work well for a little ff. The headwings really cradle the kid's head and it has a slightly reclined ff install. My ds rides rf in it but at about 30 degrees upright and he never has headslump of any kind. He does get headslump in the rf efta though so I imagine the ff signo would be much more supportive for a little one. Oh and the signo g2 is definitely wider through the shoulders so I would try to get that one if possible.

littleangelfire

Is the EFTA in one of the recline positions? I know you said they won't turn the kid, but one tiny question - have they been told they could keep their seat and save the money and lose the head slump just by turning RF?

How about a MyRide since its so reclined FF?

arly1983

Is the EFTA in one of the recline positions? I know you said they won't turn the kid, but one tiny question - have they been told they could keep their seat and save the money and lose the head slump just by turning RF?

How about a MyRide since its so reclined FF?

Thanks for the replies. I am stumped.

Yep, I gave the whole RFing deal again. Mom has heard it from me before. I was so glad when they moved him from a snugride to this RFing and thought maybe he was stay that way for a little while and I mentioned on his birthday that he could stay that way. She wants to be able to see him and dad wants his legroom back.

I thought about the MR but I am scared of it since I couldn;t get a good FFing install of it myself (which shocked me). They drive an 06 explorer. Mom didn't seem like she wanted to go and try out any seats but I am still trying to push her in that direction. I mean, how do you know what you like until you see it in person?

arly1983

I would think the signo would work well for a little ff. The headwings really cradle the kid's head and it has a slightly reclined ff install. My ds rides rf in it but at about 30 degrees upright and he never has headslump of any kind. He does get headslump in the rf efta though so I imagine the ff signo would be much more supportive for a little one. Oh and the signo g2 is definitely wider through the shoulders so I would try to get that one if possible.

Thanks, the G2 was the one I found for $200.

djma

I dearly love and miss our signo. It was the best with the wings and had a slight recline to it FFng.

mish

How much is a radian65? Can't one be had for under $200.00? With the low profile and supposedly reduced head excursion I would look at that.

tracee877

I was also going to say Radian, especially the XT if you could find one cheap enough. It sits so upright that a child that small would benefit from the headwings while sleeping.

gigi

I'm surprised to hear about head slump in an EFTA. My son has none (although he only just started riding FF in it at 3 and 35 lbs).

Can't you install the efta FFing in the #2 recline position (mine is 300 miles away or I'd read my manual)? If so, the parents might be able to just do that and keep the baby from slump.

I'd recommend a Boulevard b/c there is great natural recline and no slump, but I know many aren't big fans around here and especially with the FFing and head excursion possibilities for such a little baby.

KelliBella

I was also going to say Radian, especially the XT if you could find one cheap enough. It sits so upright that a child that small would benefit from the headwings while sleeping.

Yes, but a child that small probably wouldn't be able to use the wings yet anyway, right? My 3.5 year old is barely tall enough. And without the support of the wings, my DS had terrible head slump.

DahliaRW

The Complete Air is fabulous ffing for sleeping. It has a nice recline to it (just the right amount) and the headwings are great for leaning against for sleeping.

Kat_Momof3

well, I guess I still have some questions... 1. budget? 2. will they harness past 40lbs/4yrs old??

then I'd be looking at the Cozy Cline (I love the recline and ease of use and install), the Nautilus, Radians, the EFTA (I love the more reclined seating for the younger ones), the Symphony 65, the Evenflo Maestro, the Recaro convertibles, the Truefit, etc. pretty much, I'd mostly be looking at convertibles that have a naturally good recline setting... or at least a seat with tall top slots and comfortable for younger ffers.

bubbaray

What if they waited 6m (age 2) and then got a Frontier -- they could save the extra money for 6m. Its a really nice seat for a young FFg child -- its like a barcalounger. It lasts for 9y and makes a nice booster. :thumbsup:

arly1983

I'm surprised to hear about head slump in an EFTA. My son has none (although he only just started riding FF in it at 3 and 35 lbs).

Can't you install the efta FFing in the #2 recline position (mine is 300 miles away or I'd read my manual)? If so, the parents might be able to just do that and keep the baby from slump.

I'd recommend a Boulevard b/c there is great natural recline and no slump, but I know many aren't big fans around here and especially with the FFing and head excursion possibilities for such a little baby.

Installing it in the #2 position was actually the first thing I suggested and a week later they said it didn't work.

I can't find a boulevard for their budget.

well, I guess I still have some questions... 1. budget? 2. will they harness past 40lbs/4yrs old??

then I'd be looking at the Cozy Cline (I love the recline and ease of use and install), the Nautilus, Radians, the EFTA (I love the more reclined seating for the younger ones), the Symphony 65, the Evenflo Maestro, the Recaro convertibles, the Truefit, etc. pretty much, I'd mostly be looking at convertibles that have a naturally good recline setting... or at least a seat with tall top slots and comfortable for younger ffers.

Budget is in the first first post: $200 with less being better. They say they would like to keep him harnessed until 4.

He is currantly in the EFTA with bad headslump (as I said in the first post).

Has the cozycline been discountinued yet?

Nautilus, Maestro both have headrests that push the head forward. Truefit sides are pretty far away from young children.

Their only big request was that his head not be falling forward so badly that it wakes him up so I want make sure I get something like that preferable with some good SIP since he is so young.

The explore has one of the bench seats that does not recline, its fixed so no help there.

As for the

arly1983

What if they waited 6m (age 2) and then got a Frontier -- they could save the extra money for 6m. Its a really nice seat for a young FFg child -- its like a barcalounger. It lasts for 9y and makes a nice booster. :thumbsup:

I actually played with that idea in my head but for the 2 yr limit on it. I found an old 80lb model for $195. I tried my 15 month old in DS1's frontier and he was 3 clicks from the bottom position and fit really well. He could potentially use it for the entire 7 year lifespan of the seat.

Spam

The maestro has a removable head pillow and without that it doesn't seem to push the head forward. I have one for my nephew and like it a lot. If they could wait six months and go with the frontier I like the fit of that way more than the nautilus. I have one in waiting, but have tried A in it, he's got five clicks to go before he'd reach the top and nothing pushes his head forward. I've also tried him in my neph gn and didn't like it, it seemed to push his head forward and my neph has headslump in it when he sleeps.

armywife12

The Maestro actually doesn't have a headrest that pushes the head forward. We used one for a short time and we LOVED it, much more than the Nautilus actually. Caleb used it for about a wk and a half before it was in an accident and didn't have any headslump at all. In the Nautilus, his chin was practically to his chest. If the seat bottom is sloped, I think the Maestro would be a great choice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC