Motion Sickness while RF'ing :(

SavsMom

So my peanut is really having a problem with motion sickness while rear facing - and this is a huge problem because: 1) She is in the car for at least an hour almost every day for the commute to daycare 2) She is happy as can be rear facing other than the whole vommit thing 3) My car is leased and wreaks to high heaven of vomit now :(

She started to ride in her Nautlius in her dads car and voila - no vomit, but put her in a rear facing seat and she looses her cookies. Now, this only seems to happen on the highway at higher speeds, if we are driving around running errands we don't have a problem, however, to take her to the sitter we have to go on the highway - this is when the issue seems to come up, and not taking her to the sitter isn't an option unless I win the lotto :whistle: And changing sitters is out of the question as it took me a long time to find the great one I have now.

I have tried different seats, I have tried different install angles, I have tried different toys, I have tried a DVD player, now all I am trying to do is to get the stains and the smell out of my car :(

For what its worth she is now 29 months, 24.5 lbs, and about 35" tall. She is a peanut and I so badly would like to keep her rear facing a little longer as I know its best, but I am at my wits end...can't be late to work anymore, can't steam clean my seats everyday, and certainly can't turn in a lease vehicle with vomit stains and smell :(

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I've heard ginger is good for nausea.

Where is she sitting in the car? Center or outboard?

When did the motion sickness start? Has she always been sick in the car or is this a recent development?

Have you tried rolling the windows up or down?

Melanie

Just a throw it out there thought-is she playing with toys that require focus? Like a color tablet or something? My RF DD has gotten sick a few times when she's really focused on something and looking at it for an extended period.

Peppermint is good for nausea.

DahliaRW

Have you messed around with putting her more upright or more reclined? Is the buckle pushing into her stomach on that particular seat in a strange way?

mfrasier

Try putting a mirror so she can look out the front windshield from the center also maybe if its getting warmer out in your state get her a fan. I still get moition sick in the back if I am warm and sitting not in the middle at 23 air circulation and being able to see out the front always helps me.

mfrasier

I almost forgot this maybe PERFECT! There are pressure point bands for motion sickness you can get they look like sweat bands but have a plastic numb that goes on your wrist. One of the kids I watched ALWAYS got sick in his moms car on long drives and couldnt do anything but listen to music everything else made him really sick. Well put those on and BAM no more motionsickness rode from Iowa City to Chicago playing his gameboy before couldnt even watch the nintendo word pop up before he would turn green

babycat124

My little nephew can't rf because he gets sick to. :(
Also what else I was thinking is that it cold be a inner ear thing. has she had alot of ear infections.
Also my older brother when he was a baby he couldn't take long car rides. He would get horrible stomick pains and then green BM's. Some kids just can't take car rides. My brother still gets car sick he has to sit up front.

abigaylebelle

Oy I'm sorry to hear that. I was a really carsick kid until I learned how to drive, now I always have to drive so that I don't get sick.:thumbsdown: Anyway other than driving the most important things for me are:
1. Being able to see clearly out of the front window. The side windows things whip past but the front I can focus on the road. I don't remember what carseats your dd rides in, but one on a base might help get her up high enough to see out better.
2. Fresh air-must have it. Either crank up the ac or roll down both side windows if she is in the middle
3. Soda water-I find that fizzy drinks are very helpful for me, just a sippy of soda water might make her feel better when things start to go south.
Also put a big bib on her over her carseat harness so that you don't have to wash harness straps all the time, yuck.
I'm a big believer in extended rearfacing so I would exhaust all other options before turning a two year old forward facing. If it was my child though I would probably consider ff as an option for a child closer to 3 than 2 who was having a miserable time in the car everyday. Rf is safer, but I'm probably a safer driver when I'm not hearing/smelling someone getting sick in the backseat. So that's a trade off for me.

SavsMom

Thanks for the responses :)

She had it off an on when she was smaller - but it seems to be getting worse as time goes by.

She is seated outboard on the passenger side, putting her in the middle isn't an option as I cannot get a good install with either rear facing seats plus a middle car seat install is not encouraged per my vehicle owners manual (2010 Forester).

I have tried different seats, which helped for a little while, I have also tried different install angles and have had no luck.

As far as toys go we have tried them all, from dolls to her magna doodle board - nothing seems to help :(

I am going to try the motion sickness bracelet and see if that helps :thumbsup:

SavsMom

Luckily I know its not an inner ear thing, I am one of those lucky parents - she has never had an ear infection, shoot she has never been on an antibiotic - lol!

My little nephew can't rf because he gets sick to. :(
Also what else I was thinking is that it cold be a inner ear thing. has she had alot of ear infections.
Also my older brother when he was a baby he couldn't take long car rides. He would get horrible stomick pains and then green BM's. Some kids just can't take car rides. My brother still gets car sick he has to sit up front.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC