2 year carseat expiration in Arizona??

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
I just moved to Arizona (!!) and am getting into the groove of things here. I met a mom at the park today and we got to talking about carseats. She must have seen the Kyle video b/c she was asking about taking her 5yo out of a booster and putting her in a Regent. She told me that she had her seats checked by the fire dept here and they told her that because of the extreme heat here in Arizona that carseats expire after 2 years instead of the usual 6. They even were giving out fliers with that information printed on them. True?? I haven't heard this....

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Uh, no. The carseat makers have put a conservative six year lifespan to cover such incredibly different degrees of weather without having to give people different lifespans on their seats depending on where they live.

See if you can get ahold of one of those flyers, I'd like to give it to one of my friends with a lot of contacts in the seat industry to see what THEY say about that.

It seems like a tremendous disservice to the comminity to recommend tossing seats after 2 years, when there isn't even a decent booster law on the books there... :(

Shauna

Senior Community Member
I am in AZ and have heard nothing of the sort. I would like to see one of those flyers also. :confused:

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
I didn't think so....something like that definitely would be widespread knowledge among techs at least. I have her contact info, so I am going to see if she still has the flier. The Fire Dept is putting on an event on this Saturday...maybe I'll mosey on down there and ask them about it and see if I can get a flier from them...:rolleyes:.

Thanks!

Brycen'sMommy

I also live in Arizona and haven't heard anything like that. I have always been worried about storing my seats in the garage or attic because of the extreme heat here. But 2 years?? That seems a little excessive to me.

Which fire dept is doing the event? I have been wanting to get my seats checked so if it is close by I may go over there.

Shauna

Senior Community Member
Can I ask where the event is going to be held and which fire department is saying this? I have a few instructor friends I am going to pass this onto.

Shauna

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
I am in az and have not heard this either! weird!
of course I wont be telling people this thats just crazy!
Clarissa

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
I don't know if it was the Fire Dept here in my community...I will ask her which dept gave her that info. I will PM both of you the FD that is doing the check this weekend...

Lara

I'm in Az, and also have a friend that thinks its 2! I wonder if they got the same flier or something. I told her if she wants to be conservative, then 5.

Can you PM me the location of the check too?

Shauna

Senior Community Member
Ok, I just emailed a few higherups here. One with the Phoenix police department and two with the Governor's office of highway safety. I told them I would get back to them with the specific cities/fire departments that were saying this.

Shauna

Shauna

Senior Community Member
One just replied, she does not know about it and states

"Keep me posted ~ this is the first I have heard of this. As you are aware this is a fallacy and there is not literature nor testing that supports this statement".

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i live in Las vEgas (relatively just as hot) and i have never heard anything of the sort...but keep us posted as to what becomes of it

Shauna

Senior Community Member
If I can get the location and it is verified that they are saying this, they are going to have a few unexpected vistors at their check this weekend.

Shauna

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
i live in Las vEgas (relatively just as hot) and i have never heard anything of the sort...but keep us posted as to what becomes of it
Yeah, it HAS to be a myth...Heather, Murphydog77, the owner of www.carseatsite.com lives in LV and has a US version of the Maxi Cosi that she is thrilled has an 8 year lifespan, and is using it as long as possible. If there were a warning to use it less in hot states, SHE would know about it, lol.:rolleyes:

tjham

The State of AZ has a site that recommends 5 years because of the heat. I'll see if I can find it. Two years is ridiculous!

Hmmmm, can't find it but I KNOW I saw it... I will still go with the mfg recommended time.

Last edited:

Lara

Well, I now know where my friend got the 2 yo expiry thing! Same place as the mom Alicia met.

Shauna

Senior Community Member
I've got a booklet that SRP prints for Safe Kids in AZ, I'll see what is says. I don't think I even seen reference made to 5 years.

beeman

So does that make the 10 years that our local authorites up north here say safe? What about extreme cold?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC