no latch or anchors in vehicle?

barefootmommy

We have an older vehicle with no latch or anchors. Good news is it's a limo style sedan, so we have TONS of room in the back (about 6 inches more then average). I have a 3.5 yr old in a Radian FF (would like to try RF, but I don't think it's possible without anchors?), and I am looking for a new car seat for our 14 month old as she's just about outgrown her Graco SafeSeat. I would like to have her rear facing a couple more years. She is very tall for her age, but I have no problems buying another seat in a year if she outgrows it sooner rather then later. I just need something that will work for now. Any recs for a car seat that can be securely installed RF without latch or anchors? Also, has anyone tried getting anchors or latch installed? Thanks!

ADS

dragonfly8

I'm a little bit confused. UAS and tether anchors are two different things. A rear facing seat is never tethered (unless it can be RF tethered, and there are only a few seats that allow this) and installing a seat using the UAS/latch is not mandatory for rear facing seats. You can install a seat rear facing using the seat belt. If your 3.5 year old is forward facing in a radian, I personally wouldn't think it was a huge deal to keep them that way, and not go back to rear facing. Maybe I misunderstood the post, I'll go back and re read it after this is finished, but I think that's what you were asking.

Forward facing seats MUST be tethered to the tether hook that is anchored to the vehicle.

As for the 14 month old, there are quite a few seats on the market now that will rear face to 35 and even 40lbs, the Complete Air, True Fit, Radian, My Ride....to name a few.

These ones will also keep your kids harnassed to a higher weight limit.

I do believe that the car manufacturers will install one tether hook free of charge, but I've heard some people have had a hard time with the dealerships too.

Hopefully other, more experienced techs will chime in and let you know more!

barefootmommy

Sorry maybe I'm using the wrong terms. I am confused as well, as you can see.

On the Radian there is a tether strap behind the head rest (I think it's called a tether strap) only in our vehicle there is no place to attach it. I would like to have him rear facing if I can figure out how to install it properly. I believe the Radian XT 2010 is one of those models that does require tethering? I've been re-reading the manual and I can't figure out how to install it rear facing without a tether)

I've been looking into getting my daughter another Radian, or the Advocate, or the TrueFit... whatever ends up installing the best.

We have a 1999 BMW limo with leather seats. Lots of room but not really created with car seats in mind I guess.

simplychels

Sorry maybe I'm using the wrong terms. I am confused as well, as you can see.

On the Radian there is a tether strap behind the head rest (I think it's called a tether strap) only in our vehicle there is no place to attach it. I would like to have him rear facing if I can figure out how to install it properly. I believe the Radian XT 2010 is one of those models that does require tethering? I've been re-reading the manual and I can't figure out how to install it rear facing without a tether)

I've been looking into getting my daughter another Radian, or the Advocate, or the TrueFit... whatever ends up installing the best.

We have a 1999 BMW limo with leather seats. Lots of room but not really created with car seats in mind I guess.

The rf'ing tether on RN's is optional, never required. You would install it rf'ing just like any other seat. Since your vehicle does not have UAS you would be using the seatbelt and installing it via that way according to the RN's manual. Finding a tether spot for the rf'ing tether is usually quite simple, but most often requires the use of the D-RING that comes with the seat.

In terms of the top tether anchor for ff'ing use, you need to have that addressed immediately as Canada requires by law that all ff'ing seats are tethered. Like PP said, they can be installed at a dealership (top tether anchors, UAS cannot) and should be done like yesterday.

mommycat

Hi and welcome!!! :)

Please put our minds at ease that your limo-style sedan is just bigger and plushier, but has the regular front-of-the-car facing seating. (You cannot install carseats on vehicle seats facing the rear or side of the car.)

Please also post your kids' weights and heights - this will help us make better seat reccommendations. Depending on your answer, we may even recommend that you give the Radian to the baby and buy a different FF seat for the 3.5yo.

The Radian is a seat which allows you to tether when installed RF - the RF tether is by no means required for a safe install. In fact, some people are not comfortable RF tethering because of the lack of designated anchors in most vehicles. The other manufacturer allowing (not requiring) RF tethering at this time is Britax.

Top tethers for front facing harnessed carseats are required at all times in Canada. If your vehicle does not have a top tether anchor available, you must look into getting one retrofitted. In the meantime, you are using your FF seat illegally and also reducing the safety of the seat in a crash. If your child fits the Radian RF by height and weight, then RF would be your best option until you can retrofit the tether anchor.

Latch, ummm, let's speak Canadian.... Lower UAS anchors are not able to be retrofitted in the majority of vehicles (I think VW has a parts kit for some of its vehicles?). However, all seats sold in Canada MUST be able to be installed with a seatbelt even if they are equipped with UAS hardware as well. We can help you figure out a seatbelt install if you are finding it confusing beyond the top tether issue. So, you really get to take your pick of any seat you want, and that will install well in your vehicle - it is sometimes an individual fit.

Since you say that your 14mo is tall, and most seats are outgrown by height before weight by most kids, I would not look at the Graco MyRide as a first option. It has a shorter shell than other seats available (outgrown faster RF) and shorter top slots (outgrown faster FF). The Britax Advocate has about the same stats as the MyRide, but also RF to only 35lbs as opposed to 40lbs for the MR. Depending on your DD's stats, the RF weight limit may or may not make a big difference to your "better" seat choices. The other Britax convertibles except the Roundabout50, have a RF weight limit of only 30lbs, which unless your DD is very light I would steer away from. I am trying to remember if your vehicle would have locking seatbelts but I can never remember the years when things change over, etc. If you do not have locking seatbelts for some reason, then the Advocate has the advantage of built-in lockoffs, saving you some hassle. All these seats (Britax convertibles and the MR) have a 6year lifespan before they expire.

The seats I WOULD look at first because of the very tall shells and top harness positions, are the Radian (which you can try out to see if a RF install is possible; 40/45lbsRF/65lbsFF/8yr exp), the Safety 1st Complete Air (40lbsRF/50lbsFF/8yr exp) and the First Years True Fit (35lbsRF/65lbsFF/7yr exp). The True Fit also has built-in lockoffs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC