booster weight mins for age

NannyMom

So.... the minimum for boosters is 4 years and 40 pounds. What's the minimum weight you'd be comfortable using a booster for a 5 year old? Or a 6 year old?

ADS

christineka

I have heard age 4 and 40, 5 and 35, and 6 and 30.

I let my 5 yo lightweight ride in a well-fitting booster on rare occasions. I figure she's 5, meets the requirements of the seat, fits perfectly, and sits well.

jeminijad

Hmmm... non tech, just estimating based on my DD and nephew...

I like the 4 and 40, 5 and 35 etc stated by PP. At least it is kind of catchy and easy to remember. Although... extrapolating that could get you a 25lb 7 year old :eek: which is not a situation that I would booster.

fyrfightermomma

Well I have lightweights so that kinda messes up my perspective. However I *know* I am using a booster properly that fits her (buying several brands until I find one that fits perfectly) where as the normal person wouldn't do that.

So for emergencies for my own child-age 4 and meets the minimums of the booster (30 lbs for ours) and lap belt fits properly.

For occasional use(non emergency) age 4 1/2-5 and 35 lbs and fits properly

For full time use age 5 and 35 lbs and fits properly(even though we probably aren't going to, I would still be fine with it)

Age 6? as long as they meet the minimums I'm fine(even if it's less than 35 lbs). I feel structurally they are built differently than a 4 year old so that extra "meat" may not be as important

This is nothing scientific of course :)

For other people? I say 4 AND 40, 5 AND 35 or 6 AND 30.

NannyMom

Would it make a difference if it was a backless booster? I know we like to see kids in a HBB until they are too tall... or closer to 8 or 9. But... at what minimum age/ weight would you like for a backless?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Hmmm... non tech, just estimating based on my DD and nephew...

I like the 4 and 40, 5 and 35 etc stated by PP. At least it is kind of catchy and easy to remember. Although... extrapolating that could get you a 25lb 7 year old :eek: which is not a situation that I would booster.

No, because no booster is rated for use below 30#. I would definitely not booster below the minimum weight. If a 30# 7yo fit properly in a booster (and honestly, I don't think most 30# children will actually fit well in boosters), I'd be okay with it.

I would not use a backless below 6yo and 40# except in dire emergencies (although I'd sign off on one at a check, because it's not misuse, just not something I would do). I prefer 8yo as a minimum for backless and in my car (for carpools and playdates), everyone 8yo and under rides in high-backed boosters if they fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC