WWYD

teacher01

I need some advice, and you guys are always so helpful! :)

My son turned 5 at the end of March, is 43" tall and weighs right at about 40 lbs. Right now he is in a DC in one car and a regent in the other. I am trying to decide what to replace the DC with. I really like the Frontier 85. My question is, at his age, would you buy another harnessed seat, or should I just get a booster?

TIA

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If he sits properly in a booster then that is definitely an option. If you have doubts as to his booster ability, or he sleeps often, I'd get a harness.

Wendy

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Is he more mature/rule following or impulsive?

I've had my ds in a booster primarily since his 5th birthday. He's done phenomenally. He's even better than his 9YO sister much of the time.

I still have him in a harness in my mom's car, and will use a harness for longer trips, but he's been great in the booster.

Maturity is key here, now that he's big enough.

teacher01

I actually haven't tried him in a booster yet. We don't have one to try him in. He is a great kid, but he is impulsive, and he does still sleep in the car. He is very strong willed and likes to see how far he can go.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A Frontier or Nautilus may be a good choice, then. The harness or booster is available as needed.

Wendy

mish

After your second post I would definitely say harness. I would start booster training on short trips though.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would not move a new 5yo to full-time boostering with no training beforehand. I agree with getting a combination seat so he can train but stay harnessed until he's ready.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC