Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Help me decide what to do~ to buy a car or not~

Quote Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
    This is mildly OT, but do ANY car companies have warranties that transfer?
    Because I purchased my car used without any warranty except a 90 day from the dealership, I went ahead and got an aftermarket full warranty program covering my car for the next 3 years.

For a registration fee, it WILL transfer to another owner if I choose to sell my car. I don't know if they're available if you purchased used from an individual, but there are several companies out there that aim at the pre-owned dealership sales like mine was.

Usually I don't go for these sorts of things, but it gave me a lot of peace of mind. It's the most I've spent for a vehicle except when we bought our truck new and I'd rather know that I'm covered except for basic maintenance & upkeep for the next several years.
    My Munchkin -- Nov 2008--5 years, 45.5", 42lbs
    Current Stats: 12 years old /5'5/ 115lbs/ Seatbelt

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Phillip K. Dick

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

did you ever have to put your aftermarket warranty to the test? i've heard horror stories about repairs not being honored under those, or having to jump through hoops to have repairs covered.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    did you ever have to put your aftermarket warranty to the test? i've heard horror stories about repairs not being honored under those, or having to jump through hoops to have repairs covered.
    Not yet, but since Firestone discovered a 'minor leak' during their service check, I'll be contacting them in the next 2 weeks when I get a breather from other appts & scheduling conflicts

We'll see how it goes
    My Munchkin -- Nov 2008--5 years, 45.5", 42lbs
    Current Stats: 12 years old /5'5/ 115lbs/ Seatbelt

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Phillip K. Dick

CPS Fanatic

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me imput, you really helped.
    We did get the Kia Sedona and I LOVE IT! I am sooooooo very happy that we didn't get into the car payment situation. I know it was the right choice (even if we sacrificed a bit of reliability to do so). I'll use the $300/mo that we were prepared to put toward a carpayment to save up a couple of thousand should the kia need repairs.

Now I just have to get used to the double in gas expenses every month and I have to decide whether or not to sell the civic (*I* think yes, dh thinks no). . .

Anyway, THANKS
    ~Laura™ mom to Seamus (6) in a Regent and Mickey (4) in a ff Myride. Due 6/26/11 with Abigail Tucker, patiently awaiting the install of her Myride.