Would you push it??

Mommy2Marcus

My mom asked me to take her to TN on Wednesday. I agreed to take her. I am thrilled to go with her & get to spend some time with her for a few days just us & Marcus. It will be nice to have some time with her & for DH to have a few days to himself.

It is a 3 1/2 hour drive with 1 short stop or no stops. I am going to take to EFTA b/c Marcus has head slump in the GN & I do not want him to sleep like that for that long a drive. For a trip around town, not to bad, but NOT for a 3 1/2 hour drive.

I am thinking of RF in it. However it has a 35lb weight limit & he was 34.4 today at the WIC office. Is that to close to the weight limit or would it be ok? I know he will sleep better if he is RF, but am wondering how he will take it. Just wondering if I should go FF with it. It does have the recline I can use if that is to close to the weight limit. That was with a light pair of flip flops on & jeans. I could dress him in a pair of cotton shorts & a light weight tee to see if the weight would be less.

SO WWYD?? RF or FF with recline?

ADS

HEVY

I would leave him FF. I don't trust any scale to be exact, another scale could have him over 35lbs and yet another could have him less than the WIC scale. If it said something like 32lbs, maybe 33lbs, I might consider it, maybe.

brooklynsmommy

I would. Brooklyn weighed that exact amount when we did the 17 hours down to Disneyland. There was no way she would have been comfortable with head slump all the way down there. OR happy without the sleep!

Splash

The weight limit is not "almost 35 pounds," it is 35 pounds. So he's under 35 pounds, use it. Even if he has a big dinner, wears heavy shoes, or the scale is off, it will not fail at 35.1 pounds. There is a margin for error. I would not use it at 37 pounds, but for what you describe and for that child, I'd have no issue. The main failure in a RF seat is going to be over rotation, so prevent that with the seat in front (close if not touching if Evenflo doesn't allow it for the EFTA, not that i remember if they do or would even care if it were *my* kid in the seat, I'd do it anyway).
If you decide not to, you can still use it FF anyway.

mish

I'm with Splash. A seat is not going to fail right at its limit or even very very close to it. I probably wouldn't use it even at 36 pounds, but I wouldn't really hesitate at 35 1/2. If you want to use it ff go right ahead.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
IIRC your home scale is a good one -- what does it say?

At 34.4, I'd use it RF, for exactly the reason the PPs said. It's not like the seat will be fine at 34.9lbs and then magically fail at 35.1. My rule is that (so long as I don't suspect my scale is off) I will use the seat until the scale actually says "35" (or "40" in my case) on it.

I also have a kiddo who hovered between 38.6 and 39.6 for a YEAR. He rode in a 40lb RF seat, and I just watched his weight closely.

For one ride, I'd be totally comfortable with it.

(BTW, do you have slump in the Elite even with the wings adjusted in?)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Yep, I'd use it RF too. :thumbsup:

I sent DD to Iowa last summer (with DH, I had a glorious weekend to myself :love:) in her 33-lb MA, when she weighed 33 lbs. I was comfortable with it, and it was braced nicely against the driver's seat. (No "smart airbag" restrictions in my 2003 Focus.)

Mommy2Marcus

Thanks Everyone! I will weigh him on my scale as I have been using it for awhile now. It has always been consistant, so I am not worried about it being off. If he is under the weight limit RF he will go for the drive! I am hoping he will sleep on the way there!

As for the GN. He does have head slump in it with the wings adjusted in. It is not as bad as when he first started to ride in it, but he deffinatly still has it, exspecially if he sleeps for a bit in it. :(

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think he's plenty safe either way, so I would pick the option that would give me less angst -- if he's closer to 2 than 4 it would be RFing, and if he's closer to 4 than 2 it would be FFing. Your own personal angst evaluation may be different.

Mommy2Marcus

I think he's plenty safe either way, so I would pick the option that would give me less angst -- if he's closer to 2 than 4 it would be RFing, and if he's closer to 4 than 2 it would be FFing. Your own personal angst evaluation may be different.

Yes, I know he is safe FF & I am perfectly fine with him FF as he rides this way every day. I will add that he will be TT'd if he is FF for the trip. I was just thinking for sleeping, RF would be better. He is also closer to 4 than to 2. He will be 4 in October.

ETA: I just weighed him on my home scale with a light t-shirt & unders on. He is about 33.5, which is what he has been weighing on it pretty consistantly with that on. So...I think I was worried for nothing. I will weigh him again in his sandals & cotton shorts just to be sure though, but I think we will be fine.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
As for the GN. He does have head slump in it with the wings adjusted in. It is not as bad as when he first started to ride in it, but he deffinatly still has it, exspecially if he sleeps for a bit in it. :(

:(

My N (5) had terrible head slump in the regular GN, and although I was skeptical of the head wings actually helping, they have been the magic pill. Though, he is just about at the second-to-top slots... I moved him up to the top ones and I noticed it was worse. He didn't quite fall out of the wings, but they didn't cradle him right, either. I moved him back down for the moment, which has fixed it for now, but I anticipate problems once he has to move up.

Anyways I just wanted to see, since you and I and Spam (I think) are the only ones around here that have Elites, that I know of. So I haven't heard if the headwings fixed the issue for everyone else, or just me. Thanks :)

babycat124

A good way to test your scale is to take a 5 pound sack of flour or sugar. That way you will have a real good idea of what the scale is reading. :thumbsup:

Mommy2Marcus

:(

My N (5) had terrible head slump in the regular GN, and although I was skeptical of the head wings actually helping, they have been the magic pill. Though, he is just about at the second-to-top slots... I moved him up to the top ones and I noticed it was worse. He didn't quite fall out of the wings, but they didn't cradle him right, either. I moved him back down for the moment, which has fixed it for now, but I anticipate problems once he has to move up.

Anyways I just wanted to see, since you and I and Spam (I think) are the only ones around here that have Elites, that I know of. So I haven't heard if the headwings fixed the issue for everyone else, or just me. Thanks :)

When he was on the 2nd slot they seemed to help a bit. However I had to move him to the 3rd b/c he was sometimes over & sometimes under the 2nd slot. So b/c of that he got moved to the 3rd for good. I think once he grows a little & hits a solid above they will once again help! Glad they worked well for you.

A good way to test your scale is to take a 5 pound sack of flour or sugar. That way you will have a real good idea of what the scale is reading. :thumbsup:

I will try this tomorrow before I leave. I am going to dress & weigh him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC