Question Recalled drop side cribs

mamajava

Senior Community Member
Now that its getting to be lake cabin season, it got me thinking about the dropside crib recall. The crib that is down there, I bought the beginning of 2006 for Anna. I don't have any of the numbers on it, nor do I even remember what brand it was. So, my question being...Are ALL the dropside cribs recalled?

We also have a Jenny Lind at grandmas house that I am curious about.

ADS

marjen

Not all of the dropside cribs have been recalled...only certain models/brands. A quick search online found these:

Graco cribs made by LaJobi
Stork Craft (including ones with a Fisher Price logo)
C&T International, Sorelle or Golden Baby
Simplicity
LaJobi Babi Italia "Pinehurst", Bonavita "Hudson", Bonavita "Cabana"
Delta drop side cribs manufactured before 2006

Hope that helps :)

Melanie

Not all of the recalled cribs are unusable. I have a drop side that was recalled. I didn't realize for a couple of years because I was using it as a toddler bed.:eek: Anyway, the "fix" was to put some clip things on the bottom to keep the rail from being able to slide down too far. According to the manufacturer, it's safe now.

I'm not sure I'd use it for a little baby though. The video of the how the side rail can be kicked lose and making a big space for the child to be trapped was a little scary.

Athena

You can read more about them on CPSC.gov. That is the government agency that actually conducts these product recalls and the number one place to read about them. In addition, you can sign up on their email list so you always know about product recalls. I will never understand why everyone doesn't do that. It's so easy and it can save your child's life.

Personally, I would be very weary of using a drop side crib since their recent press release on the topic explicitly states that there are other drop side cribs they are currently investigating that have not yet been recalled.

Athena

Are ALL the dropside cribs recalled?

Here is the link to the press release.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10225.html

Within the press release there are links to a more complete list of crib recalls and also a link to bassinet recalls. But you can find these and all recalls on any other consumer products they govern by doing a search on their website.

We also have a Jenny Lind at grandmas house that I am curious about.

"Jenny Lind" is a style of crib (old fashioned spindle design), not a brand. You'll have to find out the manufacturer to check on it.

mamajava

Senior Community Member
It's an Evenflo Jenny Lind. And I don't have the slightest clue what the one at the lake is. I will have to check it out this weekend.

sirrahn

Kind of a highjack (sorry), but do all these recalls only affect drop sides with plastic hardware? The pictures at the CPSC site seem to only show those.

Our crib, bought in 1997 has all metal attachments and had a metal bar across the bottom that caught the drop side and metal rails on the side that the top slid on. I still have the crib in the attic and have no plans to use it or pass it on, but I don't *think* I've ever heard anything about those having a problem and don't see any of that era on the list for that reason.

I remember when the plastic ones were the latest and greatest and supposed to be so much better. Ours was squeaky (had to be careful not to wake the baby) and sometimes a pain to release, but always seemed very sturdy. Maybe one of the few baby gear "improvements" that actually ended up being worse.

Athena

It's an Evenflo Jenny Lind. And I don't have the slightest clue what the one at the lake is. I will have to check it out this weekend.

Good, then you can look it up. But again, if you read the press release you can see that the CPSC has not completed their investigations or recalls. Obviously you are concerned about it being unsafe and that is understandable. I would be too. Do you have anything else to use? We used the basic $60 pack n play (bought new so no wear and tear to compromise it and no recalls) when we traveled and it worked great.

mamajava

Senior Community Member
Do you have anything else to use? We used the basic $60 pack n play (bought new so no wear and tear to compromise it and no recalls) when we traveled and it worked great.

Oh yes we have plenty of pack n plays...but she crawls out of them, so its useless.

Athena

Oh yes we have plenty of pack n plays...but she crawls out of them, so its useless.

She can climb out of a pack n play? :eek: Are you sure she couldn't climb out of the cribs? I don't have mine set up so I cannot compare the inner height measurements, but I do know they (PnP and Crib) list the same height limit (35") so that would imply a similar inner height measurement. How does she "crawl" out? I'm wondering now if we'll be able to use our Pack n play this summer if we travel with our similarly aged DD.

marjen

She can climb out of a pack n play? :eek: Are you sure she couldn't climb out of the cribs? I don't have mine set up so I cannot compare the inner height measurements, but I do know they (PnP and Crib) list the same height limit (35") so that would imply a similar inner height measurement. How does she "crawl" out? I'm wondering now if we'll be able to use our Pack n play this summer if we travel with our similarly aged DD.

My DD can now climb out of Pack n plays too. Different brands have different sizes. I know the cheaper one at my parents' house has shorter sides than our nicer one. I'm looking into getting a playard tent (but I'm having trouble, because they are backordered everywhere I look).

Athena

My DD can now climb out of Pack n plays too. Different brands have different sizes. I know the cheaper one at my parents' house has shorter sides than our nicer one. I'm looking into getting a playard tent (but I'm having trouble, because they are backordered everywhere I look).

Good to know. We had both, the basic and the fancy with all the accessories including the fold over changing tray (really nice) and that was not true of them, but they were both the same brand (Graco), bought in recent years, and I think they were made at the same manufacturer. Using inner measurements, the fancy one's rounded sides were taller at one point, but the shorter part (where the kid would naturally climb out :)) was slightly shorter than our straight sided basic version. I measured to decide which to keep once we only needed one and we kept our basic because of this. But these are the only two pnps I've had. My DD was okay in ours a few months ago when we last used it and I hope we will be able to use ours this summer, when DD will be turning two, but I don't expect to be able to use it much longer anyway.

mamajava

Senior Community Member
We have the Cosco Funsport (?) ones, my mom has an older Eddie Bauer one and MIL has a new simple Graco one that we bought at K-mart when Miley was 5 months old. She crawls out of all of them. At home, we have a really nice Eddie Bauer one (the one that had the recalled bassinet) and she can't crawl out of that. But we can't take that down to the lake cabin, because it gets used at home when I have daycare kids.

She can't crawl out of the cribs either. Shes just a weird child.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC