Bucket Expiry

ragincajun

I have a Graco Snug Ride Manufactured Date 12-16-05. It was handed down to us and we used it for our DD born in 10-08. This next baby is due 10-10.

I think I heard somewhere the Graco lifespan is 6 years? It's never been in an accident :) Still perfectly safe to use? TIA!

ADS

Wiggles

Graco expiry is either December of the sixth year or six years from date of manufacture (I can't remember which). Either way, your Snugride will expire in December of next year, given that it was manufactured in December. (Counting Dec 06, Dec 07, Dec 08, Dec 09, Dec 10, Dec 11 would be the sixth year)

So if all parts are intact and there is no damage and the harness straps have never been soaked for cleaning (double check to ensure this as it is a hand-me-down) and the seat has never been in an accident, it should be safe to use.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
December 2011. It's good. :)

Is it a five point seat? If it's a three point, or it's rear adjust, I may get a new one. But if it's a front adjust five point then I'd go for it without a problem.

If you need another base, the current Snugride 22 bases are completely compatible, so you can get more and use it with a five year old seat.

Wendy

ragincajun

Oh gosh, this may sound so dense but what a 3 pt? :confused: The one I have has the two shoulder straps that clip together at the chest and each buckle into the strap between the legs. Just like her TF now...

Also, if you mean only being able to adjust the straps from the back then that's what I have. :/

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That's a five point harness. A three point doesn't have hip straps, and it has one buckle that clips in at the bottom of the shell, practically. That's it.

If you're ok using a rear adjust seat, and will tighten it properly every time, then it's not an unsafe option at all. It's just a complete PITA and isn't used properly quite often.

Wendy

rachelandtyke

Graco is December of the 6th year (mine was manufactured spring 2005, so also expires in December 2011 - it actually has it on there under the cover in the front in big letters).

The last post in this thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=45959 has a picture of a 3 point harness. It just goes over the head and buckles at the crotch, nothing going over the hips. Sounds like yours is 5 point if it buckles like the TF.

Rear adjust is not unsafe if tightened properly, it's just a pain to use (at least that's how I found it in the evenflo infant seat we had to borrow). Front harness adjustment is so much easier and convenient.

ragincajun

OK thanks!!

The rear adjust never bothered us with my DD so if it's not an issue, I think I'll reuse the seat if the next babe is a girl (being its pink flowers, lol)!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC