tether straps shouldnt be twisted correct?

njmommy

we had both our seats inspected today. it is run by the local hospital in conjunction with the local P.D.

anyway, they completely uninstall the seats to be sure they arent expired & to check for recalls. thats fine. well they reinstalled them & when we got home, DS' tether was completely twisted up behind the seat- like 3 times. i fixed it, not a big deal, but i thought it was kinda odd that neither the officer or the inspector noticed it.

on a sidenote - the inspector said that both seats had "two of the tightest, best installs" he had ever seen. wow they must see some scary stuff, but that made me feel good :) and my husband gave me props!

ADS

Mae

Yes, you are correct, tethers shouldn't be twisted-- no straps on a car seat should be twisted. :thumbsup:

And kudos to you for getting your seats checked, and bigger kudos to you for having a great install!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Some tethers (like the Britax V-tethers) always have a slight twist just by their nature. There is at least one car that requires the tether to be hooked upside-down, thus necessitating a twist. But other than that, no, there shouldn't be deliberate twists.

njmommy

yea it is a britax tether, i see what you mean. it slightly twists before it goes through the metal clasp. but it was twisted a good 3-4 times. now its completely flat against the back of the seat.

Shanora

Some tethers (like the Britax V-tethers) always have a slight twist just by their nature. There is at least one car that requires the tether to be hooked upside-down, thus necessitating a twist. But other than that, no, there shouldn't be deliberate twists.

Ford requires this. So my seat always have a twist in the Tether

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
1 half twist like needed in some vehicles isn't an issue, safety-wise, and any risk is probably less than the risk of hooking the other way, considering the vehicle manufacturer's opinion that it is necessary to hook that way to prevent detachment in a crash. 3 full twists is potentially an issue. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC