HELP!!!! Stroller for tall toddler

mdsvc89

I'm going bananas trying to figure this out...

J is 3. He's TALL. More torso than leg.

We rarely us a stroller, but we are planning a trip to San Francisco, and then moving there within the next few months. We'll be walking ALOT, and I know after 2-3 blocks we're going to get alot of "up mama!!!" For this trip, I need something light weight and easy to fold, since we'll be taking public tranportation alot. (When we move we'll probably supplement with a jogger...)

The challenge is that I need an umbrella type stroller with a tall seat back. The cheapo ones hit him below the neck, so that's no good. I tried a Maclaren Volo yesterday, and it's OK, but not great -- his head ends up in the area of the canopy velcroed to the seatback.

What stroller has the highest seatback? You'd think this information would be easy to find, but it really isn't!

Oh, and he weighs 35-37lbs, so something with a higher weight limit will be helpful, too.

Michelle

ADS

love-pink

gosh i cant even remember what the weight limit is on the maclaren quest but thats what i have and we love it. my dd1 and ds2 ride in it all the time and they are right around 40lbs. i dont have any pics of them in it at the moment :eek: it folds so smoothly and pushes smoothly even with a bigger child in it. also if you go to youtube.com and type in a certian stroller they have tons of reviews and its better than looking at pics imo. also baby gizmo does alot of great reviews and i noticed she adds the hight of the seats so you could actually get a number :thumbsup:

SavsMom

The BabyJogger City Micro has a nice tall seat - taller than most strollers, I know my 2 1/2 year old has TONS of room to grow height wise in hers.

mdsvc89

Thanks, guys... I've been thinking the other macs are really more stroller than we need -- he doesn't need a recline, for example.

the city jogger mini is on my radar for when we actually move, but this trip I need to be able to get on/off the muni/bus/BART without causing myself and others too much stress, so it won't work for us.

Off to look at the site with the measurements...

Michelle

mdsvc89

OOOOOH!!!! That looks like it would do nicely... I need to see if I can find it in a B&M store to try it out before buying...

Michelle

mdsvc89

Now THAT's annoying -- max weight capacity seems to be 33.7 lbs. The volo, which has a much shorter torso, holds much more weight.

Jonah is already 35 or so lbs, so that's out.

Sigh.

Off to the store with measuring tape...

hsjwmom

The last post in the thread that InternationalMama linked to says that the Starck has a 55lb weight limit. :confused: I'd be inclined to believe it, seeing as how all the Mac strollers seem to have 55lb+ limit.

http://www.maclarenbaby.com/us/content/view/280/88889563/lang,en/#3

Maclaren buggys are designed and tested to hold up to a 15 kg/33 lbs (55 lbs US) child; the twins are tested to hold up to 15 kg/33 lbs (55 lbs US) each side. Most children determine at what age they no longer want to be in a buggy. Some children want to walk when they’re two, others when they’re five. We suggest you let your child guide the usage of your buggy.

InternationalMama

OOOOOH!!!! That looks like it would do nicely... I need to see if I can find it in a B&M store to try it out before buying...

Michelle

I'm not sure you'll find it a brick and mortar store unless you live near the Maclaren showroom in NYC. :) As far as I can tell they are being clearanced out online now. If you join the Strollerswap yahoo group there is someone selling one for $90 + shipping if you're willing to take a gamble. Also, they were on Gilt.com for cheap not too long ago. You could e-mail Gilt and ask them if they have any left to sell, sometimes they'll sell stuff to you even after the sale is over if they still have some. It comes with a rain cover and travel bag so would be awesome for your SF trip. :)

I agree that the weight limit is most likely 55 lbs.

Last edited:

InternationalMama

actually, i do live near nyc. now THAT would be a funny fieldtrip!

You should call the showroom and ask if they have them! The reason I thought of the showroom is because on the Maclaren website the pic of their showroom shows the display window lined with Starcks. :)

If you live near NYC you could also see if Albeebaby has one on the floor. They have a showroom in Manhattan and they are selling Starcks on their website right now, but they don't have everything in their showroom that they have online. Of course, they don't usually answer their phone so if you have a chance maybe just go there and check. I'm sure they'll have lots of other fun strollers and stuff to check out.

LuvMyCharlie

Get yourself a Baby Jogger MICRO. It has a taller seatback than the mini and my loooooooooong torso, giraffe neck kid still has growing room. In the mini, though, the sunshade pops him in the head everytime. As far as being able to get off a bus with it, it's totally do-able. We've traveled alot with our Micro and everyone(me and others around me) sing it's praises. There is no quicker, easier fold on a stroller.

InternationalMama

Does the Micro have safety snaps you have to snap onto the frame on either side like the Elite does? To me that slows down the fold/unfold quite a bit. In fact, the snaps are so tight I often can't get them on/off with one hand. If the Micro doesn't have those, though, I was also thinking it could be a good choice and I've seen some on sale lately for about $109.

ETA: It's not quite as easy to carry around as an umbrella-type stroller though.

Last edited:

LuvMyCharlie

True, it does. I guess I'm a bad mommy because I've never used them. The stability doesn't seem to be compromised. In fact, I'd guess that most people don't use them or don't even know they're there/what they're for.

lovinwaves

the city jogger mini is on my radar for when we actually move, but this trip I need to be able to get on/off the muni/bus/BART without causing myself and others too much stress, so it won't work for us.

Um, it won't :p

It's perfect for what you are needing :) It's lightweight, AND folds easier than the Mac.

Have you seen one in person or played with one?

This is for the double, but the single is the same. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=56220

Athena

I'd try the Maclaren Starck.[/QUOTE]

Love the look of the purple on sale at Albeebaby.com!

But wouldn't the hinge covers (recall repair) ruin the sleek look of it? :( Does anyone know if Maclaren has redesigned their buggys yet so that the hinge covers won't be needed. At least one company has designed a new hinge so I'm assuming they will. The hinge covers just don't look as good and part of their marketing is style.

armywife12

We have a BJ Micro for my long torsoed 32 month old and we LOVE it. It is the perfect stroller for us right now. We have a Volo as well but the seat back hits about the middle of his head so I'm not that crazy about it and it's very tippy. Caleb has room above his head in the Micro and it is easy peasy to fold and carry around. It is very sturdy as well. The button thingies that are talked about can be a PITA when they are used but we don't use them because the seat can't fold up when a child is sitting in it. I don't really see the point of them. It is the perfect stroller for a long torsoed toddler. There is plenty of storage underneath for us as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC