How many of you have multiple INFANT seats?

PHaley

OK so I know plenty of us have multiple boosters, which fit the kids differently, are kept in different cars or are just different patterns...plenty of us have multiple combination seats and definitely those whose kids are in convertibles usually have more than 1 but...............................

How many of you have multiple infant only seats?
How do you justify it over just having more than one base?
What made you buy another AND keep the original?
Do you use them simultaneously (ie in different cars or switch out during the week)?
Are you planning more kids?

I ask these questions b/c I have a perfectly good 2007 Peg Perego SIP that should get me through this baby and maybe 1 more but I really want a Cow Chaperone and I'm very intrigued by the S1st OBA35 :whistle: Am I crazy, be honest!;)

ADS

PHaley

No one?! So maybe I am crazy to want all 3? I could have sworn though that I've seen posts before with folks who have multiple seats...maybe they were for comparison not for use!

Maedze

I used an an infant seat through my first two, and then 'upgraded' it for my third. But it was a replacement, not in addition to.

I don't like to buy superfluous purchases, though :eek: I had multiple bases for my infant seat and that was sufficient.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's quite possible that no one has been on yet who does, this is a slow-ish time for the board. ;)

I can think of a few reasons to have multiple infant seats.

1. Twins/more. Keep seats for use with later, singleton baby. Or, have one from singleton, buy another (possibly different) for second twin.
2. Low birth weight baby/preemie comes and does not fit previously bought/owned seat.
3. Foster care for children under 2, often/possibly have multiple small infants who may be small enough to need an infant seat for fit.
4. Have a seat and are surprised with the gift of another (new or with a very reputable history from a friend you trust with your child's life.)
5. Hate your current infant seat but keep it for emergencies, while replacing with a nicer one for a new baby.

I'm sure there are other scenarios. Those are 5 I could think of off the top of my head.

Personally, I wouldn't, because I hate infant seats. :p

nmb

I did have two infant seats.... but only because I'd bought one, and then was given one at my baby shower. Hadn't yet gotten around to buying the second base so we just kept & used the two seats instead. I wouldn't have bought two of them though.... so so much mony wasted on infant stuff already in our culture, and infant seats are just another of those things that's used for such a short time for the cost of it.

Of course, having said that, I wasted too much money on carseats altogether anyways. :whistle::thumbsdown:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I had 6 for Leah :D.
http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats# There's a pile of pictures with her in all of them except the Fisher Price Stay In View (old seat with a strap to carry it instead of a handle and an anti-rebound base with a mirror built in, I got it from a tech-friend and loved it for travel). Couldn't stand the Companion, not sure I could stand the Chaperone, at least the handle can be left up now. No way would I ever would have bought a Peg Perego after trying to install a pile of them at a fancy baby store when I was a tech there. The only two I really liked were the Key Fit and the SR35 (safeseat1 in the album), though the Combi Connection was nice when Leah was really heavy, because it weighed so little. I'm not terribly attracted to the OnBoard...it's ok, you can leave the handle up, some of the bases have lockoffs, but I dunno, it would have to have a super cute cover and I don't think it's really compatible with most strollers.

That was just my totally biased not-humble opinion, of course!

abigaylebelle

I had two infant seats for one child. A snugride 22 and then a safeseat 1. The only reason we bought the safeseat was to take on a trip across the world so it was worth it for that. We needed something smaller than a convertible, and ds was around 22lbs.
I could see the advantage in having two infant seats generally though, because I would often leave the seat in my car so if dh was driving around with the bucket and I only had the base I would be annoyed. Also I like infant seats and buying baby items of any kind.

all together ooky

I had two. I bought one and one was a gift I couldn't return. Both are expired now (got rid of one) the other I'm keeping for the next BRU trade-in event.

Holly

I had a different infant seat for all 3 of my kids but didn't have all the seats at the same time.

With the first baby, my SIL gave us her Evenflo seat. It worked ok, but by the time I was pregnant with the 2nd I knew I wanted something else.
The evenflo had a paper clip style chest clip that was a pain. I wanted a Graco double stroller too because my first two are only 16 months apart. We got a duoglider travel system that came with a Snugride.

I liked the Snugride well enough, but by the time the 3rd was on the way, I was more car seat obsessed and wanted a Keyfit. I would have just made do with the Snugride since there was nothing wrong with it, but it was a little too wide to fit in my car 3 across with the seats I already had. I bought a Keyfit from a member here who is also local to me, saved a bunch of money that way and still got the seat I really wanted.

My favorite out of the 3 is the Keyfit. I'd get one again if I had another baby. Though I'm a little too cheap to get a brand new seat when it's not needed. If my Snugride had fit great with my other seats, I would have used it.
I gave it to my SIL who had a baby 4 months before mine, it was great for her because she'd since gotten rid of all infant seats and didn't want to buy another one (4th and last baby and he was a surprise).

tiggercat

I don't like infant only seats enough to have more than one of them. I didn't even have multiple bases for Sam's SR32, and went straight to a convertible for my daughter. I did have two for my eldest, but they were old seats given to me and didn't even have bases.
I really dislike the pegs though, so I might consider buying a new bucket if I were you :D

Spam

I have a KF30 and SS1, but I've also had a babytrend and maxicosi. Um, I have a problem. I bought the bt because it was narrow and would fit easily in a three across. The maxi cosi was on sale and it was too cute and I have to have it to use with my neice and I was certain I'd have a girl next :rolleyes: I sold the mc and bt, and plan to use the kf30 w/ baby, My mom has the ss1 at her house. But I also plan to use the cco.

Pixels

I have only one infant seat, and now only one base for it (the second base expired) and there are now no bases for this seat which are compatible with DH's car. If/when we have #2, I don't know what we will do for his car, if we will use a convertible from birth or get another bucket. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

vonfirmath

If we get pregnant in the next few months, I'll end up with two infant seats. One is loaned out to friends with a very small child and I'd rather them keep the infant seat than ask for it back. Seat has a DOM of 2006 so it would be tight with the next child anyway if it takes a year to get pregnant.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have 2, and no baby. Well 2 usable. I did get a nice portabout off freecycle yesterday! :whistle:

jewlsvern

I have 2, an SR22 and an SS1, I got the SR when DD was born and then planned to use it for DS. We used it for 2-3 months but he was getting so heavy so fast that we bought the SS1 for the higher weight. The SR has 2 bases, but the SS1 just has 1 base. DS is currently using the SS1 and the SR is put away. We are planning to have 1 more so we have kept all our baby gear.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I used two different infant seats for each DD, an On My Way and Cozy Carry for DD1, and a Latch Loc and SS1 for DD2, 4 seats total. This is mainly because they both outgrew their initial seats by height pretty early on thanks to long torsos, and it was still wintery when that occurred each time. I also didn't want to reuse the Evenflo seats I had used for DD1 for DD2. I also was pretty eager to try the SS1 and it wasn't even available on the market until DD2 was 4 or 5 months old, just before she outgrew the Latch Loc by height. Doesn't hold a candle to Jools' impressive collection but I had my reasons, lol. ;)

tl01

I have two infant seats. We have a SS1 from DS1 and a SR for DS2. We bought the snugride b/c we couldn't find the SS1 for a long time. It had been packed into a box when we moved and we hadn't been able to find it. We also needed a different seat to fit in our stroller. We only had a choice of 3 seats and the SR was the one we liked the most of those three. We are going to use the SR in my car for now and the SS1 in DH's car. Once the SR has been outgrown I'll put the SS1 in my car.

ookpix

(Sheepish grin) up until a couple of weeks ago I had... 9...

I am a foster parent and unlike a lot of people on here, I really like buckets - with more than 1 that isn't walking well(and listening well) it is so much easier to hook them over an elbow to get them from point A to point B.

My favorite seat for several years was the snug ride - I still have 1 that exires in another month or so. Then a couple years ago I had a newborn, 15mo, and twin nephews I transported who were also 15m so I got 3 safe seats for the "faux triplets" so I could lug the 4 in and out of the apartment in one trip. Subsequently fell in love with the Key Fit and now have 2 babies each in a KF30 - just bought one of them to replace my KF22 that I haven't yet goten rid of. Lastly, the Baby Trend with no re-thread straps is wonderful for short term or last minute babies - just a twist and it fits anyone up to 22lb. The new ones are up to 30# now... wish I could justify trading them out...

I realized I had a sickness when I cleaned out my shed, garage, and storage unit and realized that I owned 30 carseats... some were expired, I gave some away, and am now down to 13 - I have 2 8-passenger vans so its not that extravagant when u think I have enough to fill the back of both and only have 1 extra!

Anyway, now I am down to 5 infant seats that I am keeping - 1 SS (my small but 3yo nephew JUST outgrew this seat, its great for those big babies and taller toddlers), 2 KF30 - my fav seat, and 2 BT.

fyrfightermomma

Evelyn was our only one who had two different ones. Cause I didn't realize the whole base thing :whistle:

So she had an Evenflo Portabout and a cheapy Eddie Bauer Designer 22 seat. So we always had two seats in our living room. If one person had to pick up the baby from somewhere they needed the correct car to go with the carseat she had. I sure made life difficult for myself.

Sophia I realized you could have a base in your other car, but for some reason, still thought I needed two seats :confused: So she had two Snugride 22's. But hey! They were interchangeable!

I've figured it out by baby #3 and he has just one seat and two bases :)

For me, they were used such a short time (3 months for 1st, 6 months for 2nd) it was pointless to have more than one (well once I figured out you could use one seat in both cars LOL)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC