a CA for a 39 month old?

obamamama

So we sold one of our two vans we need to get rid of before our PCS to Belgium. We are planning on getting a smaller sedan when we get there or maybe find one here and have it shipped. Anyways, I am *itching* to buy a Complete Air for Landen, they have them in stock at my Target.

His stats are:
40"
35lbs
14" torso

He rides in a Nauti now which is fine, but I most likely won't use it in booster mode... I always find something else. Who doesnt?!?!?!

Would you buy it for Rf a kid of his age and stats when he's fine in the seat he has? Talk me into or out of it, PLEASE?

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
How old is he?

If I recall correctly, you're talking about needing to install his seat in a sedan, and he'll need to share the backseat with two teenagers, right?

If that's the case, then yes, I'd get a CA (or a Radian.) Less for his safety, and more for the comfort of your teens. They'll be much more comfortable sitting next to a low-profile RF seat than next to a Nautilus.

And I'd sell the Nautilus to at least offset the cost of the CA/RN.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Does he WANT to RF?

I bought one for a 5 year old with a 16-something" torso to RF in. But she WANTED to RF. She lasted about 9 months before outgrowing by weight. It's now being used sometimes FF by the 6 year old (when she doesn't want a booster) and sometimes RF by the 2 year old (who is over 35 lbs.) So it's been worth it to us, but definitely might not be to some.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
You stated that he is 40" correct? The CA does have a stated 40" rear facing limit *some* parents choose to follow the 1 inch rule for rear facing (and I think I read that someone saw both rules in the manual but I can't confirm that) So if you wanted to use it RFing you'd have to decide whether or not to go passed the manufactures specifications.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Actually, the manual says that you can use it RF to the top of the headrest. A child would have to have no legs to be that tall in the torso at 40".

I personally have no problem disregarding that or any other RF height limit. All Dorel RF height limits are rather ridiculous, this is no exception. I know some are not comfortable with that but I am personally, for my own kids.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Actually, the manual says that you can use it RF to the top of the headrest. A child would have to have no legs to be that tall in the torso at 40".

I personally have no problem disregarding that or any other RF height limit. All Dorel RF height limits are rather ridiculous, this is no exception. I know some are not comfortable with that but I am personally, for my own kids.

I agree with KQ here. I would use it, but others will not. But, the warning in the manual is no different than even the scenera manual that states the rf height limit is 36 inches.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor

Good to know :thumbsup:
I thought that was the case but as I no longer have a CA I couldn't confirm what the manual said. I also like to have parents know all the information so that they can make the parental choice on whether or not to use it past one of the stated limits (even though they contradict themselves) I wouldn't have any problem using it passed the stated RF height limit either.

jessi f

I just bought one for my DS who will be 4 in October :whistle: Sale price + a code posted in the shopping/deals forum brought it down to $136 with free shipping from babiesrus.com. I hoping to RF him again but will have to keep a close eye on his weight. Then use it FF for him until his baby sister outgrows her TF RF then swap their seats. I dont know how he'll take to RF again but he has asked me to turn his seat around like DDs before so I'm hoping he'll like it :)

lovinwaves

Well if you don't mind the huge chestclip, the buckles that fall down in the seat, the continuous harness strap, lack of rear-facing tether, hard to push buckle release, and possible need for rolled up towel or pool noodle while rear-facing...GO FOR IT :love:

Carrie_R

IOW, lovin, it's your most favoritest seat ever?

I just had to post back to :facepalm: about my idiotic question at the start of my post. "How old is he?" Um, self, the title says 39mos...

I still would consider a Radian vs. a CA, but that's just me.

obamamama

I dont have an issue going off the manual since Dorel says you can use it to the top of the headrest for RF.
I have owned a Radian 65 before but frankly it's just tooo dang heavy that I don't think I wanna go that route again... will if I have to.
He says he will RF again and he has sat in the CA at Target before, but that's not installed, so you never know.
I do have 2 other kids that have to ride in the backseat with him, a 13 year old and a 7 year old. I can ride in the back if the teenager doesn't want to.
I measured the two seats though, and from what I get, the Nauti and the CA are the same width.
I guess the only benefit for the CA would be that it RF and possibly make the backseat a bit more comfortable for the other kids.
I may go check them out, he likes the red one and I don't wait for shipping well. When I want a new seat I want it now.
Thanks for the tips and ideas. DH doesn't care as long as I sell the Nauti if I buy the CA.

Carrie_R

I measured the two seats though, and from what I get, the Nauti and the CA are the same width.

Yes, but sitting next to the base of a RFing seat, with nothing next to your upper body vs. sitting next to the substancial sides of a Nautilus is going to make a huge difference.

lovinwaves

With trying to fit two people in the back who aren't done growing yet, I would definitely get a Radian. :sorry!:

ntrenary

You stated that he is 40" correct? The CA does have a stated 40" rear facing limit *some* parents choose to follow the 1 inch rule for rear facing (and I think I read that someone saw both rules in the manual but I can't confirm that) So if you wanted to use it RFing you'd have to decide whether or not to go passed the manufactures specifications.

I just bought a CA and my manual said it's outgrown RFing when the childs head is even w/ the top of the shell.
ETA: sorry I didn't read through all the posts before posting this. Everyone has basically said the same thing.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have to say I rather love the CA for FF as well. It IS a nice seat whichever way you use it (to my mind. I don't mind its quirks.)

obamamama

I know why you recommend the Radian but it's so gosh darn heavy. LOL, and everyone says the recline gets worse over time right? It's a very upright seat when FF too, so it's just probably not gonna work for us.:whistle:

The CA has it's disadvantages I know, but given my penchant for buying/trading/selling seats, I will probably not have it forever anyways. LOL

swtgi1982

They have the to the top of the head rest rule stated not the one inch rule in the owners manual.

Personally I use the one inch rule, why would it change for this seat when all their others the max height for RF does not matter? After all dorel does have other seats that have a height limit for RF (like my touriva) and we all choose to ignore that for the one inch rule, why should this be any different?

But beside the point: My 38mon old DD (almost 39mon) who is 34-35lbs and 38in is in hers and loves it.

ilo

Are you talking about moving to Belgium in Europe? If so why don't you just get a Swedish RF seat?

obamamama

Are you talking about moving to Belgium in Europe? If so why don't you just get a Swedish RF seat?

Well, I would but aren't all the Swedish RF seats HUGE? Like not small enough to allow for a 3 across that we'd need. Not a typical 3 acrosss, but with a boostered 7 year old and a teenager too.

I'd like to move over there with possibly both seats and see which one works best in the new car. LOL, so much for selling the Nauti to offset the cost.

I checked out Landen in the CA today at Target and he has about the same room in the harness as the Nauti. I do like that it has much more recline for him to sleep as he does frequently in the car. He slumps so much in the Nauti. He may or may not want to go RF again afterall, but at least buying the CA now gives me some leeway on the plane too. It is FAA certified right?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC