Question SafeGuard used to make child seats?

y_p_w

Again - I'm new to all this, but I searched the archive for "SafeGuard" and found a whole lot of hits for car seats that seemed to cost a small fortune and don't seem to be on the market any more.

I was under the impression that a big part of their business was car seat parts like harness systems and LATCH connectors. I guess they make snap hooks, but their highest profile components seem to be those push-button release LATCH connectors, with the name molded on the side. I've seen those identical LATCH connectors on a bunch of different products, including from Dorel, Chicco, and Combi.

This sort of makes me wonder why this is such a specialized industry that there aren't a whole lot of players. I would think that seatbelt makers like TRW or Takata might have the technical and manufacturing skills to do this. IMMI (the parent company of SafeGuard) seems to be intent on being a niche player with seatbelts for specialized uses, like commercial vehicles and buses, as well as ambulance restraints.

ADS

Jennifer mom to my 7

Yes, safeguard made a great seat, called the safeguard child seat. It practically installed itself, forward facing only 20? or 22 pounds to 60 pounds.

They also made the safeguard go, which dorel bought the rights? or whatever to, and is now being marketed as the safety first go hybrid booster. http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Pr...ails/2384-22256AHE-Go-Hybrid-Booster-Car-Seat

I think they just left the regular child restraint market to continue doing their bus restraints and parts. There was a rumor that someone also bought the rights? or whatever to the child seat, but we haven't seen it yet.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I love my SGCSs. They are incredible (and they go up to 65 lbs., with 19 inch top slots. :) ) My kids love them too. It was a sad day when IMMI had to pull out of the market. I guess it just wasn't profitable for them. The Go did get bought by Dorel, but no one has bought the CS. I love the lockoffs for lap/shoulder belt as well as the LATCH. It just is so well-designed and easy to use.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC