We got a car - what accessories are needed?

abemom2

We just got a Mercury Sable 99. (Old car in great condition, only 65,000 km.))

Water, blankets, flashlight.

What else? (Starters...?)

1.I would like some sort of inexpensive back support.

2. Some sort of organizer for my kids stuff, and a protector for the back of the driver's seat for my FF child. He likes putting his feet on the seat. Is this one good? http://www.skjp.com/product/73538/10230/_/Stuff_'n_Scuff™

I'm very clueless about cars. Also, I'm in Canada, so Canadian Tire, Walmart...

We're with 3 car seats in the back.

Thanks so much, Ana

Last edited:
ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Batteries cables
Water
Jack
Insuance info in glove box with disposable camera and pen

BrendansMommy

I generally like to have as little in the car as possible. Otherwise, I junk it up pretty fast. :eek:

I agree on insurance info, jumper cables, jack, etc. Maybe AAA phone #? I keep a change of clothes, a couple of spare diapers, and wipes in the back of my SUV (in addition to what I carry in the diaper bag). When we're in the middle of soccer/t-ball season (like now) a couple of camping chairs live back there, too.

A stroller of some sort and the Ergo is always with us. On a side note, that Ergo absolutely saved us when we were in a wreck on the interstate a few years ago. Bman was terrified to stay in the car and I was able to pop him on my back in there and not worry about him wandering onto the highway.

So, maybe I do have a lot of crap in there, but I do try to keep it whittled down to the crap we use a lot. :cool:

christineka

I have an emergency kit in my van. It's got band aids, plastic bags, foil, pencils, paper (in case I have to write a note), boullion cubes, water purifier tablets, canldes, and compasses. I should have more, but that's what I've got for now. The band aids have come in handy on numerous occasions.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Unless it's a '99 Sable wagon which already has factory equipped top tether anchors, then retrofitting tether anchors would be on my list if you're transporting forward facing harnessed kiddos since you're in Canada (and I'd urge the same in the U.S. but you also have the Canadian requirement to top tether), if it hasn't already been retrofitted. Mercury (and Ford's) Program R7C reimburses Mercury/Ford dealerships for retrofitting top tether anchors, so there shouldn't be an out of pocket cost to you to do so. The tether anchor retrofit part number for the '99 Sable is F6DZ54613D74-A for each rear seating position in the sedan model, which has 3 drilled holes in the rear filler panel.

Congrats on the new to you car. :)

abemom2

Thanks. I think it has 2 tethers. They look ugly since it's bolted in the top of the car, well - there's no where else to put them. it's a big bolt with a round closed hook. They're on the 2 sides.

I bought a medium rubbermaid container and have water, a change of clothes for the younger ones, diapers..., 2 small fleece blankets, and a baby carrier.

I have a first aid kit in the glove compartment. I guess I need a jack, and cables. Not too bad!

Thanks.

cookie123

I have an emergency kit in my van. It's got band aids, plastic bags, foil, pencils, paper (in case I have to write a note), boullion cubes, water purifier tablets, canldes, and compasses. I should have more, but that's what I've got for now. The band aids have come in handy on numerous occasions.

What are the boullion cubes for? Sorry, I apparently can't spell boullion.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Thanks. I think it has 2 tethers. They look ugly since it's bolted in the top of the car, well - there's no where else to put them. it's a big bolt with a round closed hook. They're on the 2 sides.

Is it a sedan model, and are the tether anchors on the top of the car as in the car's ceiling, or on the rear filler panel/shelf behind the back seat where the sedan model has the predrilled holes according to the LATCH manual? Hopefully they're in the correct place on the rear filler panel. If not, sounds like you've got some tether anchor retrofitting to deal with. :eek: I also learned the other day that Ford/Mercury's free tether anchor retrofit program ended last year in Canada. There's a newer thread about that ending over in the Canadian and International section of the forum, but it's still possible to purchase tether anchor retrofit parts from a Ford/Mercury dealership if need be. You could probably do the install yourself with a torque wrench if the dealership would otherwise charge beaucoup dollars to install the anchors. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC