Would like help from fellow fire fighter type people!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
We had our pancake feed at the fire department on Sunday. I was told after the fact that I should buy another backless booster for the fire truck, for the fire truck rides. I use a turbo now, but it does not fit well with the SCBA. So, anyone try a backless booster in a fire truck? I know they are all a little different.

Last edited:
ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
So, I looked at the spreadsheet. Not seeing much in a backless that will work. I want the mearsure the AMP. I have a little less that a year. Wonder if anything new will come out.

Last edited:

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Re: Would like help for fellow fire fighter type people!

We don't allow riders in any vehicle of our department except in Rescue 1 (Chevy Suburban) Rescue 2 (heavy rescue can't remember make) in the front passenger seat where there is a lap and shoulder belt (no air bags) the back are side facing and rear facing seats... and Rescue 3 (2010 Ford F350) in the back seat (airbags are not able to be turned off)

We have 2 engines and 3 tankers that are no-no's. The engine seats are all rear facing with SCBA, lap belts only, and the tankers (1 and 2) are lap belt only built in the 70's, Tanker 3 is a 2008 or 09 and has just the 1 passenger seat, but I have set the precedence that if 1 and 2 are a no-no, then 3 needs to be as well. We have too many members that are not capable of understanding the difference unfortunately :(

Sorry I can't be more help, just wanted to tell you what we do. Mostly the only kids in the trucks are mine, or are teenagers so we have to provide our own seats... or I provide one of mine for other needs

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
No one wants to ride in foam 135, it is an F150, I think. Duty is am old, old suburban that s FINALLY getting replaced. We use engine 137, which has 3 FFing seats with SCBA in the back, and the (old truck) tender 136. It has lap only and the nauti works great in there.

Last edited:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
So, I looked at the spreadsheet. Not seeing much in a backless that will work. I want the mearsure the AMP. I have a little less that a year. Wonder if anything new will come out.

I know less than zero about fire trucks, but -- one point about the spreadsheet is that it only measures the width at the absolute widest place on the whole seat. There are some that are listed as decievingly wide on there, like the Monterey (says 18 when I think the actual base is 15) and the Cosco Ambassador (wide at the curve of the stowed cupholders, very narrow further back.)

I have trouble with the Turbo in one of my seats due to the shape of the armrests and the fact that it's very square, when the two boosters above fit well in the same spot. It literally will not buckle. So it may be that you don't so much need a different size booster, but a different shape.

The SCBA-whatever goes way above my head (I keep reading it as "SCUBA" lol!) so I'm sharing my totally NON-firefighter type people experience ;)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well, SCBA is like scuba. I am looking for a booster that is narrow in the back.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ah, then the Amp is not what you're looking for. The Monterey might actually be the narrowest at the back I know of.

fyrfightermomma

We have all fairly new engines so the SCBA is pretty much recessed in all the seats and all have lap/shoulder

We just have a cheapy Evenflo booster we use if anyone goes in there. It fits, but again we have really new engines so the SCBA really doesn't get in the way at all. It's flush against our backs when we sit in it if that makes any sense

We only have people in there rarely for special events so we haven't really used it other than 4th of July parades.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If the Turbo's only a bit too wide, I'd seriously consider a Cosco Highrise/Ambassador. Something like $16 at Wal-Mart and it seems to position the belt well on my gang, at least. It's narrower in the back than the front. I have one in my vehicle -- I'll go measure it.

ETA: These measurements are all on the bottom/base, which is wider than the top/seat. The whole seat tapers in at the top. The widest part is a few inches back from the front (legs,) where the cupholders are, at 17.25 (I think... this is the only measurement I'm not sure of. Should have written them down.) Then it tapers in to 13.25" in the belt area, before going back out to 16" at the back of the belt area, and finally tapering back down to 14" across the very back. The 16" part is appx 3.5 inches from the back of the seat.

The space between the armrests in the very back is something like 10.5" and the narrowest space in the belt path is about 11". The whole seat is narrower in the back and tapers to be wider in the front. Not sure the ages you have riding with, but my 90lb 8yo has never complained about the booster, although I've never asked him about comfort. Then again he's fighting me about trading his Pronto for a Monterey :/, so maybe he's not a good test case for comfort, lol.

For contrast, the Monterey (backless) is appx 15" across the whole seat. It's fairly square, just a bit wider in the front than the back.

ETA2: Since I mentioned it, the Pronto is very wide, don't even bother trying with that one.

Last edited:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, here are pics.

100_1010.jpg

100_1009.jpg

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
And a video...

Since I am not always the one dealing with the kids, I want something easier.

christineka

Here's a picture I found that might be useful to you. I think the cosco might work. It is definitely thinner at the back than the turbobooster.

boosterlineup.jpg

cosconbb.jpg

turbo.jpg

literidermeasure.jpg

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Thanks! Is is bad that I was hoping for something more fun than a cosco, lol. I may have one in the garage. I will check.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC