Ergo hurting my back. Any other options?

lovinwaves

I got an Ergo last week or so. I am taking care of my newborn nephew quite a bit, and need a GOOD carrier, because this kid loves it :love:

I really love the Ergo, but when doing a front carry the back hip strap digs into my back. I end up with back pain, but not sure if it's from the actual carrier, or that strap :confused:

Any other suggestions, or should I just stick with the Ergo?

PS: I do have a very very bad lower back anyways, so it could just be me or maybe I am not using it right. I can take pictures if need be.

Thanks!

ADS

mcomommy

I have the Becco and I get back/shoulder/neck pain unless I push the bottom strap down so it is pretty much all on my hips and then I tighten it as much as possible. When I do it right I can wear my DS for a 4 mile walk while pushing both DD's in the stroller and have no pain. I don't have any prior back pain though.

NVMBR02

It is possible you just need to adjust it a bit differently. Maybe you are holding the baby too low? (although, I think you get shoulder pain from that) i would try adjusting things differently and see if you can find a position that feel a bit more comfortable.
That being said the Ergo was never very comfortable to me.I am not sure exactly what the problem was but I never could get it adjusted right. I love my Beco Butterfly and I like my baby Hawk so a different carrier might be a better fit.

Pixels

I always get lower back pain when I do a front carry in the Ergo. Granted, I'm doing it with a 22-24 pound toddler, but still. The hip strap slides down in front and up in back and then pulls on my lumbar area really badly. One time I was able to get it adjusted properly so that it stayed up in front and down in back and didn't pull anywhere near as much.

Auntie2Avi

I've never been comfortable in the Ergo, back pain, shoulder pain, everything. I was talking about it in chat the other day and I'm thinking about getting a Beco. I've been using the Infantino Wrap & Tie that I got off woot a few weeks ago and love it. It is so comfortable for me, no pain after 2+ hours versus pain with the Ergo after 10 minutes. If you have a Target near you they sell it and it is a cheap way to try out another carrier.

HTH

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
For a newborn, I would probably go with a simple ring sling. I used one with S until he was 4mos, and 18lbs, and we both loooved it. It has a pretty easy learning curve, too, and is inexpensive. (Check out sleepingbaby.net)

If you want something two-shouldered, or with a bit more structure, I started using a BabyHawk at 4mos, but I know they are suitable for newborns as well. The bottom straps go at your natural waist, rather than your hips, so that might help. (It's very similar to the Infantino Wrap & Tie, but I personally cannot trust Infantino carriers after the bag sling debacle.)

IMO SSCs really shine in back carries, which you wouldn't need for a newborn. It might be better to bust out the Ergo in a few months, when you can pop him on your back.

lovinwaves

I always get lower back pain when I do a front carry in the Ergo. Granted, I'm doing it with a 22-24 pound toddler, but still. The hip strap slides down in front and up in back and then pulls on my lumbar area really badly. One time I was able to get it adjusted properly so that it stayed up in front and down in back and didn't pull anywhere near as much.

This exactly!! You hit the nail on the head.

Would a Beco 4th Gen be better?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
What about at Toddler Hawk? Less $, and very adjustable. I wear Kira (27 lb) on my front almost exclusively, because it hides my tummy.

lovinwaves

Why Toddlerhawk over the Babyhawk Ulrike? Are they the same brand just the toddlerhawk has a higher back on it?

Here is DN in the Ergo with me. It's a photo taken from my Mac so sorry the quality is bad.

31501_420899109413_612249413_5378538_3985038_n.jpg

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Why Toddlerhawk over the Babyhawk Ulrike? Are they the same brand just the toddlerhawk has a higher back on it?

Not Ulrike, but, yes. The Toddlerhawk is just a taller version of the BH. The nice thing about them is that you can just roll the waistband up to shorten the body for an itty, then have the length to let it out as they get older. Although I'm not sure of the comfort level on that; I think the bumpiness would bug me. But I know many do it.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Here's what their website says:

We have three options for our carriers: the regular Mei Tai (approx 16.5 x 21.5) and the Toddler Mei Tai (which is 3 inches taller than the regular mei tai, approx 16.5 x 23.5) And the Oh Snap! SSC (which is approx. 16.5 x 20.5)

The Regular Mei Tai BabyHawk is great for all children from the newborn right up through the toddler years. The Toddler Mei Tai is meant for older children AT LEAST 18 MONTHS or older. The Oh Snap is great for children 15 lbs to 45 lbs and offers buckles and webbing instead of long straps to tie like the Mei Tai.

I got my ToddlerHawk just after Kira's first birthday. I didn't find it to be over-large at all. If your DN is much younger than a year, though, a BabyHawk is probably the better option.

LittlePeanut

I have an Ergo and while it's "okay" I MUCH prefer my Two Mommas Designs buckle tai. It's way more comfortable and easier to get on and adjust with no chest clip needed. I'm convinced the chest clip was an afterthought for a poorly designed carrier. IMO if it's designed properly, the chest clip is unnecessary since it should just stay in place naturally.

jnamommy

I used to use a BabyHawk for dd. As she has gotten too call, and I wanted more support for her, I got a Babies Beyond Borders half buckle mei tai in the toddler size. It is wonderful. I buckle the portion around my waist, then tie the top straps. Absolutely no back pain, it is so super comfy. I think the buckle around the waist allows you to get it to fit just right

cpsaddict

I love my Pikkolo for front carries. DD is 23lbs and I still carry her up front comfortably. Now, if I could get to stop kicking me....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC