Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

dd gets car sick when forward facing

new baby will be here sept 1
    ds1 is ff
    ds2 is only 21 months old rf
    ds3 new baby rf

dd will turn 4 in june and i can only fit two rf carseats in my car desperately need help any suggestions would be appreciated

i just think putting dd ff is safer option than ff my soon to be 2 yr old

has anybody else had a child get car sick when they are ff ?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: dd gets car sick when forward facing

Have you tried putting her in the middle? I get car sick too when i'm in the backseat, but when you're in the middle it helps because you're looking out of the front window. Other than that, maybe she just needs time to adjust to FF? I wish i could help more...
    Mommy to Jazlynn, 18 months, RF in a Britax Marathon

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

What car do you have? What car seats? Could you fit baby in say, a Coccoro behind the driver?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    What car do you have? What car seats? Could you fit baby in say, a Coccoro behind the driver?
    I believe (and this could have changed) that OP has a 7 seater sienna. While more rfing seats can fit, she or her dh may be unwilling to place a rfing child on the third row. After having a few rfing kids in the third row, I understand.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    02 mercury Mountaineer current seats 3 true fits and 2 nautilus
    i really need to get in touch with a car seat tech

Are you willing to purchase new seats, if it would help to keep your daughter RF and therefore non-carsick?

Can you list your kids' ages, weights, and which seats they ride in?

It's entirely possible that it's a do-able situation. I'm a believer in where there's a will, there's a way... I have four RFers in my Pilot on a daily basis.

ETA: Don't turn your two year old. I forgot to say that the first time around lol. Are your third row headrests removable? I tried to look up some interior pics, but I couldn't tell that.
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie_R View Post
    Are you willing to purchase new seats, if it would help to keep your daughter RF and therefore non-carsick?

Can you list your kids' ages, weights, and which seats they ride in?

It's entirely possible that it's a do-able situation. I'm a believer in where there's a will, there's a way... I have four RFers in my Pilot on a daily basis.

ETA: Don't turn your two year old. I forgot to say that the first time around lol. Are your third row headrests removable? I tried to look up some interior pics, but I couldn't tell that.
    the head rest are removeable
    ds1 36lbs graco nautilus
    dd 27 lbs rf truefit
    ds2 19 lbs rf truefit

Well... here's my suggestion, if you're interested. I know it will sound slightly insane, but it's what I do every day, so it's not as nuts as it sounds.

Install the two TF, RFing, in your third row, for DD and DS2. Remove the headrests and stow them somewhere. Then put the FFing Nautilus in the second row, along with the infant base.

I have a Pilot, so obviously a very different SUV, but the pics I was able to find of your interior it looked like it would work.

I load my second row kids through the car doors. I load my third row kids through the back hatch. I can stand on the ground and lift them over the back, then kneel in the "trunk" and buckle them. I thought it was positively insane at first, but it works like a DREAM and is easier than it was to buckle kids in my van.

I do have to have my second row moved up, but I also have a Radian back there. A TrueFit would take up less front-to-back room.

If you have to slide that second row up, you might want to consider putting your FFer in the center, so that he has some room for head excursion.

With four, you'll have to have someone in the third row, and this solves the problem of needing to be able to fold/slide a seat to access it. It has its own door for RFers.

If that sounds like something you would consider, it may solve your problems.
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

I don't know for sure, but your 02 Mountaineer and my 04 Explorer should be very closely related interior-wise.

Why can you onlt fit 2 rfing seats? Others have speculated... What is the real answer?

The third row is super odd space wise. I know a TFP w/ headrest will not fit. i can try again, but it didn't in December.
    Rachel - CPST-I and Mommy to:
    Tripp - 12/22/07 48" and 45# FF FR85
    Aubrey - 11/20/09 38" and 33# ERF in an XTSL
    Bella- 7/13/11 33.5" 24#- XTSL and MySize70

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by trippsmom View Post
    I don't know for sure, but your 02 Mountaineer and my 04 Explorer should be very closely related interior-wise.

Why can you onlt fit 2 rfing seats? Others have speculated... What is the real answer?

The third row is super odd space wise. I know a TFP w/ headrest will not fit. i can try again, but it didn't in December.
    on third row i can't get a good intall rf with the truefits and on the 2nd row only two truefits will fit rf because of lack of space

I just want to say that every one that is been able to rf there child so long is lucky. My poor nephew has the opposet prouble he got terribley carsick when he RF. Not when he was in his infant seat but when we had to put him in a bigger carseat.

I don't suppose you could get a radian or a complete air?
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

CPS Fanatic

I think if you were able to get a Radian or Complete Air, you'd be able to fit 3 across. I have an 03 Mountaineer and just recently had a RF MyRide, RF Snugride (w/out base), and RF True Fit in the second row. I have a Radian I could try in between the MyRide and True fit. I have no doubt it would fit as far as space goes but I have yet to try out the compatibility between the Radian and center of Mountaineer.
    Caleb Joshua: 8/17/2007; 45.5 inches, 46-47lbs, 17 inch torso; FF in a FN85 and Complete Air Sarah Rose: 05/15/2011; 22lbs, 31 inches; RF in a Britax Roundabout 50 and Combi Coccoro

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by armywife12 View Post
    I think if you were able to get a Radian or Complete Air, you'd be able to fit 3 across. I have an 03 Mountaineer and just recently had a RF MyRide, RF Snugride (w/out base), and RF True Fit in the second row. I have a Radian I could try in between the MyRide and True fit. I have no doubt it would fit as far as space goes but I have yet to try out the compatibility between the Radian and center of Mountaineer.
    my second row middle seat is lap belt only and my 02 doesn't have latch
    i would love itif you would try a radian in the middle and post on how it fits
    have you been able to install a truefit rf in your third row ?
    i could proably swing buying an extra seat by the babys due date
    current seats 3 truefits 2 nautilus

CPS Fanatic

I was't able to fit the True fit w/ headrest RF in the third row. I put the XTSL RF in the center between the RF MyRide and RF True fit and it worked perfectly. The Radian barely touched the two seats and it was super easy to install in the center using the seat belt BUT I have a shoulder/lap belt in the middle so I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make. It was almost too simple to tighten properly. It was VERY upright though. I had to jiggle it a bit to try and get it a little more reclined. I think I could probably get it a little more reclined if I tried again. In my pics, it may even be too upright but I'm not sure.

My picture is angled but the XTSL was leaning a little bit but I didn't try very hard to jiggle it back since I was just trying out the fit.

I was trying to show how they barely touch but I'm not sure I achieved that in this pic lol. It was hard for me to angle it correctly and I'm not a great picture taker.
    Last edited by armywife12; 05-09-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: resize pictures
    Caleb Joshua: 8/17/2007; 45.5 inches, 46-47lbs, 17 inch torso; FF in a FN85 and Complete Air Sarah Rose: 05/15/2011; 22lbs, 31 inches; RF in a Britax Roundabout 50 and Combi Coccoro

Armywife, your backseat looks like mine, except you have leather. Actually the interior is nearly identical down to the roof console and vents.

I think an rn would be great in the middle and it installs well rfing there.

I did a successful 3 across once with, driver to passenger: a Nautilus 5pt installed w/ seatbelt, an sr22 on base w/ locking clip (tipping issue), and rfing TFP.
    Rachel - CPST-I and Mommy to:
    Tripp - 12/22/07 48" and 45# FF FR85
    Aubrey - 11/20/09 38" and 33# ERF in an XTSL
    Bella- 7/13/11 33.5" 24#- XTSL and MySize70