dd gets car sick when forward facing

vangelder03

new baby will be here sept 1
ds1 is ff
ds2 is only 21 months old rf
ds3 new baby rf

dd will turn 4 in june and i can only fit two rf carseats in my car desperately need help any suggestions would be appreciated

i just think putting dd ff is safer option than ff my soon to be 2 yr old

has anybody else had a child get car sick when they are ff ?

ADS

Jazlynn's Mommy

Have you tried putting her in the middle? I get car sick too when i'm in the backseat, but when you're in the middle it helps because you're looking out of the front window. Other than that, maybe she just needs time to adjust to FF? I wish i could help more...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What car do you have? What car seats? Could you fit baby in say, a Coccoro behind the driver?

christineka

What car do you have? What car seats? Could you fit baby in say, a Coccoro behind the driver?

I believe (and this could have changed) that OP has a 7 seater sienna. While more rfing seats can fit, she or her dh may be unwilling to place a rfing child on the third row. After having a few rfing kids in the third row, I understand.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Are you willing to purchase new seats, if it would help to keep your daughter RF and therefore non-carsick?

Can you list your kids' ages, weights, and which seats they ride in?

It's entirely possible that it's a do-able situation. I'm a believer in where there's a will, there's a way... I have four RFers in my Pilot on a daily basis. :)

ETA: Don't turn your two year old. I forgot to say that the first time around lol. Are your third row headrests removable? I tried to look up some interior pics, but I couldn't tell that.

vangelder03

Are you willing to purchase new seats, if it would help to keep your daughter RF and therefore non-carsick?

Can you list your kids' ages, weights, and which seats they ride in?

It's entirely possible that it's a do-able situation. I'm a believer in where there's a will, there's a way... I have four RFers in my Pilot on a daily basis. :)

ETA: Don't turn your two year old. I forgot to say that the first time around lol. Are your third row headrests removable? I tried to look up some interior pics, but I couldn't tell that.

the head rest are removeable
ds1 36lbs graco nautilus
dd 27 lbs rf truefit
ds2 19 lbs rf truefit

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Well... here's my suggestion, if you're interested. I know it will sound slightly insane, but it's what I do every day, so it's not as nuts as it sounds.

Install the two TF, RFing, in your third row, for DD and DS2. Remove the headrests and stow them somewhere. Then put the FFing Nautilus in the second row, along with the infant base.

I have a Pilot, so obviously a very different SUV, but the pics I was able to find of your interior it looked like it would work.

I load my second row kids through the car doors. I load my third row kids through the back hatch. I can stand on the ground and lift them over the back, then kneel in the "trunk" and buckle them. I thought it was positively insane at first, but it works like a DREAM and is easier than it was to buckle kids in my van.

I do have to have my second row moved up, but I also have a Radian back there. A TrueFit would take up less front-to-back room.

If you have to slide that second row up, you might want to consider putting your FFer in the center, so that he has some room for head excursion.

With four, you'll have to have someone in the third row, and this solves the problem of needing to be able to fold/slide a seat to access it. It has its own door for RFers. :)

If that sounds like something you would consider, it may solve your problems. :)

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I don't know for sure, but your 02 Mountaineer and my 04 Explorer should be very closely related interior-wise.

Why can you onlt fit 2 rfing seats? Others have speculated... What is the real answer?

The third row is super odd space wise. I know a TFP w/ headrest will not fit. i can try again, but it didn't in December.

vangelder03

I don't know for sure, but your 02 Mountaineer and my 04 Explorer should be very closely related interior-wise.

Why can you onlt fit 2 rfing seats? Others have speculated... What is the real answer?

The third row is super odd space wise. I know a TFP w/ headrest will not fit. i can try again, but it didn't in December.

on third row i can't get a good intall rf with the truefits and on the 2nd row only two truefits will fit rf because of lack of space

babycat124

I just want to say that every one that is been able to rf there child so long is lucky. My poor nephew has the opposet prouble he got terribley carsick when he RF. Not when he was in his infant seat but when we had to put him in a bigger carseat. :(

armywife12

I think if you were able to get a Radian or Complete Air, you'd be able to fit 3 across. I have an 03 Mountaineer and just recently had a RF MyRide, RF Snugride (w/out base), and RF True Fit in the second row. I have a Radian I could try in between the MyRide and True fit. I have no doubt it would fit as far as space goes but I have yet to try out the compatibility between the Radian and center of Mountaineer.

vangelder03

I think if you were able to get a Radian or Complete Air, you'd be able to fit 3 across. I have an 03 Mountaineer and just recently had a RF MyRide, RF Snugride (w/out base), and RF True Fit in the second row. I have a Radian I could try in between the MyRide and True fit. I have no doubt it would fit as far as space goes but I have yet to try out the compatibility between the Radian and center of Mountaineer.

my second row middle seat is lap belt only and my 02 doesn't have latch
i would love itif you would try a radian in the middle and post on how it fits
have you been able to install a truefit rf in your third row ?
i could proably swing buying an extra seat by the babys due date
current seats 3 truefits 2 nautilus

armywife12

I was't able to fit the True fit w/ headrest RF in the third row. I put the XTSL RF in the center between the RF MyRide and RF True fit and it worked perfectly. The Radian barely touched the two seats and it was super easy to install in the center using the seat belt BUT I have a shoulder/lap belt in the middle so I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make. It was almost too simple to tighten properly. It was VERY upright though. I had to jiggle it a bit to try and get it a little more reclined. I think I could probably get it a little more reclined if I tried again. In my pics, it may even be too upright but I'm not sure.
P5091077.jpg

P5091078.jpg

My picture is angled but the XTSL was leaning a little bit but I didn't try very hard to jiggle it back since I was just trying out the fit.
P5091079.jpg

P5091080.jpg

I was trying to show how they barely touch but I'm not sure I achieved that in this pic lol. It was hard for me to angle it correctly and I'm not a great picture taker.

Last edited:

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Armywife, your backseat looks like mine, except you have leather. Actually the interior is nearly identical down to the roof console and vents.

I think an rn would be great in the middle and it installs well rfing there.

I did a successful 3 across once with, driver to passenger: a Nautilus 5pt installed w/ seatbelt, an sr22 on base w/ locking clip (tipping issue), and rfing TFP.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC