Another GN?

*jen*

So I've decided to pull the Radian that my Daughter is currently in in my parent's car and put it in mine so my 18 month old can continue to ride RFing as he has outgrown his RA. So...the question is. For my 4 year old daughter, should I get another GN or something else for my parent's car. I like the GN. She rides in it in both my and my husband's car. The plan is to have her ride in whatever we get her for the next 1 1/2 years and then move my son into it and move her to a booster with seatbelt(if she meets the requirements, maturity, where the belt hits her, etc.) which I'm pretty sure she will. If not we'll just buy him another seat when he is 3 and needs a 5 pt booster. So my question is...is there another 5 pt. booster that people like better than the GN?? I don't want to buy another just because that is what I know and like. It needs to be relatively light(not like the Radian) as my dad constantly complains about how heavy it is and he has to be able to take it in and out easily. He is a total wimp and such a pain about carseats. They ride in their car once a month or less, but I obviously still want them in safe seats. There are crazy drivers out there!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
How much does she weigh?

The Evenflo Maestro has 18" top harness slots and a 50 pound weight limit. It converts to a booster, but it won't last very long in booster mode after the harness is outgrown. But, you can find it for $75 or $80 online at Amazon, Sears, and I think in stores at Sears and Burlington Coat Factory's Baby Depot (and maybe more places, too). I think it's fairly lightweight. It might be a nice, inexpensive alternative to the Nautilus for a lesser-used car.

Lemonade

The new FR85 is lighter than the GN. I have the older FR and LOVE them. I also have a GN and I'm not so fond of it but I only use it for when I give rides to DS's friends.

*jen*

Does the Maestro install relatively easily? My dad is a total baby with carseat installation in his car.

Sorry..what does FR stand for?

*jen*

Ok, just read the reviews on the Maestro. Bummer about the headrest issue, but I have my son to pass this down to and at this price it would work well as a Grandma occasional seat. I'm just nervous about the straps digging into her neck. I think I'll go see if my Sears has one in stock and put my DD in it. If they dig in there is no way she will be happy! Good news about how light and easy to install it is. My dad hates the Radian because it is so heavy and he is old(he is only 65..he's just a baby!)

If anyone knows what FR is let me know! I can't find the acronymn list on here. :whistle:

*jen*

Oh is FR, the Britax Frontier?? If so, that is a nice seat, but too expensive for a very rarely used seat in grandpa's car. I will look into that one when my son is ready to move up though. I love Britax!

MomToEliEm

If anyone knows what FR is let me know! I can't find the acronymn list on here. :whistle:

Britax Frontier - old version has 80lb harness limit, new version has an 85lb harness limit. It can be difficult to install sometimes and pretty heavy (19.6lb for 85 and 23.5lb for the 80 version) so it might not be a good choice for your father.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
FR85 is shorthand for the Britax Frontier85, sorry we slip into acronymese sometimes here, apologies for any confusion. There's a list of abbreviations over in the Articles forum but I'm not sure if the FR85 is even on it yet as it's a relatively new carseat model that takes the place of the earlier Britax Frontier combination seat (with the original Frontier also known as the FR for short around here. :))

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC