What happened to T-shields?

Splash

Why are OHS still legal, and t-shields aren't? T shields definitely seem far safer than OHS, and very easy to use. They seem like perfect seats for those unable/unwilling to properly use a 5 pt.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They would be nice, given our sexually obsessed and lawsuit driven society...I'd want them if I were a daycare provider or head start bus driver, that's for sure (wouldn't want to get anywhere near a kids' genitals, even by accident these days...).

They disappeared in about 2003, and that was that, I'm not sure why (haven't heard anything about lawsuits or anything, I guess the FP and Tourivas were recalled, I don't know if their demise had anything to do with a change in testing standards....)

beebear23

Senior Community Member
They would be nice, given our sexually obsessed and lawsuit driven society...I'd want them if I were a daycare provider or head start bus driver, that's for sure (wouldn't want to get anywhere near a kids' genitals, even by accident these days...).
)

That's for sure! I HATED buckling kids into their car seats at preschool. I almost prefered the boosters over the 5-points.. almost. The 5-points fit 3 across better than boosters..

trailrunnermom

I had a Fisher-Price T-shield seat for my daughter from 1992 to 1996. It was a great seat and so easy to use! She was not a child who tried to escape from her car seat, but the t-shield might not have held a child determined to wriggle out. :) I don't know why they stopped making them...maybe because 5-point harnesses were so much better...but I agree completely about the OHS seats...what's up with that?!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
They stopped making them b/c of 'shield slap' and the damage it did internally in crashes IIRC. I don't think there have been as many issues w/ the OHS seats that way.

tjham

Funny you should ask about this now. I recently sent the following email to the AAP site because they still show OHS and T-shields on their site.

http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm

It notes that this page was recently updated. Great, but why are there still pictures of an awful overhead shield and a T-shield seat? Overhead seats are not recommended by safety seat experts and T-shields are all expired.

Here is their response:

Thank you for your comments. Convertible car safety seats with shields are still on the market (see http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4875437) and still can be certified to meet FMVSS 213 requirements. Convertible seats with shields are not recommended for small or preterm infants.

Convertible seats with T shields are still available and in use by some child care and preschool programs that provide transportation for children. The T shield helps avoid situations where the driver has to dig between the child's legs to pull out the buckle.

While some researchers have expressed concern about the relative safety of overhead and T shields (ie, Weber 2000), there has not yet been evidence compelling enough to change the AAP recommendations. The policy statement on this topic ("Selecting and Using the Most Appropriate Car Safety Seats for Growing Children: Guidelines for Counseling Parents" http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;109/3/550) is in the early stages of revision and will be revised with all available evidence in mind. In addition, we are planning a comprehensive revision of "Car Safety Seats: A Guide for Families" for 2008 and will consider incorporating updated graphics as possible.

(Contact information Edited by Admin)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Just b/c people still use t-shields, doesn't make them safe or unexpired! Yikes! There are times when an OHS are better than 5pt seats, but it's not common.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just b/c people still use t-shields, doesn't make them safe or unexpired! Yikes! There are times when an OHS are better than 5pt seats, but it's not common.

Ah, it makes sense if there was T-shield damage to little abdomens. Yeah, but check out the new OHS seats, they have loose crotch straps...they are *harder* to use than 5 pt harnesses now, because you have to dig under the shield to get it buckled (that's the scenera, not sure about the tribute, i haven't seen one irl). Maybe for super houdini kids, but definitely not a good recommendation for grandma's with dexterity problems like they used to be (when a solid latchplate snapped into a buckle mounted in the seat, now those WERE great for the finger-mobility challenged).

:)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The silver lining of Leila's 1st convertible being expired was that it was easy enough for Grandma to use correctly :eek: I was disappointed when I went shopping in hopes of a cheap temporary OHS replacement seat for Grandma after I found this place -- so we settled instead on the Husky so it would last us (even though kiddo was reverted back to RF in my vehicle).

OHS have caused facial fractures in infants, though, too & yet it seems that everyone who uses them does so against the manuals: uses them RF with very tiny infants ... then turn them FF too soon + use beyond the weight limit.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Julie, I'll have to look at the new ones. They actually don't have a lot of them here, not at Target where I go anyways. lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC