J Unbuckling Chest Clip

Jonah Baby

This kid is too smart. He is sneeky. He is quiet as a mouse.
Putting scratchy velcro on the chest clip just ain't gonna cut it.
We have tried discipline techniques. He just doesn't give a rats ass.

He does it when he thinks his harness is too tight.
He does it when we arrive somewhere that he thinks he should be getting out.
He does it in drive-through lines.
He does it when he's angry at us for an unrelated-to-carseat reason.
He does it just because.

Even with the harness as tight as I could ever put it on him, when the clip is un-done, he can sneak his arms out. He hasn't done this too often, but I fear that it will be increasing as well.

I need creativity here.
I don't think I can safely attach a mirror in the backseat because I don't have real headrests. I feel he is safer RFing with an un-done clip than FFing with a done-up clip.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I feel he is safer RFing with an un-done clip than FFing with a done-up clip.

If he's not taking his arms out of the harness, I would tend to agree with you. I'm not a tech, though. If he makes a habit out of taking his arms out, I think I'd turn him and crack hard on the discipline until the phase has passed.

And, apparently I need to tell you to get back to sewing. :whistle:

Wiggles

I'd think he'd be safer rear-facing with an undone chest clip. Because what's to stop him from sneaking out of the harness forward facing? It only takes a split second for you to crash and you can't be watching him every single second. I'd think that, if he's sneaking out of the harness rear-facing, he'd do it forward facing too, only if you get into a crash with him rear-facing, he's at least partially contained (between seat back and carseat) and the carseat itself will help absorb impact. I'd think if he was forward facing, he'd just be thrown right out of the seat!

Not a tech, though, but that's my thought process.

lil.miss32

I'd think he'd be safer rear-facing with an undone chest clip. Because what's to stop him from sneaking out of the harness forward facing? It only takes a split second for you to crash and you can't be watching him every single second. I'd think that, if he's sneaking out of the harness rear-facing, he'd do it forward facing too, only if you get into a crash with him rear-facing, he's at least partially contained (between seat back and carseat) and the carseat itself will help absorb impact. I'd think if he was forward facing, he'd just be thrown right out of the seat!

Not a tech, though, but that's my thought process.

My thoughts... Not a tech, tho.

And get back to sewing? :whistle:

babyherder

Sew his sleeves to the slides of the seat cover? He could get out of his shirt but he'll have to figure out this extra step so it should slow him down a little

Maedze

Put him in a light weight long sleeved button up. Secure his harness as usual, but button his shirt up OVER the harness rather than under it.

Jonah Baby

Oh yea, snaps are no trouble for him.

This is the kid that can scale then descend on the opposite side of 6' chain link fences butt naked in under 15 seconds.
Sometimes we have to leash him in parking lots. If you blink, he'll be inside someone elses car.

xxluckychicxx

Did you steal my kid and rename him?

Jackson has been loosening his while I'm driving :rolleyes: "Its too tight Mama!" as he leans forward and gets an extra 15inches of slack in the harness :mad:

mrs_teeee67

I feel your pain. Out of four kids, I had one escape artist, I kept tightening the straps. It was SCARY how much I could tighten them and she could still wriggle out. I just kept on tightening until she got fed up with the power struggle. I kept thinking she was going to have marks on her from the tight straps lol

lil.miss32

Out of curiosity, would it at all be unsafe to have a big jacket or shirt that she put on backwards and zipped/ buttoned behind the seat?? (Straight jacket, but he can move his arms...)

Pixels

Out of curiosity, would it at all be unsafe to have a big jacket or shirt that she put on backwards and zipped/ buttoned behind the seat?? (Straight jacket, but he can move his arms...)

Not unsafe, as long as it's not puffy-big. Just incredibly difficult to actually accomplish. The only way I think it could work is loosen the harness, buckle crotch strap and chest clip, put shirt on backwards and button/zip with child leaning forward, then tighten harness. Not a feat that I'd like to attempt without a cooperative child.

Oh wait, I just re-read. Did you mean behind the child inside the seat, or behind the whole carseat? I don't think you could do behind the whole carseat at all, because you wouldn't be able to get the seat installed.

Jonah Baby

Not unsafe, as long as it's not puffy-big. Just incredibly difficult to actually accomplish. The only way I think it could work is loosen the harness, buckle crotch strap and chest clip, put shirt on backwards and button/zip with child leaning forward, then tighten harness. Not a feat that I'd like to attempt without a cooperative child.

Oh wait, I just re-read. Did you mean behind the child inside the seat, or behind the whole carseat? I don't think you could do behind the whole carseat at all, because you wouldn't be able to get the seat installed.

This seat is RFing, so getting the coat around is no issue...but getting a coat that big and not sweltering hot might be.
We have some button-up summer shirts. Maybe I'll try that.

lil.miss32

This seat is RFing, so getting the coat around is no issue...but getting a coat that big and not sweltering hot might be.
We have some button-up summer shirts. Maybe I'll try that.

Glad you understood what I meant. :D

I did mean RFing, and even something like an XXL might work? (We have a Radian, so I'm not sure what size shirt you'd need for your seat. LOL.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC