UPS damaged my Radian AGAIN

AliciaM

CPS Technician
Well, I'm beyond furious. A couple weeks ago I ordered two Radians from an online retailer. One arrived fine and one of them arrived damaged. There was a dent in the metal bar on one side. I called the company I purchased it from and they were happy to send me a replacement. Replacement arrived today and it, too, has a dent in the frame. :mad: This time I called SKJP to ask them if it actually rendered the seat useless or not and they requested that I email pictures for them to inspect, so I've done that and am waiting on a response.

Has anyone else had this happen? It has happened twice in a row so I would venture a guess that it's pretty common. Or maybe most consumers just don't notice? I don't know, but it makes me MAD.

4583185956_1989f6b912.jpg

4582557175_ca1b38fdac_b.jpg

ADS

sirrahn

Mine has a tiny little dent on one side as well. I didn't notice it until after I'd had the seat a while and had taken it on an airplane trip so I'm not sure exactly when it happened. Honestly, it never even occurred to me that it could be a problem.

skitle1802

If SKJP comes back saying its okay, it would still bug me because I bought it NEW and therefore should be flawless until I mess it up. Right?
Hope they get back to you fast, I know the wait would kill me!

AliciaM

CPS Technician
How damaged was the box?

It was pretty smooshed. But definitely not the worst I've seen. No giant holes in it or anything.

If SKJP comes back saying its okay, it would still bug me because I bought it NEW and therefore should be flawless until I mess it up. Right?
Hope they get back to you fast, I know the wait would kill me!

Yes, this is what bugs me. Plus I know every time I see the dent it will drive me insane.

AliciaM

CPS Technician
Mine has a tiny little dent on one side as well. I didn't notice it until after I'd had the seat a while and had taken it on an airplane trip so I'm not sure exactly when it happened. Honestly, it never even occurred to me that it could be a problem.

I honestly didn't know if it was a problem or not. The first time it happened I posted in the tech forum and got two responses, both said they would send it back. I honestly didn't think it would happen again. Maybe it really doesn't make a difference but it seems similar to having a stress fracture in plastic so I had to ask.

scariestone

Could you have the retailer send a replacement via fedex or a local courier if there's one near you? I've had so many problems with ups damaging my packages so I was very glad when I looked at the tracking for our xtsl from diapers.com and saw it was a courier service called ontrac.

AliciaM

CPS Technician
Could you have the retailer send a replacement via fedex or a local courier if there's one near you? I've had so many problems with ups damaging my packages so I was very glad when I looked at the tracking for our xtsl from diapers.com and saw it was a courier service called ontrac.

I don't know. At this point if I have to send it back I will probably order from someone else or just buy it from a brick and mortar because I NEED the seat!

njmommy

I wouldnt assume its UPS damaging the seat. couldnt it also be happening during shipment to the retailer or in the retailer's factory?

Most carseats are shipped right in their original box, so the handlers/drivers can clearly see its a carseat. My husband is a driver and they have specific protocol on how to handle certain packages. Im sure not everyone follows that exactly but since it happened twice now, I would think it could be the seller.

AliciaM

CPS Technician
I wouldnt assume its UPS damaging the seat. couldnt it also be happening during shipment to the retailer or in the retailer's factory?

Most carseats are shipped right in their original box, so the handlers/drivers can clearly see its a carseat. My husband is a driver and they have specific protocol on how to handle certain packages. Im sure not everyone follows that exactly but since it happened twice now, I would think it could be the seller.

I did consider that. I suppose there's really no way to know for sure. I definitely won't be asking for another from this seller though.

ntrenary

I've ordered quite a few carseats online and UPS or Fedex has never delivered one in bad shape. The boxes are always in good shape w/ no holes or anything alarming. I wonder if I've just had good luck so far (knock on wood) or if it's the store your ordering from.

Ltaylor

This !

I have NEVER had baby equipment come damaged from either UPS or FedEx and most of DDs stuff has come via one of them.

Our old neighbor was a driver for FedEx and he said that they cannot for any reason stack anything on clearly marked baby equipment.
And they have to inspect the boxes before they load them on the truck. If there is any damage to the box they are supposed to mark that it was there before being loaded on the truck. If there is any damage to the box after being loaded, they are supposed to mark it as well. (not that all of them do)

DDs Frontier85 was delivered via FedEx this past weekend and the box was in perfect condition and the delivey guy was very careful with it when he unloaded it and brought it to the door.

AliciaM

CPS Technician
Well, I've never had anything come damaged before now either. I have bought a LOT of stuff. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. *shrug*

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Because he's been known to give information that is untrue and incorrect. He has told parents that it's safe to use their seats after a crash, which is against the manual's policy. He has told parents that if it was his kid, he'd be fine rear-facing beyond the given limit. He's said many other things, and thinks his seats can do just about as much as God, apparently.

AliciaM

CPS Technician
Wow.. yeah, I haven't been around long enough to know all this juicy info :)

I am torn. On one hand the dent is so small that I can't imagine it would really affect performance. sirrahn mentioned her seat has one as well, which leads me to believe it doesn't take much for it to happen. On the other hand the anal CPST in me says nothing less than perfect is acceptable.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It may be fine to use. It may not. Without seeing in person I really don't know that I could decide. I would return it to the retailer and buy from somewhere else.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC