Has anyone ever used . . .

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Cloth diapers that you fold yourself and use pins? (Sorry can't think of what these would be called!) The little girl I baby sit uses these and I was wondering if anyone has used these if you could show me the proper way to pin them!? The mom folds them for me, so I just put them on. Here is how I put them on:
I put the diaper under her, pull it up from between her legs and then pull the side tabs (?) around the front and pin with the head of the pin pointing to the outside of her body, then repeat on the other side and cover with rubber pants (that the mom provides). Am I doing this right? Is there something I should be doing different?

ADS

Lea_Ontario

Is it a prefold (it'll be stitched into thirds with a thicker middle part)?
Or a flat (just a large square of a single layer of fabric)?

I use prefolds on Bear 90% of the time. Usually with a Snappi, but sometimes with pins.

I don't care for flats though - never got the hang of folding them.

Splash

I've done prefolds and flats. Flats are HARD CORE cloth diapering. I do them occasionally because once in a while it's fun to do something completely impossible. I really doubt that's what you have, though. I've yet to meet a single person who uses flats regularly, especially making a baby sitter use them!
Is this what you're talking about? http://www.diaperware.com/picturepages/flatfolding.htm

I would ask the mom who she does it, and just do it that way for now. Eventually you'll figure out your own tricks and style.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I've done prefolds and flats. Flats are HARD CORE cloth diapering. I do them occasionally because once in a while it's fun to do something completely impossible. I really doubt that's what you have, though. I've yet to meet a single person who uses flats regularly, especially making a baby sitter use them!
Is this what you're talking about? http://www.diaperware.com/picturepages/flatfolding.htm

I would ask the mom who she does it, and just do it that way for now. Eventually you'll figure out your own tricks and style.

Yes this is what she uses! She folds before hand and then rolls them up to put in her bag.
This is what it looks like when I am done
ff10.jpg

And I put the pins on with the head of the pin pointing towards the outer part of her body. Her mom puts the wings under the front part, and then has the pins both facing towards one side of the body. I remember my mom saying (for my little brothers who are 10yrs younger then me) that the pins should face away from the baby. So is there any "right" way or maybe a safer way to put a pin on the diaper?

Lea_Ontario

As long as you're using locking-head pins (read diaper pins) and not normal safety pins, it really doesn't matter. Especially with a cover on - they aren't coming undone.

Splash

Yeah, it's a matter of preference. Mine normally face the same way, just because it's easier. As long as the pins are locked, you're probably fine.

WOW! I didn't know there were still people who used flats on a regular basis! I know one person who used them for a few months, because it was all she could afford. You can diaper a child from birth through potty training for a hundred bucks with those things!

LuvBug

we used flats almost on a regular basis with DS when it was warm. They are a lot easier to achieve a better fit with because you can adjust the rise and waist without causing a lot of bulk. For a while DS needed toddler prefolds for the waist but the rise was too long and bulky when folded. I would fold the flats and work an insert into the fold for more absorbancy. Sometimes I would fold a flat into a small rectangle and use it as an insert. That was when he was really young though and didnt pee a lot at once. Once he became a heavy wetter(the summer before he potty trained) we couldnt do flats at all except just as a bathing suit alternative when playing in the back yard.
aaaaaa, I had so much fun with them... no wonder I never wanted to stop lol!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Cool... I may try some flats with the next baby. I always tried using pins with the prefolds - maybe that was the problem: it's impossible! I was using so much force that I was afraid that I could jab the pin through my son... So I gave up and just used the wraps rather than pull-ups. I know some folks say to rub the pin on a bar of soap first, but - I wanted something quick and easy, plus I tried that and it didn't help so much... Is it easier to pin flats?

LuvBug

You may not have had the right pins, they may have been dull. I always kept mine stuck in a bar of soap like you do straight pins in a sewing cushoin.

There is also this invention called the snappi. i really loved it. but you are as likely to draw blood with it as pins(usually you catch yourself though and not the kid).
Also I dont know if they still exist or not but back when DS was about 1 there were these things that were a snappi alternative and looked like, well its hard to describe but sort of like tiny clothespins. Anyway I dont know if they worked but they were interesting lol!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
There is also this invention called the snappi. i really loved it. but you are as likely to draw blood with it as pins(usually you catch yourself though and not the kid).
Also I dont know if they still exist or not but back when DS was about 1 there were these things that were a snappi alternative and looked like, well its hard to describe but sort of like tiny clothespins. Anyway I dont know if they worked but they were interesting lol!

We tried the Snappi - I hated it...! I just felt that it was going to rip Nolan's skin to shreds - or his privates :eek: ... He did get scratched from it once and then that was it.

Don't know about that other thing you mentioned, though I'd love to see what it looks like! I really like prefolds with a wool wrap, so we'll stick to that if there's another baby in our family. But I'd be interested in trying flats with pins on days around the house when there's no need for a cover.

LuvBug

I cut off the 3rd leg to our snappis so I didnt have to worry about it getting him. If it was on tight then I never had to worry about it with him(not that I ever left him alone with it either, not after the strangling warning... which is another reason I cut the 3rd leg off. It gets caught on things and somehow a child's diaper ended up around his/her neck and was sorta choking him/her).

Ill see if I can try to google it, but probably wont have much luck.

didymama

wow another flats user. i just got into them. you don't have to do origami fold any more. just fold in falf long way, then again and again and lay in cover like a prefold. very quick and easy. you might tell the mom this to save her some effort. i totally understand why people use them-THEY DRY IN A SNAP! additional savings because of less dryer time.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
i totally understand why people use them-THEY DRY IN A SNAP! additional savings because of less dryer time.

That's the other reason I wanted to try them! I've heard they dry sooo much more quickly than prefolds. Since I already have a stash of prefolds, I may have to just keep them if there's another baby rather than buying flats if they're expensive. What's the cost of a couple dozen flats? Do you get the birdseye weave or what?

Thanks!!!

Splash

Oh I have flats and use them... for stuffing pockets, for doublers, etc. I just would not fold and pin them on a regular basis! That is a LOT of unnecessary work! Although if I lived out on a farm with no washer and dryer, and was home all day, I probably would. Easy to hand wash and line dry... nah, I'd still do pockets and MF towels.

Splash

Oh, I get mine at greenmountaindiapers.com. I think it's like 8 bucks for a dozen, but not completely sure. Birdseye weave, yes.

Simplysomething

What does that mean, birdseye weave? I saw some of those gerber ones and it said "birdseye weave" and I never noticed it before yesterday.

I was in that aisle at walmart, looking at the training pants. Is it just me, or are the gerber trainers not as thick as they were even 4 years ago? (I want to get the ones that have the vinyl outside and cloth inside. I had them with DS1. I saw someone mention them on my month board..we're NOT actively doing potty stuff now--but I want ! lol)

The packaging on the gerber diapers was different than what I'm used to seeing with the diapers that I've never seen anyone use as an actual diaper...lol. Are they different? lol

It's also likely that I've never paid attention and they are exactly the same.
Okay, the ones I saw yesterday looked like this, and not like the ones that I can't find pics of. lol

I know, I feel like I'm intruding on the cloth diaper threads, but it's very interesting.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Simplysomething, that is too funny! I was just at Walmart yesterday looking at the cloth diapers too! I was just curious as to how much they are and all I could find were the flat diapers.

When I was potty training DS I just bought boy underwear (gitchies) and folded up my diaper liner and stuffed that in there to absorb any accidents :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC