Day one of tech training and.......

dragonfly8

sadly, I am the ONLY ONE that is there by choice. How sad is that?
There must be 20 people registered and present, and every single one of them are there as part of their employment.

I do know alot of the information though, but still had/have a lot to learn.
I am enjoying it though!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd say that's very typical. People who aren't doing this as part of their job often don't have the ability to take a week out of their lives (their job and/or family) to attend a class. Also, a lot of times (at least here) the SafeKids coalitions wait until they have enough interest from agencies before they hold a class, and that often means that there isn't any room for "civilians."

But anyway, I hope you have fun!

dragonfly8

I'd say that's very typical. People who aren't doing this as part of their job often don't have the ability to take a week out of their lives (their job and/or family) to attend a class. Also, a lot of times (at least here) the SafeKids coalitions wait until they have enough interest from agencies before they hold a class, and that often means that there isn't any room for "civilians."

But anyway, I hope you have fun!

Our course is only 2 days, but yes, you're right. I don't work during the week, I am fortunate to be able to stay home with our kids and only work weekends, so I tend to not remember that most people do work during the week!

simplychels

I was the only one in mine that was there by choice as well. And boy could you ever tell they had little to no interest in actually being there :(

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
That's fairly typical with classes run on the weekdays. Participants are usually sent by employers as part of their training.

You get more of 'us' in the classes run on the weekend. Depending on the instructors' schedules, we some have weekend classes offerred over 2 consecutive saturdays and the clinic on the 3rd saturday.

skydancer

I would have loved to take it, but weekdays are hard. I personally can be available, but everyone I know that could babysit all work on weekdays.

Angela

We had a class of 14 and there were 2 of us there by choice. The instructors mentioned to both of us that they could tell that we were there by choice (more interested and caught on faster). Of course hanging around here helped too. :)

AliciaM

CPS Technician
Same with my class. About a dozen firefighters, a couple hospital employees, and then lame me. :eek:

My class was Thurs-Fri and Mon-Tues, though.

cdncasper

When I did mine it was about the same. The rest of the "students" would pick my brain during breaks and the firefighter that was having the most problems wanted to be my partner (nothing wrong with that "drool")

dragonfly8

Why am I stressing over the exam tomorrow?
I know my stuff. Its the provincial regulations.....there's just so much to know!

And I now see why 2 days is not really all that long, we covered a ton today but reading through my binder, there is alot we didn't cover either. I should stop reading, I'm tired so none of it is really absorbing........I'm sure it will all be fine.
And yes, I've had a couple of people asking me my "thoughts" on certain seats and "rules".......guess being a mom with 4 kids, many different types of carseats, has it's benefits.

OK, off to bed or I'll yawn my way through tomorrow!

sparkyd

Same with my class. About a dozen firefighters, a couple hospital employees, and then lame me. :eek:

AliciaM, this has absolutely nothing to do with your post and is completely off-topic, but oh my goodness that picture in your siggy is insanely adorable. Seriously. Sunshine Kids should use that picture in their ads. Love it.

Twinklefae

When I took mine, I was really lucky - it was a weekend class and we were all there just because we were interested. It kind of caught the instructor off guard, and we were able to have a lot of interesting 'extra' conversations because she didn't have to explain what a tether strap was - we could get right to discussing the laws and rf'ing tethering.

JennG

We had a few car seat nuts, and RCMP officer, a social worker, pre school director... a little bit of everything. :)

Good luck with the exam. A lot of the right answers just make sense. :D

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Same with my class. Most of it was made up of BRU employees. I did sit beside the only other person there who was taking it for personal reasons. We got along swimmingly. :D

But I must say the BRU employees were very interested in learning. One was a mother of a very small 8 yr old who was not in a booster now and rode in the front seat. She just didn't know that this was not safe and promptly went home and re-boostered him. And the others were shocked that the store sold all of the after market things that they had previously pushed to the customers. They really went away with great knowledge and were fun to be with!:thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC