Safe Kids frustration

steph_s

So I called a local safe kids to get information if they had any lower priced infant seats. My friend and her dh are expecting (they used 2 kind of bc so VERY unexpected) and dh is laid off and her job just cut their hours. They have no money for a new car as their last one was totaled and at the time they needed the money they got for that car to catch up on bills. Anyways they drive a small truck with a very small back seat. Their 6yo is in a turbo back there and there is barely room for her so no infant seat will fit. They decided to put the infant seat in the front and mom or dad will ride in the back with 6yo.

Anyways, Safe Kids told me that they only have Evenflo infant seats (because that is who got them the best deal) and there is a discount if you are on WIC (which she is). The problem? There is NO way an Evenflo infant seat will fit in their truck with their stupid handle rule! They will need something where the handle stays up in order to get it to fit. The lady from safe kids told me "we have spoke to evenflo and they said that it's ok to not have the clearance in front of the handle and that the handle can be touching the seat in front of it or the dash board" :eek::eek::eek: I asked what about the handle being up because there is no way an infant seat will fit without the handle being up. She said "it is fine". When I pushed and said that both of those things are against manufacturers instructions she just repeated what she said again and again. I don't see how a tech at safe kids can tell someone to go against 2 manufacturers instructions on a seat.

I asked if they had convertible seats that fit newborns for sale there and was told "we have the evenflo tribune it's rated to 5lbs" I asked if the slots were low enough for an infant and was told "sure that is why it's rated so low" Ummmm those slots are high! It would take a huge baby to fit in it.

I am so disappointed and honestly scared to tell anyone to go there to get their seats checked out if this is the information they are giving!

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
it. The lady from safe kids told me "we have spoke to evenflo and they said that it's ok to not have the clearance in front of the handle and that the handle can be touching the seat in front of it or the dash board" I asked what about the handle being up because there is no way an infant seat will fit without the handle being up. She said "it is fine". When I pushed and said that both of those things are against manufacturers instructions she just repeated what she said again and again. I don't see how a tech at safe kids can tell someone to go against 2 manufacturers instructions on a seat.

I'm honestly surprised to hear that, because I worked with a couple of the top people at your Safe Kids group at a seat check a few weeks ago, and they seemed really on the ball. :confused: :(

Last edited:

crunchierthanthou

I'd go for a convertible instead. They often take up less room than a bucket (especially with the Evenflo handle shape and rules), and last much longer. I'm actually surprised they have infant seats at all. Our coalition almost never does.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Do you mean the Tribute? IIRC the slots are comparable to the 22# Snugride. Not all babies fit in it, but it's not completely outrageous to offer it as an infant seat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, the Tribute has very low bottom slots, I don't think there's a problem with that one for infants. If it had slits in the cover at the RF belt path, it'd be so easy to take in and out of the car, too (most seats used to have those, now only Britaxes do :( )
Bummer about all the other poor information, though. Ultimately my anger is aimed at Evenflo for making infant seats that are nearly impossible to use correctly and foisting them on people who can't afford better seats.

Pixels

cough *TrueFit* cough

A Scenera is probably the best bet in this situation, for the parents.

As for the SK person, ask if they have official documentation from the manufacturer. Or go down there in person and call Evenflo on speakerphone with them, and ask Evenflo to provide documentation. Point out the liability aspect if it takes that.

steph_s

I went and got an onboard at Target for $70- gift card I got for xmas- gift card I had from purchasing the turbo earlier this year- discount because the box was opened (tags still attached looked just opened like someone was looking at the color of the seat or something?? and nothing moved around in the box)= $26 so they are set now. I'm just REALLY frustrated that they would have anyone use a seat against manufacturers instructions!

Jonah Baby

I recently had quite the not-so-great experience with SafeKids up here. It was another situation where they didn't really seem like they knew best practices or anything about specific seats, etc.
If I had the money, I'd go get certified myself to tip the balance of well-researched Techs and couldn't-care-much Techs.

Maedze

I recently had quite the not-so-great experience with SafeKids up here. It was another situation where they didn't really seem like they knew best practices or anything about specific seats, etc.
If I had the money, I'd go get certified myself to tip the balance of well-researched Techs and couldn't-care-much Techs.

I can assure you that the technicians here are extremely well-researched and well-informed. I had a chance to talk to the director about the scenario you described here :)

lil.miss32

I had a tech tell me that A: I couldn't rearface my (at the time) 16 month old, 25lb child because the RADIAN only rearfaced to 20lbs and one year... and B: that you could NEVER tether a RFing carseat... :confused:

I showed him the manual and he says it must be a typo.

I will NOT base my SafeKids Tech experience on this ONE man...

jeminijad

This is why I am not taking DH to a check for our seats, and am waiting till I can manage it alone. I already have to fight him on some car seat topics, and if we randomly get a less competant tech, how will I be able to overrule that??

Pixels

This is why I am not taking DH to a check for our seats, and am waiting till I can manage it alone. I already have to fight him on some car seat topics, and if we randomly get a less competant tech, how will I be able to overrule that??

Take him to a c-s.o tech. :whistle: Greatly reduces your chances of incompetency, IMO.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Take him to a c-s.o tech. :whistle: Greatly reduces your chances of incompetency, IMO.

:yeahthat:

I would arrange a private check with someone you know knows their stuff. When I got my van checked, it was two three-acrosses, with four (E)RFers, and several unusual seats. I arranged a private check with a couple of awesome techs :) since I knew they wouldn't try to convince me I was nutso. I didn't want to imagine the face on a poor police officer or whomever when I pulled up with that van, lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC