Busing infants and toddlers

Katy

Our local ECFE group is taking a field trip to the science museum 1hr away from here. All the kids are going to be under 5. I think we most are in the 1-3yr range but I know of a few babies and Pre k's. The program is paying for the bus and wants a roster list. IF we get the bus we want there would be 4 seatblets, but that is not set yet and certainly not enough for all the kids. The director kept saying that it is perfectly safe to transport them all this way. I'm thinking for kids under 5 on a bus ride that long NO WAY! Problem is that if I drive separate alot of other moms will too (knowing that I'm a big carseat safety advocate) The Director thinks if too many drive separate the school will not them use a bus therefor a few families will not be able to attend the outing due to transportation and fuel costs. We've talked about carpooling for the families in need but the combinations wouldn't work since many of us already have 2 or 3 children in cars and suv's.

What do I do?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think a carpool should be worked out, or a bus should be obtained that has seatbelts in every position to install seats. Another option might be renting large passenger vans instead.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My 2.5 yr old dd's daycare just had a field trip on big school buses for these kids and those up to the SK age. Although it's perfectly legal, but there is just no way safe. I didn't consent for dd to go on the field trip on the big (bad) bus :) Surprisingly, she was the only one that had to hang back and spent the day with the administrator when the whole daycare went. Crazy!

When dd#1 was in a pre-school, carpooling was arranged for volunteer and parents on duty that day to drive the kids with carseats. But they took care of not boooking anything too far or would not be interested enough to have enough drivers. But then there the issue of liability on drivers so eventually the whole field trips were just either by buses arranged by the school or by parents driving their own kids, if they didn't ride the bus.

Katy

I drove seperatly. I also took my suburban and drove another family with small children. There must have been at least 10-15 kids under 5 riding the bus that day.

Jennifer mom to my 7

My 2.5 yr old dd's daycare just had a field trip on big school buses for these kids and those up to the SK age. Although it's perfectly legal, but there is just no way safe. I didn't consent for dd to go on the field trip on the big (bad) bus :) Surprisingly, she was the only one that had to hang back and spent the day with the administrator when the whole daycare went. Crazy!

When dd#1 was in a pre-school, carpooling was arranged for volunteer and parents on duty that day to drive the kids with carseats. But they took care of not boooking anything too far or would not be interested enough to have enough drivers. But then there the issue of liability on drivers so eventually the whole field trips were just either by buses arranged by the school or by parents driving their own kids, if they didn't ride the bus.

You know, in NY state, it is illegal to transport a child under 4 in a school bus without a harnessed child restraint. And the school buses have lap belts:) Kecia had a blog post about it (the lap belts in school buses).

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You know, in NY state, it is illegal to transport a child under 4 in a school bus without a harnessed child restraint. And the school buses have lap belts:) Kecia had a blog post about it (the lap belts in school buses).

We are in Ontario, Canada and amazingly how much exemptions there are for taxis, limos, school buses, etc. And there is some noise about new buses with built-in harnesses but the existing fleets have not replaced buses with new ones yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC