Booster Question (and SS1)

jmm3

I haven't posted much here, but just wanted to say thanks for all the great info I have learned.

I have a question about my ds's high back booster. Up until now he has been in one of the captain's chairs of our minivan, but we just had our 3rd child, so I was going to move him to the 3rd row. I was thinking I would put him in the center since it seems safer, but I had a few questions about that. First, the belt comes from the ceiling and buckles into a buckle on the seat, then you pull it across and buckle it the regular way (I hope someone understands what I'm talking about, not sure how to describe it). This kind of belt is acceptable to use for a booster right? I looked in the car manual, and it did say that you can use it to install a carseat, but I just wanted to make sure a booster was okay too.

Also, the center position is narrower then the outboard seats, so the booster is a little wider than the area between the belts. So, the belt has to go out and around the booster. I wasn't sure if that was okay, so I just put the seat outboard for now.

One more unrelated question, about the SS1 I have for my new daughter. We had an older SnugRide for our older 2 kids, and we had to put the handle down in the car. I thought I read on here that you can leave the handle up on the SS1, but couldn't find it when I quickly scanned the manual this morning. Can I leave the handle up? It doesn't really matter, since we have plently of room to put it down, but just thought I'd check in case I forget sometime.

Thanks! :)

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Honda Odyssey? We have that same middle rear belt, and it's fine with a booster, BUT, it's pretty hard to do.
Yes, you can leave the handle up on the Safeseat, it's 'postion A' (b and c aren't ok, and d and e are ok, if you read your manual looking for that info, you should find it...it's not terribly clear).

:)

jmm3

Thanks! It's actually a Nissan Quest, but I really like the Odysseys too. Maybe I'll see if he can buckle himself okay there, if not we'll probably go outboard. It has curtain airbags, and I feel like it's pretty safe to be outboard.

Thanks for the SS1 info, I saw that position b and c weren't okay, so it's good to confirm that a is okay.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, ok, yeah, the Quest is great... my friend's husband was in a *high* speed side impact crash...and airbags deployed all over the place, not just on his side, and he walked away from it, though the car was totalled. :eek:

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Just so you can look, the handle positions are on page 16 in your manual. :) HTH and what I am reading, and as I remember only position B is not acceptable in the car.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
but what I am reading is different from what you are saying....:confused:

Whoops...only 4 positions, not 5. Ok, so straight up A is good, B is kind of angled, still above seat, that's NOT ok in the car. C is even with the seat shell, that's OK, D is behind/lower than the shell, and that's OK.

Just B is a no-no in the car, then

http://www.gracobaby.com/assets/pdfs/instructions/ISPC065BA.pdf

(well, it's time to take a break when the Snugride and Safeseat manuals become just a blur in your mind, huh? :eek: :rolleyes: )

:)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Julie I thought they were the same too till emandbri pointed it out one day (when I tried to yell at her, lol). I thought it was dumb to give one 4 positions and one 5.

Splash

I thought it was dumb to give one 4 positions and one 5.

I think it's dumb to even give it four! Straight up, straight back, straight down. Why do we need a "northeast" setting on the handle? Who ever uses position b for anything? And the snugride has FIVE? Geez!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think it's dumb to even give it four! Straight up, straight back, straight down. Why do we need a "northeast" setting on the handle? Who ever uses position b for anything? And the snugride has FIVE? Geez!

But those are the conveeeeeeeeenience positions... parents can't live without them! (juuuust kidding... yeah, the old A B C handle was best, no muss, no fuss)

Dillipop

They have to throw in B for the convenience of silly DH's that don't realize the seat can't be carried with the handle in that position and Mommy gets to freak out that baby will fall out of the bottom of the seat, even though his straps are tight, or that the handle will fall off while being carried that way. That's why there is a B position, don't you know?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC