Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Community Member

Booster Question (and SS1)

I haven't posted much here, but just wanted to say thanks for all the great info I have learned.

I have a question about my ds's high back booster. Up until now he has been in one of the captain's chairs of our minivan, but we just had our 3rd child, so I was going to move him to the 3rd row. I was thinking I would put him in the center since it seems safer, but I had a few questions about that. First, the belt comes from the ceiling and buckles into a buckle on the seat, then you pull it across and buckle it the regular way (I hope someone understands what I'm talking about, not sure how to describe it). This kind of belt is acceptable to use for a booster right? I looked in the car manual, and it did say that you can use it to install a carseat, but I just wanted to make sure a booster was okay too.

Also, the center position is narrower then the outboard seats, so the booster is a little wider than the area between the belts. So, the belt has to go out and around the booster. I wasn't sure if that was okay, so I just put the seat outboard for now.

One more unrelated question, about the SS1 I have for my new daughter. We had an older SnugRide for our older 2 kids, and we had to put the handle down in the car. I thought I read on here that you can leave the handle up on the SS1, but couldn't find it when I quickly scanned the manual this morning. Can I leave the handle up? It doesn't really matter, since we have plently of room to put it down, but just thought I'd check in case I forget sometime.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: Booster Question (and SS1)

Honda Odyssey? We have that same middle rear belt, and it's fine with a booster, BUT, it's pretty hard to do.
    Yes, you can leave the handle up on the Safeseat, it's 'postion A' (b and c aren't ok, and d and e are ok, if you read your manual looking for that info, you should find it...it's not terribly clear).

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Senior Community Member

Thanks! It's actually a Nissan Quest, but I really like the Odysseys too. Maybe I'll see if he can buckle himself okay there, if not we'll probably go outboard. It has curtain airbags, and I feel like it's pretty safe to be outboard.

Thanks for the SS1 info, I saw that position b and c weren't okay, so it's good to confirm that a is okay.

LOL, ok, yeah, the Quest is great... my friend's husband was in a *high* speed side impact crash...and airbags deployed all over the place, not just on his side, and he walked away from it, though the car was totalled.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

CPS Technician

Just so you can look, the handle positions are on page 16 in your manual. HTH and what I am reading, and as I remember only position B is not acceptable in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by rlsadc View Post
    Just so you can look, the handle positions are on page 16 in your manual. HTH

I really need to find my manual... thanks!
    Julie

CPS Technician

but what I am reading is different from what you are saying....

Quote Originally Posted by rlsadc View Post
    but what I am reading is different from what you are saying....

Whoops...only 4 positions, not 5. Ok, so straight up A is good, B is kind of angled, still above seat, that's NOT ok in the car. C is even with the seat shell, that's OK, D is behind/lower than the shell, and that's OK.

Just B is a no-no in the car, then

http://www.gracobaby.com/assets/pdfs.../ISPC065BA.pdf

(well, it's time to take a break when the Snugride and Safeseat manuals become just a blur in your mind, huh? )

Julie

CPS Technician

lol...id say so i just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something.

CPS Technician

Julie I thought they were the same too till emandbri pointed it out one day (when I tried to yell at her, lol). I thought it was dumb to give one 4 positions and one 5.
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

Quote Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
    I thought it was dumb to give one 4 positions and one 5.

I think it's dumb to even give it four! Straight up, straight back, straight down. Why do we need a "northeast" setting on the handle? Who ever uses position b for anything? And the snugride has FIVE? Geez!

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    I think it's dumb to even give it four! Straight up, straight back, straight down. Why do we need a "northeast" setting on the handle? Who ever uses position b for anything? And the snugride has FIVE? Geez!

But those are the conveeeeeeeeenience positions... parents can't live without them! (juuuust kidding... yeah, the old A B C handle was best, no muss, no fuss)
    Julie

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

They have to throw in B for the convenience of silly DH's that don't realize the seat can't be carried with the handle in that position and Mommy gets to freak out that baby will fall out of the bottom of the seat, even though his straps are tight, or that the handle will fall off while being carried that way. That's why there is a B position, don't you know?

CCO 4/15