Cloth Diapering Mama's - I need some help!

mommy2jana

I purchased 2 Happy Heiny's to use on my dd (3.5 yrs). She has been wetting her pullups 5 nights out of the week, and they were giving her a rash whether she was wetting them or not, so I decided to take the plunge into cloth. The first night it worked great - Happy Heiny pocket diaper stuffed with two microfiber inserts. Last night we did the same, except the inserts were 1 Swaddlebees Hemp insert and one microfiber insert. She woke up at 2 am and her side was wet. She's mainly a side sleeper. So, she went to the potty and we put on a disposable pull up. She woke up this morning with that wet, too.

She used to be "nighttime trained", but then regressed when we moved. The wetting at night has gotten progressively worse over the past couple of weeks. I was tired of this rash she was getting from the pull ups, so we switched to cloth - which has worked as far as the rash goes. I just don't know how to keep her dry! Is there a cloth diaper that works better than others for side sleepers? Or is there somthing I'm not doing right? :confused:

Thanks!!!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We had good luck with Mother Of Eden Overnight Undies, or just extra/large fuzzi bunz (so much easier to stuff than the unsnappable HH's, too). I read lots of great reviews about Nap-EZ pullups (www.snap-ez.com), but maybe just a wider insert would catch pees better? Like the HH hemps that are wide and contoured? or a square 15 by 15 microfiber towel folded up to fit?

Also, my dd still has accidents sometimes (she's 7, just finally quit wearing pullups at night a couple months ago...) and a huge double beach towel in her bed really absorbs a lot of leakage and is really easy to throw in the wash in the morning if needed (just a tip...I got sick to death of washing sheets, lol).

:)

Splash

Swaddlebees inserts are SUPER narrow, so it probably just didn't hit the insert. I wouldn't use the SB inserts in a HH diaper. The insert is just too small.
The HH will work fine for her once you find the right thing to stuff it with!

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Splash is probably right. The Swaddlebees inserts are so much narrower than others. I love the Nap-EZ (Snap-EZ) diapers and trainers. They are my favorite of any diapers/trainers I've tried and their inserts, although expensive, hold a ton!

mommy2jana

The main reason I went with HH is because of the aplix closure...I wanted her to be able to undo herself pretty easily.

She was mainly wet on her hip. I did notice that the Swaddlebee's inserts were smaller than the microfiber inserts that came with the diapers. A friend of mine recommended SB's since they were so similar to JoeyBunz.

The reason I didn't go with a trainer is because I wanted it to be easy to remove when it is wet.

I was told that all microfiber wouldn't hold well for overnight use - that it was better to use a combo of hemp and microfiber. Do you think that maybe just using microfiber would work better for her? She didn't have any leaks the first night with just the microfiber inserts. They seemed to cover much more "surface area" in the pocket....but I don't know if she slept much on her side that night.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
A couple things- if the hemp was new it probably needs washed several times (or boil it) to get the oil out. Make sure the micro is next to the body in the pocket. It absorbs the fastest, put the hemp behind it. You might try the 2 mircos with the hemp.

Since she's a side sleeper you might find that HH just aren't a good fit. Since the fleece rolls out this can cause leakage- esp with side sleepers. Also, just checking, the HH is a solid PUL, not a print. Prints leak!

A trainer like the Nap-EZ (snap-ez.com) pulls up and down like underwear, but has snaps on the sides for quick and mess free taking off if needed. The Nap-EZ is stuffable like a pocket diaper. Ruth also makes AIO trainers, which are best used during the day. You can always email Ruth and chat with her about your needs. She is the BEST- just love her. =)

Lastly, just to add my 2 cents, does your dd see a chiro? It could be she needs adjusted.

HTH! Hang in there! You'll find what works.

Lea_Ontario

The Swaddlebees insert is way too narrow for use in a HH. If she's a side sleeper, her pee likely barely even touched the hemp.

If the two micro inserts is enough, keep using that. Or add a third.

mommy2jana

I did the 4 wash/dry cycles with the hemp inserts like the instructions said to do.

We have the solid color PUL HH - even though the prints were so cute and tempting, I didn't want to chance having leaks.

I don't think I can put anymore than 1 hemp/1 mf or 2 mf and still be able to get the diaper on her. It just seems so thick! She had a huge bubble butt both nights. She was waddling when she was walking. lol

Since she's a side sleeper you might find that HH just aren't a good fit. Since the fleece rolls out this can cause leakage- esp with side sleepers.

You're talking about around her legs, right? She was wet on her hip, around her legs was dry.

Lastly, just to add my 2 cents, does your dd see a chiro? It could be she needs adjusted.

No, she doesn't see a chiro. What would an adjustment help with?

I think tonight I may try the SB insert again, but this time with mf on top, SB on bottom. I searched last night trying to find an answer as to which insert goes where, but was unable to find anything. I had been told that mf is more absorbant and the hemp absorbs fastest...so I put the hemp closest to her. I guess I was misinformed by someone on my birth board, so if she leaks tonight....I think we'll stick to just mf inserts. What mf inserts do you all prefer? Or do you think I should try some hemp prefolds or another brand of hemp inserts? Or maybe I think I just wasted $55 on HH if they may not work since she's a side sleeper! lol

Jumping into cd'ing so late in the game has me totally confused as to what we need!

Just FYI, we only need to use cd's at night. She has been totally daytime trained for almost 14 months now.

Splash

Hemp is more absorbent than microfiber, but takes longer. Since she's older, she's probably peeing a lot at once. Hemp does not absorb quickly, MF does.
I normally do one large LizaJane hemp insert and one trifolded MF towel in his night time diapers, with the MF on top (closer to him). That way the MF soaks it up super quick, but the hemp holds it in. I'm probably going to be ditching all my hemp soon though, and go to all MF. MF is just way easier.
Oh, and I have often done only microfiber overnight, adn never a problem.

mommy2jana

Hemp is more absorbent than microfiber, but takes longer. Since she's older, she's probably peeing a lot at once. Hemp does not absorb quickly, MF does.
I normally do one large LizaJane hemp insert and one trifolded MF towel in his night time diapers, with the MF on top (closer to him). That way the MF soaks it up super quick, but the hemp holds it in. I'm probably going to be ditching all my hemp soon though, and go to all MF. MF is just way easier.
Oh, and I have often done only microfiber overnight, adn never a problem.

Thanks for clarifying that for me, Splash! I knew I should have just come here for info first! There are way more cd'ing mama's over here than on my birth board.

I'm also glad to know that you've used only mf at night and not had any problems!

racesmom

Senior Community Member
I've heard from many chiros/parents that having the spine aligned can help with night time wetting- especially if it's a regression. Zane, almost 3, was having horrid problems with diarrhea every few days for about a month. The chiro adjusted him and it's been MUCH better. If she hasn't been before look for one that's kid friendly.

Night time CD bums can be pretty big. I also put the night time dipe on at the last minute.

GL!

scatterbunny

We got extra large Fuzzi Bunz for Hayley a month or so ago and they work AWESOME. :D Not a single leak, and she wets them every night. I use a wide, long microfiber insert (not even sure what kind it is) and them a quad-folded towel (not sure what it's made of, they were sent to me by a friend). The microfiber insert goes on top, nearest her skin, the folded towel on bottom (within the pocket, of course).

A friend is using Fuzzi Bunz with her 2yo son now, and she said the hemp leaks for her, too. I gave her the tip that Splash gave you, put microfiber on top and hemp on bottom.

lynsgirl

I've heard from many chiros/parents that having the spine aligned can help with night time wetting- especially if it's a regression. Zane, almost 3, was having horrid problems with diarrhea every few days for about a month. The chiro adjusted him and it's been MUCH better. If she hasn't been before look for one that's kid friendly.

Night time CD bums can be pretty big. I also put the night time dipe on at the last minute.

GL!

It can help with more than just night-time wetting, too. Dd was 6 and kept having urgency issues and was going through LOTS of underwear and I didn't know at first that it was an urgency problem. She got an adjustment and one side of her hip and her sacrum were definitely not in place - once it was adjusted, the next day was the first day in a couple of months that she only used one pair of underwear :) . We had I think one more episode of that a couple of weeks later, but she got adjusted right away and it stopped. She hasn't had trouble with that since then (she's 8 now). So I give a thumbs up to your suggestion of a chiropractic visit. My kids all get adjusted and have for several years.

scatterbunny

I've always been skeptical of chiros, but I believe Mark and Hayley's insurance covers chiropractic care, so I may have to look into it. Hayley's got so many "issues" that I've heard can be helped by a good adjustment.

Splash

I was "take it or leave it" on chiropractic up until about a year ago.
At that point (it was actually right at the beginning of January last year) we had been to SO many doctors with Charlie, and no one knew what was wrong with him. A friend of mine suggested her chiropractor, and I gave them a call. I couldn't afford it ($20/visit... at that time, we could *barely* afford his meds, I couldn't throw more bills into it) and she agreed to see him for free, twice a week.
She told me it would get worse before it got better, and three days after his first adjustment, he was in the hospital. But we kept going.

I absolutely 100% believe that she made a tremendous difference in his health. He was going on Monday and Wednesday at that point, and by Sunday he would start to decline, but was fine again by Tuesday. She went away for a week and he was in horrible shape. Even now, he is ALWAYS better after seeing her. And over a year later, she continues to see him for free. I've offered to pay her at this point, now that's we're out of the hole mostly, but she doesn't allow it. He's her major success story, so she likes doing it gratis. She has pictures of him before and after in her office and shows people what a difference it made for him.
It's not the ONLY factor, but I do believe it is one of the most major.

Coincidentally... Charlie should have seen her last Wednesday... he didn't, and ended up in the hospital Friday. Coincidence? Yeah, probably, but anything's possible!

mommy2jana

I'll have to look into Jana's insurance and see if they cover chiro visits.

Jenny - I'm glad to hear you and Hailey like the FuzziBunz. I almost went with those, but chose Happy Heiny's instead because of the velcro. Are the snaps relatively easy to undo for Hailey?

I know her cd'ed bum is going to be big and bubbly, I just think if I stuff it anymore, she's not going to be comfortable and/or it won't fit under her pjs.

Keep your fingers crossed that switching the mf insert and the hemp will work tonight!

Duckieheart

If only MF works- then only use MF. Lots of people dont use hemp for various reasons- hemp will just hold more liquid.
If you're up for experimenting- I would reccomend a cotton babies one size insert. It absorbs more than most inserts- without adding tons of bulk. CB uses a special kind of MF apparently. I dont know- I just know they work the best for most people. I would doubt your leaking is because of the brand. As long as it fits tightly around the leg- I'd blame the insert first. Was it soaked when she leaked?

mommy2jana

The diapers fit tightly around her leg, its the top part of the diaper - right around her waist and hip area that is getting wet.

Yesterday, she was just a little wet on her pj's, and the inserts were pretty wet. This morning, the inserts were wet and her bed was soaked! She leaked around her waist.

I don't understand - Pull Ups aren't absorbant on the sides, so why have we never ran across this problem before? I don't want to give up, but I feel like I'm running out of options! lol

Splash

Is she running out of absorbency? If she's soaking the inserts, then there is nowhere else for the pee to go!

I'd get a few XL Thirsties inserts ($2.50 most places, try abbyslane.com) and try those. Those are very absorbent AND full coverage.

Also, have you dried the pockets on HOT? You need to dry them on hot once or twice to seal all the holes from sewing them together. That might cause a bit of leaking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC