I may have gotten through to someone!

amy919

Yesterday, I was picking my girls up from daycare and there's this dad who's on the same pick up schedule as me. I see him just about every day and he's usually parked right next to me in his cute little blue Mustang. He's got two kids, a 2 and 4 year old. The 2 year old is FF in some sort of Evenflo seat, but the 4 year old is in a booster. She's a small 4, highly doubt she's 40lbs since she's not much bigger than my 4 year old, who only weighs 34lbs.

Yesterday, we were putting the girls in the car and he asked me what kind of car I had. I told him and he mentioned that he was considering trading in his Mustang since it's a pain getting his girls in and out all the time. He looked over as I was putting Kaylie in her seat and said "isn't she too big for that seat. I thought they were supposed to move into a booster when they turned 4". I told him that she had plenty of room in her seat and that it would probably last her another 2 years, at least. I told him briefly about how much better it is to keep them harnessed as long as possible, etc. He was really impresed and appreciative. He said he never felt like his 4 year was safe enough in a booster, especially in a Mustang, but he thought that was the rule. He even said he would be taking a trip this weekend to BRU to find her a harnessed seat.

It felt really good!

ADS

Morganthe

Congrats, that's wonderful news :D

It's really sad when someone honestly believes it's a 'rule' to put a child in the next stage just because the laws are so vague. :(
Too bad the car seat manufacturers can't come up with a public service ad campaign to inform the public that State Laws are compromises set to basic minimum standards, not what is the most safe protection for children.

MySillyKids

What's even cooler, is that since you see him all the time, i bet he feels more "pressure" to do it since you talked to him about it. Cool Deal!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Awesome!!! Good job... :p

I think there should be some sort of ad campaign but not from carseat manufacturers (even though they have the funds to do it). Folks won't trust it then and think that they're just saying that to get more money since 5-pt-harnesses cost more than boosters. It would have to come from elsewhere to be credible...

amy919

It was just amazing to me that he actually believed that at the age of 4, he HAD to put his daughter in a booster. He thought that was the law. The school prints a monthly newsletter that is distributed in all of the schools, nationwide. It's actually very well received. They're always asking for topic suggestions. I'd like to send them an e-mail asking them to do an article about car seat safety, but I'm afraid they'll focus more on the law and less (or not at all) or what really makes sense.

beeman

It's always easier when they're open to suggestions from the beginning. Good job. You could always write the article for the paper so that all the facts are straight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC