New car bed 4.5-35 lbs.

ADS

Wiggles

That's incredible. It will be so helpful for parents/caregivers of severely disabled infants (and even smaller toddlers) who simply can't be sitting yet. The built in straps for medical tubing make it even MORE appealing. I love the different options for how the child can lay. Car beds in the past, that I've seen, have been very wanting in features. This one is feature-rich and I can't wait to see it hit the market. Do we have any indicator of a price point, or did I miss that? (curious as to how it will compare, for hospitals and special needs groups that might want one, to other carbeds)

lil.miss32

The beds scare me with necks snapping... is this a concern?

I do see the head support for older babies, but that doesn't take care of everybody.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
That looks really nice, for a carbed. I am anxious to see it in real life and try it out. I do think they are marketing to the hospital loander programs, with the 10 year lifespan and the new patient kits (replace the insides of the seat between patients for cleanliness/sanitary issues).

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Reminds me of the old car bed, can't remember the name. Looks nicer than the old one though.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Snugseat? There is a picture in the pictorial of carseats. I think Merritt bought the copyright for the old one and then made some great-looking improvements.

Murphy's Law

I was just looking for more information on these to see when they would be out and came upon this thread. Has anyone heard if they are still on target for July? We need them desperately! We have dozens upon dozens of kids who are on the waiting list for one. I plan to pick up a few under our charity foundation and distribute them to the kids who need them who have spinal muscular atrophy.

We have been waiting literally for years for something like this since the snug seats are all expired now. Our kids with SMA are living longer and getting bigger. This is about the only option parents have right not to transport their Type I SMA kids. I hope they will be out soon.

Qarin

Without seeing crash tests or even seeing the restraint up close in person (maybe someone who saw it at the show can say?), my guess is that the side-to-side motion of the child is not strongly limited, so the whole body would move forward (while the restraints keep the child down, inside the seat) and the shock absorbing sides protect- the head wouldn't move very separately from the body, and the whole box acts similarly to a school bus's compartmentalization for larger people, only much more effectively because the body is kept securely down within the extremely padded compartment and is unable to be out of position (unlikely zany elementary school students on the school bus).

The above is my own speculation, can anyone who actually knows comment?

In any case, it seems to me that riding lying down is going to be a safety compromise no matter how you slice it; nobody has ever claimed (that I've seen) that a car bed is safer than a rear-facing infant seat, if the infant can survive/thrive sitting in that seat at all.

soccer_widow

I would call Shane Merritt and ask him. He is a really nice guy and gave me a lot of help and advice when I called him about HDTAs.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Yikes! Who could even buy that? Plus it's ugly. Maybe it'll be a hospital rental deal.

I'm sure no parent WANTS to buy one. However there are MANY parents who NEED one in order to transport their disabled or medically fragile child.

http://www.saferidenews.com/SRNDNN/CPSTsProfessionals/EditorialsfromSafeRideNews/GiveaGiftofHopeforKidsNeedingCarBeds/tabid/232/Default.aspx

Even at $850, plus $195 for additional or large size restraint, $135 for head restraint, and $85 for the leveling wedge (anything labeled "special needs" will have an exorbitant price, in part because there is no mass market for the product), Children's Hospitals and pediatric rehab centers are anxious to have it available for their tiny patients/clients. It's cheaper than an ambulance ride (which may be the only alternative and not particularly safe either).

The seat is definitely designed for function, not esthetics (no "pretty" covers or funky shapes). It will need to be sterilized/sanitized after each loan (and therefore needs to be utilitarian); not to mention the 'bare bones' style keeps cost down.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC