Why would you rear face on a plane?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
When I was told "that kind of seat can only go FF" I just said, "My understanding is that it's my choice which way to install it. I'm willing to comply with your directions, but may I please see where it says that in the manual?" I made eye contact and was polite in tone and smiled my nicest smile. That was all it took. They checked the manual and informed me I was right. :) Just don't be confrontational so you don't get kicked off. ;)

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
It will fit :) Usually the seats have to be a bit more upright than in the car, but for a 2 year old it would not be an issue. I had much more of an issue with my FF 2 yo (in a Radian, where RF on the plane was not an option), like the above poster's picture of serious head slump.

Also, FF'ing Britaxes on airplanes can be a PITA, as you have to flip the buckle or use a belt extender to avoid getting the seat stuck on the plane (BTDT, they brought a mechanic on board to unbolt the belt at the seat end).

You are allowed to use the seat RF following the manufacturer's instructions, which clearly allow RF to 35 pounds.

Pixels

When I've had DD RFing, the person in front has tried to put their seat back, like pressed the button and PUSHed. They didn't get anywhere. I think they thought they did, though, because they put their seat back up at the end of the flight. Airline seats recline so little, anyway, it's not a huge loss. Nobody has said anything to me about not being able to recline.

Because of the limited head excursion room, and lack of top tethers, it may be even more of a safety difference on a plane than in a car (to RF instead of FF).

Athena

DD FFed on the plane and I actually had to ask the passenger in front to let me know if he was planning on reclining his seat since DD's legs had the potential to be crushed by his seat, due to how she was sitting higher up and further forward than a person sitting directly in the seat. The guy grumbled when I asked, then reclined his seat later without letting me know and we got lucky as DD had her legs crossed in her seat, but I jumped nonetheless as I had visions of her foot getting twisted or broken. He saw me jump and lean towards her (he was looking to his left so could look between the seats) and he put his seat back up and didn't recline for the rest of the trip.

So, my point is, they might not be able to recline if the child is FF either.

This is great info for my decision making about DD1 too! One option was to get a Scenera for DD2 and put DD1 FF in the MA, but I'd become concerned that the space taken by the seat would not leave enough room for tall almost 4 yo DD1 to fit and it sounds like my concern is valid. I hadn't thought about the actual physical risk of this and this may add some balance to the options when comparing this to the risk of her being in just the belt or a CARES harness when she'd be technically over their stated height limit (assuming she fits in it).

Thank you all for indulging my many questions. It is really helping me narrow down the options. Right now I am heavily leaning towards bring our MA for DD2 (for both the plane and rental car, hopefully RF in both). And for DD1, assuming they fit safely and DD1 likes them, getting an RSTV for the car and either using the plane's seat belt or buying a CARES for the flight. The only big downside now seems to be the significant cost for items I may not use again, but would not want to resell for a while in case we needed them again.

Athena

Just don't be confrontational so you don't get kicked off. ;)

:D I'll try! Seriously, thank you for sharing what worked for you.

Also, FF'ing Britaxes on airplanes can be a PITA, as you have to flip the buckle or use a belt extender to avoid getting the seat stuck on the plane (BTDT, they brought a mechanic on board to unbolt the belt at the seat end).

:eek: After reading instructions here on installing a MA FF on a plane, I told DH about how complicated it is, that I was so glad I'd found the instructions, and that we had to memorize the instructions and ask right away for the extender and was so not looking forward to it. I still think I should try to be prepared just in case, but now that I know how much easier it is, I am really hoping RF works out.

You are allowed to use the seat RF following the manufacturer's instructions, which clearly allow RF to 35 pounds.

Mine is only 33 pounds, but same idea. :) And DD2 is not near 33 pounds so we're good.

Because of the limited head excursion room, and lack of top tethers, it may be even more of a safety difference on a plane than in a car (to RF instead of FF).

Rf is sounding better and better!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you want to read the whole story and exact words that were said, I have a thread about our last trip here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=106999 :) FWIW, we had multiple flights and it only came up on one. On the others not an eye was batted at the RF big ginormous toddler, and the only questions asked about seats were "you know you have to put that in the window, right?" and "They're ticketed, right?" Otherwise it was all good. ;)

Athena

If you want to read the whole story and exact words that were said, I have a thread about our last trip here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=106999 :)

Thanks! I'll do that. Btw, how big was she? Just wondering because we will be flying in about 2 months when my DD2 will be 2 yo and she is currently approx. 35" and 27 pounds with clothes so hopefully will only be slightly bigger then.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, at the time she was wearing 24 months pants and 3T shirts. She weighed about 32 or 34 lbs. I forget her overall height at that time, but she was regularly mistaken, at 1 1/2, for a 3 year old.

Athena

Well, at the time she was wearing 24 months pants and 3T shirts. She weighed about 32 or 34 lbs. I forget her overall height at that time, but she was regularly mistaken, at 1 1/2, for a 3 year old.

My DD is smaller so, given most of your flights no objections were raised, hopefully they won't give me trouble about RF her. :)

I just read your other thread. It was great to read how you managed all that, three seats and three kids, especially when the carry straps disappeared at the last minute. I could see in the photos one reason people travel with Radians is their low profile giving the kids more FF space and was impressed with what a pro you are installing three seats three times in one day (shuttle-plane-car). Is that 80/20 the rule for the MA too? I hadn't thought about the what if it does not fit on the plane's seat. I think I will print out what you said and attempt to memorize it just in case. :) Thank you!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper was 3.5 one of the last times she rode rear facing on the plane (26 pounds or so in a 33 pound Wizard). I asked to see the manual, and the FA said yes, as long as I turned her around while she was looking it up. Since she left a gate agent to stand there and watch me, I started to put it in forward. I got it in pretty well, nearly to the point of not being able to undo it, when sure enough, I was right. I wasn't as good as KQ, since I had scraped up my hand decently dealing with uninstalling and reinstalling, so I just kept my mouth shut.

The Marathon will fit on the plane's seat, don't worry. Honest honest. :) We took our Wizard on everything from private six seaters to commercial prop planes to regular jets to jumbo jets. It installed everywhere. Just do it rear facing, and put the armrest up.

Wendy

Athena

Thank you so much! I'm feeling really confident about bringing the MA and RF it. It feels really good to have a plan.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Here's a (crappy cell phone :eek:) pic of DD2 RF'ing in her MA on a plane. She was 19 months and about 19 pounds. You can see it's pretty upright, but it fit. The flight attendant carried it on board and installed it for me (FF) and I flipped it. She did mention "oh you can't put it that way" but I stated she did not meet the minimum requirements for forward facing (she didnt; unlike KQ's daughter, at 19 months she easily passed for a ~12-month old) and the second flight attendant corrected the first and said it was absolutely fine to have her RF :)

0917080758.jpg

vonfirmath

:eek: After reading instructions here on installing a MA FF on a plane, I told DH about how complicated it is, that I was so glad I'd found the instructions, and that we had to memorize the instructions and ask right away for the extender and was so not looking forward to it. I still think I should try to be prepared just in case, but now that I know how much easier it is, I am really hoping RF works out.

My barely 2 year old (a bit shorter overall than 35" -- maybe 33?) rode rear-facing in a Britax convertible last September. One time we were forced to put it in Forward-facing. I simply complied because I did not want to be tossed off the plane. but I said something like "Okay, but I will need a seatbelt extender to do it" And they got one for me.

mum2two

Thanks all 3 of you for your responses. This has convinced me rear facing is the way to go!

My only reservation is will she and the seat fit? Has anyone had any trouble fitting a MA rear facing in an economy seat of a jet on a domestic US flight? Or fitting a tall 2 yo RF who will likely be about 35 or 35.5" tall? Although she's fine in the car, it seems like the backseat of the car has more of an angle to it allowing her more leg room.

ETA - And I just remembered they might give me a hard time about RF the seat, based on what I've read. So I should bring something proving I have the right to do so, right? And politely explain that it actually installs better that way?

I have often explained to the person in front of us that the seat if installed FF will put the child's feet and legs right at their seatback, so reclining will be difficult anyway and there might be some kicking no matter what I do...AND I ALWAYS OFFER TO BUY THEM A DRINK!

Eclipsepearl

Another solution, if you have more than one adult in your party is to offer to swap seats with that person who can't recline.

If you are flying with a group, just plan on who will be in front of the car seat.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Another solution, if you have more than one adult in your party is to offer to swap seats with that person who can't recline.

If you are flying with a group, just plan on who will be in front of the car seat.

Ooohhh....that is brilliant!:thumbsup: I will do just this on my upcoming flight this summer!!

Athena

Oops. I didn't notice notice there were more responses. Thank you!

Here's a (crappy cell phone :eek:) pic of DD2 RF'ing in her MA on a plane. She was 19 months and about 19 pounds. You can see it's pretty upright, but it fit.

My barely 2 year old (a bit shorter overall than 35" -- maybe 33?) rode rear-facing in a Britax convertible last September. One time we were forced to put it in Forward-facing. I simply complied because I did not want to be tossed off the plane. but I said something like "Okay, but I will need a seatbelt extender to do it" And they got one for me.

Thanks! It is helpful to hear and see that LOs fit well Rf in the MA on the planes.

I have often explained to the person in front of us that the seat if installed FF will put the child's feet and legs right at their seatback, so reclining will be difficult anyway and there might be some kicking no matter what I do...AND I ALWAYS OFFER TO BUY THEM A DRINK!

:thumbsup: Good idea! :D

Great idea. Unfortunately, we'll have two kids with two adults, but we are considering sitting in front of each other so that only one passenger will be in front of one of our kids. The question is which kid? RF seat or potentially kicking 4 yo? :whistle:

(So no one gets the wrong idea, we would tell her not to kick and stop her, but it could happen.)

Dillipop

Great idea. Unfortunately, we'll have two kids with two adults, but we are considering sitting in front of each other so that only one passenger will be in front of one of our kids. The question is which kid? RF seat or potentially kicking 4 yo? :whistle:

(So no one gets the wrong idea, we would tell her not to kick and stop her, but it could happen.)

It depends on the seat. What we did when we traveled with a rfer and ffer was to put the rfer behind the ffer. The ffer was in a radian and unlikely to kick the seat in front. The seat sits low enough to use the tray table and far enough back that the seat in front isn't "right there" like some other seats, like a marathon.

One reason that I like rfing a child on the plane is for my own selfish reasons. I get a ton more shoulder room sitting next to a rfing seat. I am not tiny, so the extra room is nice.

Athena

It depends on the seat. What we did when we traveled with a rfer and ffer was to put the rfer behind the ffer. The ffer was in a radian and unlikely to kick the seat in front. The seat sits low enough to use the tray table and far enough back that the seat in front isn't "right there" like some other seats, like a marathon.

The 4 yo will probably not be in a seat (possibly a harness) so it sounds like that might work for us too.

One reason that I like rfing a child on the plane is for my own selfish reasons. I get a ton more shoulder room sitting next to a rfing seat. I am not tiny, so the extra room is nice.

I like the sound of that extra shoulder room! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC