Going from a TF to a CA

jessi f

Will I hate it? I'm thinking about going ahead and swapping DDs TF for a CA. I really think she's going to hit 34 lbs right around 2ish and I would end up having to FF her if DH refuses to get another seat or having to weigh her and worry about her going over the limit every day. I :love: her TF and will be so sad to see it go but I really feel its the right thing. The main things I'm worried about are:

Does it feel rock solid? The TF fit feels like its welded to my car.

Do the sides feel substantial enough? I love the high fully foam lined sides of the TF. I wish the sides of the CA were lined but does that really make that much of a difference safety wise? Do the sides at least seem somewhat high?

Comfort? She's seems happy in her TF but I think the CA "pillows" may be better for sleeping.

Leg room?

Anything I'm forgetting that is really different between the 2? I dont like the 40" rule but I will feel ok ignoring it. I will go by the actual shell height instead of the headrest though, I think. I will miss the pretty cover but maybe when shes older she would think it was babyish anyways. The pink CA is up for sale On safety1st at least ;) And I might want to do a 3 across one day. The CA would be a better bet for that , right? Sorry for the 1000 ?s I just want to make sure I wont regret making the switch...

ADS

rodentranger

Will I hate it? I'm thinking about going ahead and swapping DDs TF for a CA. I really think she's going to hit 34 lbs right around 2ish and I would end up having to FF her if DH refuses to get another seat or having to weigh her and worry about her going over the limit every day. I :love: her TF and will be so sad to see it go but I really feel its the right thing. The main things I'm worried about are:

Does it feel rock solid? The TF fit feels like its welded to my car.
The CA itself is not as substantial of a seat as teh TF. (It's made by Dorel :rolleyes:) I'm not concerned though as I do get a very solid installation.
Do the sides feel substantial enough? I love the high fully foam lined sides of the TF. I wish the sides of the CA were lined but does that really make that much of a difference safety wise? Do the sides at least seem somewhat high?
I'm confident in teh safety of my CA. I think it has lower sides than the TF, but for me that's a plus as it give my leggy 3 yo more room.
Comfort? She's seems happy in her TF but I think the CA "pillows" may be better for sleeping.

Leg room?
There is plenty of leg room for my 38" tall 3 yo. See my siggy. He's comfortable and complains when he has to ride ff in the other ff seats I have. HE always asks my he's not in the orange seat.
Anything I'm forgetting that is really different between the 2? I dont like the 40" rule but I will feel ok ignoring it. I will go by the actual shell height instead of the headrest though, I think. I will miss the pretty cover but maybe when shes older she would think it was babyish anyways. The pink CA is up for sale On safety1st at least ;) And I might want to do a 3 across one day. The CA would be a better bet for that , right? Sorry for the 1000 ?s I just want to make sure I wont regret making the switch...

A three across situation will totally depend on what you're puzzling with and the vehicle. The CA didn't puzzle well with two MAs when tehy were all rf, but when I flipped the CA, they puzzle fine in a PIlot and an F350, but those are both wide vehicles. It also puzzled okay with a SR22.

DahliaRW

The CA does not feel as substantial. BUT, I feel it is perfectly safe. I LOVE the headwings and they are great for sleeping. Leg room is fantastic, pretty much the same as the radian, maybe a smidge less (but that could be due to teh more upright install).

And it's a ways off, but I really like how it works ffing as well. My nearly 3yo has ridden on two occassions ffing when we couldn't make rfing work in the vehicle we were using and it's nice and comfy for him. He slept in it that way. It also works well on a plane.

NannyMom

I will sometime soon be switching fro TFP to CA too (is the pink listed for sale now???). I don't love my TFP, but I've grown to really like it. I like the headwings on the CA, and I like that the harness adjuster is smooter.

jessi f

I will sometime soon be switching fro TFP to CA too (is the pink listed for sale now???). I don't love my TFP, but I've grown to really like it. I like the headwings on the CA, and I like that the harness adjuster is smooter.

The pink one is listed for sale now, only on the safety1st site. If you use the code FACEBOOK15 it takes $27 (15%) off.

I wish I didnt like my stupid TF so much. I almost teared up a little when I boxed it up today :rolleyes: But I didnt have time to return it so it's back in my car again. I went to target to lookat the CA and I do like it. Maybe I should just keep my TF and see if I can talk grandma into a CA for her car....:whistle:

NannyMom

I think you should keep the TF that you've been using and love and see how her growth goes. BabyS was 24 pounds at 12months, and 24 pounds at 15 months. I've been freaking about about her growth too, but now I suspect she may make it to 3 in a 35 pound seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC