Booster questions

mommyfrog

I want to get a booster for the 5 and 7 year old to use if they go somewhere with someone else. I ahve a Turbo Bosoter right now for the purpose but it expired a few months back and is nasty looking anyway!! So I went to Target because they have the Turbo Boosters on sale but didn't buy one for two reasons. One is they only have one boy fabric and one girl fabric, nothing gender nuetral and I'll be using it for both. The other reason is because I actually hate the Turbo Booster. It seems to fall into two pieces everytime I move it. So I was looking at the Evenflo Big Kid Booster, which I really liked and was actually 90 cents cheaper than the Graco on sale AND gender nuetral. But they didn't have any left. Then I got to reading and read that some boosters have to have seat back behind them. Is Evenflo one of them? I have short seats in my 15 passenger van and would need to use it in there this summer when I'm baby sitting. If it is, what other options do I have that don't cost an arm and a leg?!!

ADS

Maedze

Evenflo Big Kid doesn't have a vehicle head rest requirement. However, it's not a favorite. Even the deluxe version has very shallow headwings, and it's not great for positioning the belt correctly.

If you want something gender neutral that doesn't separate into a backless booster portion, what about a Recaro Vivo?

mommyfrog

I like the looks of those. I'm returning a recalled crib to Walmart today and if they give me cash I can go anywhere and buy a seat. If they give me store credit like Target did my sister, I'll have to get something from Walmart, but can order online with a gift card. So at Walmart they have The First Years Compass folding booster, Harmony Juvinile Dreamtime, Turbo Booster (which I'd rather avoid), and the Monterey(a bit more $$). OR I could just get a Nautilus for my niece I watch for my van that has lots of stupid lap belts. But that wouldn't be as easy to transfer to my sisters' cars when they take one of my kids. Well, probably easier than the Regents!! Decisions, decisions. And my 7 year old is right at the second slots down on the Regent, so would he fit in the harness of the Nautilus or would I have to make it a booster everytime?

ETA: Are there any stores that carry the Vivo in their store?

Maedze

I do not recommend the Compass. It tends to position the lap belt very poorly.

The Dreamtime doesn't have EPS foam, if that's important to you. The Monterey does the lap belt well, but doesn't tend to do the shoulder belt well, especially on smaller kids. Of all those choices, I would pick the Turbobooster and just be careful when you carry it :p Don't forget the screws in the armrests!

If you 7 year old is right *at* the second slots of the Regent, he is likely right *at* the top slots of the Nautilus.

mommyfrog

How small is small? My five year old is 44 inches and 45 pounds. My 7 year old is 48 inches and 50 pounds. My niece is 5 and the same size as my dd, maybe 1/2 an inch shorter. I don't know anything about EPS foam. Opinions on that? Does the Dreamtime position the belts well? I don't think they have it in stores to try it out. Thanks for all your help. I've only had the Turbo Boosters and years ago something maybe with a kangaroo on them. or maybe they were called Jupiter. Gosh, that was a while ago. I loved those but they were in an accident and were replaced with the Turbos.

ETA: Definitely the Jupiters. Loved them. All foam and so comfy and light weight.

Maedze

Those are small kids :) The Monterey *might* fit the 7 year old ok particularly if he's very broad shouldered. The five year olds will likely not fit the MOnterey well at all.

EPS foam is not required for a child restraint. It is impact foam, the same stuff that lines a bike helmet to protect the brain from serious injury. It is important to *me* as a parent, for a forward facing or boostered child.

I believe the Dreamtime positions the belt well but don't quote me on that one :eek:

mommyfrog

He's not broad at all. Darnit. Well, I guess I can order a Vivo online or deal with a Turbo. I don't think I like the idea of them hitting only plastic if we were hit from the side.

mommyfrog

I remembered one more thing. I have really squishy seats in my van and the Turbo Booster fell over with my older dd in it everytime I turned a corner. I just remembered I need to get a booster that latches in. That makes it a bit more tricky. Back to the drawing board here. I know the Monterey does but you said it won't fit them well. What else latches that is not too much more $$ that would fit them? Or maybe I should just get something with a harness for my niece to use in my van and get a booster for my kids to use on the go. ugh!! I'm just thinking outloud here.....so niece is 43.5 inches, 45 pounds, and I can measure her torso when she gets here later, but she is well below the second slots down in a Regent. So my choices are what? Nautilus, Maestro, Generations 65? Any of those sound like a good bet for her? And I guess I'll just suck it up and deal with a Turbo for extra seat for my kids in other's cars. That'll help keep costs down. Or get a good booster that latches in for my van for niece and kids on the go. Hmmmmm....I better think about this for a while.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
You might be able to get a Maestro, use it for your niece harnessed, and then use it for your 5yo in booster mode on the go. I don't know if it is allowed to LATCH in booster mode, though.

ETA: Spreadsheet indicates you *can* LATCH in booster mode. I don't have the manual handy, so don't quote me on that, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC