Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Frontier 85

Frontier 85

I am thinking about getting a Frontier 85 I will be using the five point harness for a while but what I want to know is how easy it to use as a booster and how does it rate on safety.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Re: Frontier 85

There are no safety ratings.

The previous model worked well as a booster, I would imagine the new model does too. When you are trying it out in booster mode you want to make sure the lap belt lays low on the hips, touching the thighs, and the shoulder belt is positioned "just right" between the shoulder and neck. You can order a "secure guard" clip from britax, which acts as an anti submarine clip and may possibly increase protection in a crash. That and being able to latch it in booster mode are the two highlights of using the seat in booster mode.

Using latch in booster mode will add some ease of use- you won't need to buckle the seat when unoccupied. All boosters are used about the same way, you route the lap and shoulder belt properly around the child, buckle, and remove any slack. So it should be about as easy to use as any other booster that allows use of LATCH. If you add the secure guard you'll have the extra step of fastening it before use.
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

Re: Frontier 85

The design and geometry of the Frontier 85 is quite similar to the original Frontier for booster use. The only major disadvantage I can see compared to dedicated high back boosters is that the Frontier 85 is quite a bit heavier and bulkier like other combination harness/boosters.

Ultimately, the safety of a booster largely depends on how it fits to your child in your vehicle and how easy it is for your and your child to get it correctly adjusted. Some boosters just don't work well with the belt systems in some vehicles. The belts don't fit right or perhaps they get caught up in the shoulder belt guide. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to try it, so make sure you have a good return policy just in case!