Frontier 85

Bella_a1

I am thinking about getting a Frontier 85 I will be using the five point harness for a while but what I want to know is how easy it to use as a booster and how does it rate on safety.

ADS

Evolily

There are no safety ratings.

The previous model worked well as a booster, I would imagine the new model does too. When you are trying it out in booster mode you want to make sure the lap belt lays low on the hips, touching the thighs, and the shoulder belt is positioned "just right" between the shoulder and neck. You can order a "secure guard" clip from britax, which acts as an anti submarine clip and may possibly increase protection in a crash. That and being able to latch it in booster mode are the two highlights of using the seat in booster mode.

Using latch in booster mode will add some ease of use- you won't need to buckle the seat when unoccupied. All boosters are used about the same way, you route the lap and shoulder belt properly around the child, buckle, and remove any slack. So it should be about as easy to use as any other booster that allows use of LATCH. If you add the secure guard you'll have the extra step of fastening it before use.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The design and geometry of the Frontier 85 is quite similar to the original Frontier for booster use. The only major disadvantage I can see compared to dedicated high back boosters is that the Frontier 85 is quite a bit heavier and bulkier like other combination harness/boosters.

Ultimately, the safety of a booster largely depends on how it fits to your child in your vehicle and how easy it is for your and your child to get it correctly adjusted. Some boosters just don't work well with the belt systems in some vehicles. The belts don't fit right or perhaps they get caught up in the shoulder belt guide. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to try it, so make sure you have a good return policy just in case!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC