Question Third row SUVs with two carseats?

cwesis

My computer at work crashed twice when I was composing this message, once when I hit the 'send' button. :mad: Hopefully the third time is a charm... but if an earlier version of this shows up miraculously at some point in the future, I apologize for the duplication. :eek:

I am desperately trying to avoid buying a minivan. I may yet be seduced by the sliding doors (and opens with a press of a button on the remote! :love:), child-friendly layout, greater cargo space, better gas mileage, and (usually) lower sticker price, but I just can't bring myself to do it yet until I exhaust other possibilities. :rolleyes:

Here is my situation: I have a 2yo who RFs in a Britax Boulevard and am 6 months pregnant with #2. We are currently very happy in my Nissan Rogue, but when #2 arrives, the addition of a second carseat will limit adult passenger room to the front seat. Most of the time, that's fine. But we get semi-regular visits from various grandmas, and occasional visits from other family (we have no family in the area), and I don't relish having to take two cars if more than two adults want to go somewhere. Hence my revelation that I need a new car.

If I take a minivan off of the table, that leaves SUVs with a third row. I suppose an SUV that is a little wider and larger than the Rogue could work, but that's even more limited. In my brief scouting so far, I'm pretty skeptical about the capability of using the third row of most SUVs without having to uninstall at least one of the carseats (or one of the grandmas becoming a contortionist). I don't want the solution to be moving one carseat to the third row when grandma's in town-- I'm just not comfortable with my installation skills to do that more than I have to.

Here are the trucks I'm considering right now:
-Honda Pilot
-Toyota Highlander
-Nissan Pathfinder
-Subaru Tribeca
-Acura MDX
-Mazda CX-7 (not sure on the model name- something like that)

My specific question: Can I make 2 carseats work in any of these vehicles and NOT have to move them around to accommodate a grandma visit? Or am I just doomed to getting a minivan? I am aware that the third row is less than comfortable for anybody who isn't pint-sized, but it would be for short, in town rides. I am looking to buy new but might consider buying used if a particular earlier model would work better.

In the brief time that I've been looking, I've discovered that car dealers are completely worthless when discussing these issues. The Nissan dealer, uncomfortable that I pulled him off of his script, actually suggested that the grandmas enter via the trunk to get to the third row. :mad: Um, no. I hear y'all have the best advice around for this type of topic, so here I am.

Help! Pleeease! :)

Adele

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Hey Adele,

I can only help you with what I know, and it would be limited help, because I have a slightly older model year, but here you go.

I have (as noted in my sig) a 2006 Pilot. Before my signature is deceptive, you need to realize that the third row of this vehicle is fairly small. It is truly a minor miracle that I have been able to get three car seats back there. You could probably squeeze three super-skinny adults back there, but otherwise, I would anticipate only putting two back there. I'm not sure, however, how the newer generation of Pilots is with that.

In my Pilot, I could easily put two seats on the 60 portion of the second row, leaving the 40 portion to fold down for third row access. It needs to be the right combination of seats, but I have had many seats that would fit the bill. I can tell you that at least in my year, a RF Radian fits beautifully upright in the center, and I would imagine you could puzzle the Boulevard with it. If you are skipping the bucket with #2, the Radian fits most babies from birth, and then when the baby gets large enough to fit the Boulevard, you could switch #s 1 & 2 so that the older child could continue to RF to the limits of the Radian before you'd need to come up with another configuration. (Possibly, turn the Boulevard FF and put #2 in the Radian, but that's quite a ways down the road!)

You could probably also fit a larger RF seat in that spot, I just happen to know that the Radian works well there and would allow the 40 portion to fold.

Do you need space for just "a" passenger, or do you really need space for two? It's entirely possible that you can fit two seats side-by-side in a Rogue and have space for a third adult back there. At worst, you might have to buy two new seats, but that would certainly be cheaper than a new car. (I drove a Rogue as a rental, and was able to make a 3-across work, which is why I think that it's do-able.)

Also, just for the record... although I agree the dealer's suggestion of having grandparents scale the third row is a bit odd, it may not be *totally* out of the question. I have all of my third row RFing, and last week my mom was here for a visit -- she climbed right up in the tail with me to buckle the kiddos in. She's 60, albeit in very good shape for her age.

A few other selling points (for me) on the Pilot include lap-shoulder belts and tethers in all rear positions. Be aware that at least mine has LATCH only second row outboard, so you'd need to use a seatbelt for that center install. I don't know about new models.

I hope that helps, and hopefully those with other three-row SUVs will chime in to give you a hand as well. :)

mpk3

My specific question: Can I make 2 carseats work in any of these vehicles and NOT have to move them around to accommodate a grandma visit? Or am I just doomed to getting a minivan?

I don't think you're doomed to getting a minivan. But, if you don't want to move carseats around you might want to consider an SUV with captains chairs that allows a "path" to the third row. You could put each child in a captain chair and then the path would be clear inbetween for Grandma or whoever to hop into the back row.

I'm not familiar with all the vehicles on your list, but I do know that the GMC Acadia and the Buick Enclave are examples of SUVs with the captains chairs. Have you looked at those cars? You might want to add them to your list.

I have a 2010 Acura MDX. I have two kids in car seats in row 3 and one rear facing child driver's side outboard in row 2. By doing this, I have room for two adults in the 2nd row without having to shuffle car seats.

The MDX has three sets of LATCH in row 2. That is helpful for doing different car seat configurations.

To access row 3 in the MDX, a portion of row 2 must be pushed and slid forward. If you don't have your carseats in the right spot in row 2, then this cannot be done. This is why I suggested SUVs with captians chairs in row 2 so you don't have to worry about pushing/sliding row 2 and will never need to move your car seats...a concern I know you have.

Would you be comfortable putting one child outboard and one child in the center? If you have the right car seats that will "puzzle" well together, then you would still be able to push/slide the empty portion of row 2 in order to obtain row 3 access in the MDX when you need it.

So, if I were in your shoes, I'd look at the MDX because of the ability to configure several ways in row 2 (with the right car seats) and I'd also look at something like the Acadia and Enclave that have captain chairs, instead of a bench, in row 2. :thumbsup:

heasmommy

Senior Community Member
For what you are looking for I *personally* would not recommend a Nissan Pathfinder. My hubby has one with the third row and it is a complete joke. It is very tiny and offers no leg room. We have 3 kids and have them all in the middle row. I do not consider it to be very car seat friendly. We could not put 2 seats side by side and flip the seat forward to access the third row. I completely agree that if you really want an SUV instead of a minivan I would look at ones that offer captain chairs. For the record I have a Nissan Quest (with all the power doors) and my hubby and I :love: to drive it.

Melanie

I've been looking at some of those vehicles to replace my van. I'll pass on what I've found:

The Mazda 9 (the 7 is smaller and no 3rd row) has no top tethers in the third row. This was a deal breaker for me since I want to have the option of putting a FF seat back there.

The Chevy Traverse (clone of GMC Arcadia) has no head rest for the middle 2nd row or 3rd row. It would limit those spots to only car seats or boosters. I personally thought that was just ridiculous for a family vehicle.

Not sure about the latest generation Toyota Hylander, but the previous one had a teeny back seat. At age 11 my DD was complaining about the lack of room.

I've heard the Pathfinder has a tiny 3rd row seat.

Haven't personally looked at the Acura MDX-but it seems well liked. I have read reviews saying it's an overpriced Honda Pilot-but I don't have an opinion either way.

The Honda Pilot is nice. I'm deciding between it and 1 other for my next vehicle. The latest generation started in 09. It gains a little more cargo room, LATCH 2nd row middle and 1 full LATCH set in the 3rd row. The prior generation had full LATCH 2nd row outboard only I believe. Top tethers are in all spots for 09 and after. I think they were in all for prior generation too. All seating spots have headrests and shoulder belts. I've had car seats in my dad's Ridgeline. I think the 2nd row is the same seat. We've had a Frontier, RF MA and till have plenty of room for an adult back there. The third row in the Pilot has enough room for 2 adults comfortably and 3 skinny adults could be squished in it. The second row slides forward and back so you can allocate more room to whichever row needs it more. I'm finding that a Pilot a year or two old is almost the same price as a new one.

The other vehicle I'm considering is the Ford Flex. It's very boxy. Most people love or hate the looks. It seats 2 in the third row and 2nd row is either a bench with 3 seats or 2 captains chairs. I think the 2nd row bench slides forward and back, but that might just be on the higher end models.

Don't believe a thing the car salespeople tell you. Some are clueless and some will out and out lie to you. They really know nothing about car seat stuff. Look up the manuals online or ask around here for the real answers.

How many people total will you need to haul? If it's just 5 you may be able to get by with your Rogue. We put 2 car seats and an adult in the back of our Altima all the time.

mom2juliarose

How often do the grandmas come visit? Just curious. We currently both drive Honda CR-Vs and when faced with buying me a new vehicle, we considered something bigger... but in the end we decided that the grandparents or family members visited so rarely (1x a year at most) that it didn't make sense to spend the extra $$ for an occasion that happened 1 out of 52 weeks of the year. Yes, taking 2 cars is no fun when all are present, but a larger car bill (whether you do car payments or do it outright) isn't fun, either.
DH actually had some calculations he did to explain why a bigger car all year round for those certain times was less cost-efficient than using 2 cars during those times.
But again, if the visits are frequent, that's a whole different ballgame.

To be honest, I think, of the choices you listed, you're limited to the Honda Pilot/MDX or the Mazda CX-9. I'd look at the GM crossovers too (Traverse/Acadia).

My truck is essentially a Pilot/MDX with the 3rd row area roof lopped off. We have 2 car seats side by side leaving one seat open for the occasional guest. Actually, we have the same setup in our Lexus.

Depending on how large grandma is, I'd first try doing a side by side install in your Rogue. I know it's a small vehicle (essentially a raised Sentra wagon), but maybe you could get by with buying two Radians and installing them side by side.

We're doing the minivan route as soon as we've saved up a bit. Just waaaayyyy too functional/practical vs an SUV. It's not even close.

AliciaM

CPS Technician
I have an 06 Pilot as well. The 3rd row is small, but I have found several configurations that work and still allow access to the third row, or leave room in the second row for passengers. With only two carseats I would think you could do this no problem. Currently I have my DD in a RF Marathon 2nd row outboard, DS2 in a Frontier 2nd row center and DS1 in a Frontier 3rd row. The 40 portion of the 2nd row can still be moved forward for 3rd row access. I just purchased two Radians that will replace the Marathon and one Frontier to allow for even more passenger room.

I will say that the only high-weight harness combination seat that I have found that will fit in the passenger outboard of the 3rd row is the Radian. The Marathon (and I'm assuming other seats that sit up on a base) will also fit there. But Frontier and Nautilus will not fit there due to the way the buckle stalk is positioned. So just something to think about for down the road.

In your situation I would suggest two seats side-by-side in the 2nd row, still allowing for the 40 section of the seat to move. Or, as others have said, an SUV with captains chairs. I know the Saturn Outlook also has this option in addition to the others mentioned.

Pixels

Consider the Mazda5 as well, if it's not too minivan-ish for you. I think it's considered a micro-van in other countries; here it's considered something else, don't remember what. Sliding doors, decent fuel economy, 3 rows (6 seats) with an aisle between the two second row seats to get to the third. And if you only have one third-row passenger, it might be easier to fold down the other half of the third row and yes, enter through the hatch.

You mentioned that you're not that comfortable with your carseat installation skills. Can you meet up with a tech to make sure you're doing it right, they can show you some tricks to make it easier, and you can get some practice? There's a list of techs from this board in the Articles forum.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
When I decided on getting the Mazda 5 for my family of 6, a lot of people asked "What about when people visit or you travel?" I decided that for what I'd pay in monthly payments and gas for a larger vehicle, I could just rent something larger when we need it for guests or travel. How much that would benefit your family will depend on how often you have guests, of course, but it's something else to consider. :)

Melanie

I have another idea. Hyundai Veracruz. I know nothing about it except what I've seen online. It's supposed to be very nice inside. It has 3 across the 2nd row and 2 in the second row.

ETA: Ok, from what I can tell the Veracruz doesn't have top tethers in the third row. You wouldn't be able to have FF car seats in that third row. Bummer....

Last edited:

aeormsby

I have a Saturn Outlook (same as the Acadia, Traverse & Enclave). Sounds like you want to be able to have the 2 kids center & outboard so it's easy to fit a 3rd person in the backseat, or do you want to always have access to the 3rd row also?

In the outlook it's very easy to have 2 seats side by side, we did that for quite a while until DD was FF (then there was too much picking on each other with 1 RF & 1 FF). But the easiest way to do that was to have 1 seat on the '40' section with the other seat in the center, so there was room for 1 more person in the back seat but seats would have to be moved for access to the 3rd row. I don't have a problem moving one of the seats to the back row every once in a while. We do that when family visits, about 4-6 times a year and a few more times when we want to carpool with friends or something. It is possible to get 2 seats on the 60 section in the 2nd row, but it's not easy to find the right 2 seats that will fit there and allow the 40 section to flip forward (I can do it with a MA outboard & Uptown center).

I'd suggest taking your seats and going to check out some of the options your thinking about.

ETA - that the 3rd row is actually pretty comfy unless you're trying to put 3 people back there. Which is doable for short drives, but I wouldn't take a road trip with 8 people in it.

cwesis

Thank you all for your help- this is very useful. :) To answer a few of the questions raised- we get grandmother visits about every 6-8 weeks on average, sometimes more frequently than that (3 sets of grandparents). We also get occasional other visits. I've considered keeping the Rogue and ditching the Blvd for a Radian, but I think we could use the additional cargo space too- the Rogue is pretty small and barely fits our needs for cargo as a family of 3. My plan is to use a bucket seat (most likely a Snugride) with a base for DD2- does that change the calculus any (i.e., makes it harder to fit carseats in a configuration I might want)? I think I really just need to suck it up and get over my anxiety about my installation skills. :p I do know somebody locally who could help. I have a shoulder injury that required surgery last summer (earned while trying to keep DD1 happy in her bucket seat as an infant on the passenger side the car), which has interfered with my ability to get the best fit effectively, but that is finally getting better.

I read a review in cars.com that the 2010 MDX is hard for installing carseats-- I wasn't entirely clear on the reasoning, though... anybody hear anything about that?

Thanks again for all the help!
Adele

AliciaM

CPS Technician
Well, I wouldn't hold your breath for more cargo space with an SUV. My Pilot actually has LESS cargo space than our Ford Focus did. No trunk. And when the third row is in use, the space behind it is very minimal. One of the downsides of an SUV unless you go full size with a Suburban or something.

JCsMomma

I didn't read through all the other responses yet, so forgive me if I repeat anything! I just wanted to answer you because I was in sort of the same situation, except I was going from a Nissan Pathfinder.

The Pathfinder has a 60/40 split so you could potentially put one carseat in the middle of the second row and the other outboard, leaving the one side to flip forward for loading passengers into the third row. However, when we had our Pathfinder my DS was RF in the middle in a Marathon, and when I'd flip that seat forward it would take a little effort to get it past the seat (although it didn't mess up the install at all). The third row is a little small... definitely ok for occasional use but you don't have a lot of cargo space unless the third row is down. We did get good gas mileage though, and I really loved the car overall.

We ended up going with a Nissan Armada. Probably bigger than most on your list, but we wanted something bigger. Even with the third row in use we have quite a bit of cargo space, and if we ever have another child there is a top tether in the middle position of the third row. We have actually put my DS there on occasion so another adult could ride in the second row on longer trips. We have second row captains chairs with a removable console in the middle so you can just walk through to the third row. All of our family lives out of town so we have extra riders quite frequently. Anyway, our gas mileage is pretty horrible but overall it fits our needs perfectly and I love it. I don't plan on getting a new car until I drive this one into the ground :)

ETA: The third row is actually really roomy in the Armada. I am average sized and can sit back there comfortably. I have had two HBB back there, as well as three adults. That was a little bit of a squeeze, but two average sized adults could fit easily with plenty of legroom.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My Pilot actually has LESS cargo space than our Ford Focus did. No trunk. And when the third row is in use, the space behind it is very minimal.

Yes, this. When only using the front two rows, I don't think the cargo space is bad at all. But with the third row up, I cannot fit a stroller in. Well, I can't fit my Graco travel system-type single in; one of my daycare parents has a Chicco Umbrella that I have borrowed on a semi-permanant basis lol. But even that lives in my employer's garage, I just can't keep it in there and access the third row the way I need to.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I would get something with middle row captains chairs so whomever is visiting can walk through to the third row to get to their seat. If you go the other route with a middle bench seat in the smaller SUV's you are looking at, you are most likely going to have to move carseats to accommodate guests.

The Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon has the option for middle row captains seats and the third row is plenty big enough for adults.

Or there is the Ford Expedition which also has optional captains chairs and again the third row is plenty big enough for adults. The nice thing about the Expedition is the third row folds flat into the floor so when you don't need it it won't be in the way.

Another one to look at is the Toyota Sequioa which in the limited model you can get captains chairs. The Sequioa also has a flat folding third row...Toyota has really good financing offers right now also.

I used to have a MDX and I loved that car so, so, so much but with frequent visitors and two kids you are going to have to put at least one carseat in the third row. And there is noway you are putting Grandma back there.;)

autumnlily

The Toyota Seqouia has a decent 3rd back row. And, is easy enough to get 2 side by side seats on the 60split (2nd row) so that the 40 split can be flipped forward for back seat space.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
We ended up going with a Nissan Armada. Probably bigger than most on your list, but we wanted something bigger. Even with the third row in use we have quite a bit of cargo space, and if we ever have another child there is a top tether in the middle position of the third row. We have actually put my DS there on occasion so another adult could ride in the second row on longer trips. We have second row captains chairs with a removable console in the middle so you can just walk through to the third row. All of our family lives out of town so we have extra riders quite frequently. Anyway, our gas mileage is pretty horrible but overall it fits our needs perfectly and I love it. I don't plan on getting a new car until I drive this one into the ground :)

ETA: The third row is actually really roomy in the Armada. I am average sized and can sit back there comfortably. I have had two HBB back there, as well as three adults. That was a little bit of a squeeze, but two average sized adults could fit easily with plenty of legroom.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. I can put two Britax Frontiers side by side in the second row and still flip the outboard seat to access the third row. I've also had a ffing Radian and two adults in the third row upon occasion. It's a bit cramped to do it, but it is doable. I'm 5'5" and my oldest child is 5'9" and we frequently share the 3rd row on road trips to watch movies. The gas mileage isn't great, but isn't too terrible either. I get 18mpg in the city. The best thing about the Armada, it has the same turning radius as a sedan.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC